Sprint Q4 2014 earnings report

Ascertion

Sprint now covers 270 Million POPs with LTE, and 125 Million on 2.5Ghz.  Not bad.

I can see 300 Million Pop's with LTE by end of year and 200 Million POPs for 2.5 by the end of the year. You heard it here first  :tu:

• Like 3

from Q&A:

how will they get message out about improved network. May start to put it in advertising (at local levels). waiting for next root metrics results

I think that's smart but also as scores for early 2015 start to pop up they can put a little more work in on cities that they may have scored low on.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Only problem with using 1.9 for UL and 2.5 for DL, if you don't have the same coverage/footprint it won't work. Can't have that downstream without a usable upstream. So there would need to be intelligence that detects this and flips your device off somewhere where you have both, in such a condition. Where would that be? 800? Unless they do that with 600 if they buy it. Another long term goal and probably another round of handset upgrades. I'm starting to sound like somebody right? 

• Like 1

Postpaid phones still not positive

Postpaid metrics improving• Postpaid phone losses of 205k compared to 1.8M in prior 3 quarters• Smartphones represent 97% of Postpaid phone sales• 81% of Postpaid smartphone base on LTE devices• Postpaid device sales on financing (Easy Pay + Leasing) grew to 46%

Post-Paid adds, simply will NOT turn around until the Network Experience is consistent... No amount of "Gimmicks" (Sorry Robert) will change that at this point.

It has to be ALL ABOUT NETWORK, NOW, Nothing else will work, Nothing!  

• Like 3

Only problem with using 1.9 for UL and 2.5 for DL, if you don't have the same coverage/footprint it won't work. Can't have that downstream without a usable upstream. So there would need to be intelligence that detects this and flips your device off somewhere where you have both, in such a condition. Where would that be? 800? Unless they do that with 600 if they buy it. Another long term goal and probably another round of handset upgrades. I'm starting to sound like somebody right? 

If 2.5 dies off, it'll switch to 1.9 for both directions. If you're in range of 1.9 uplink, you're in range of 1.9 downlink

• Like 1

from Q&A:

how will they get message out about improved network. May start to put it in advertising (at local levels). waiting for next root metrics results

Can't really hit the Marketing message hard in the way we want Sprint to, until the Network experience is consistent... Right now its still too "Incomplete" to make claims. 

Sprint may also be at the mercy of waiting for the "Media" (Tech Blogs) to Validate its claims of a Much Improved Network, by showing head to head testing in various environments before the public will start to believe any "Sprint Works Now" type messaging. The potential Customers will need to see "Official" evidence first that. 

• Like 5

I think the massive improvement we've seen via Rootmetrics is proof the network has come a long way. I am expecting further big improvements and moves up in rankings over this 1st half of 2015.

I'm excited and rooting for Sprint AND T-Mobile there.  It's nice to see markets where the underdogs overcome the big two.  Sprint's reliability appears to be consistent in most of the markets, just need those data speeds, which is exactly what 2.5Ghz is for.

• Like 2

Go to a sprint store and try! Ever since the new loyalty program I think sprint made some of the legacy plans available up to 10 lines

Ah crap...reading the FAQ looks like the offer is expired.

You had to add a line to your account by 1/15/15 and purchase the phone via a lease or Easy Pay. Account had to remain active during 14-day return period and remain in good standing to receive each monthly service credit.

stock up about 4% at this point.

• Like 1

H is right next to g which is b25. 5mhZ is not that much.

Why would att vzw trade spectrum for which they have the handsets and network TODAY for spectrum for which they have neither?

Because they need the spectrum. Not now but soon. They would also do it to stick it to Dish.

Because they need the spectrum. Not now but soon. They would also do it to stick it to Dish.

I still say that there still needs to be a stronger emphasis on utilizing existing spectrum more efficiently and finding ways to increase capacity by way of new RF technologies. There isn't an infinite amount of RF spectrum out there, and only so much spectrum can be yanked from other services.

• Like 2

If 2.5 dies off, it'll switch to 1.9 for both directions. If you're in range of 1.9 uplink, you're in range of 1.9 downlink

Still a downside then until they fill in all those gaps. Those P-Cells will help a little being 1.9 only, but they need to increase macro cell development. Still though, another round of handset upgrades. You know Legere wouldn't be able to make so much fun of Sprint if Sprint would stop giving him the ammo. 

I love the comment about having a few hundred less stores than T-Mobile. Mis-focused their energies for making that statement. 

Then there's the root metrics scores. They don't mean squat when the numbers can be skewed.

Post-Paid adds, simply will NOT turn around until the Network Experience is consistent... No amount of "Gimmicks" (Sorry Robert) will change that at this point.

It has to be ALL ABOUT NETWORK, NOW, Nothing else will work, Nothing!  

What matters right now is that Sprint has slowed down the amount of people leaving for other wireless providers. 

So will the note edge or g flex 2 will support TD/FDD LTE CA? Or did they give a time frame when these will be out?

If this question has been answered already I apologize. Haven't had time to read the whole thread

Neither of those devices support TDD/FDD LTE CA.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

$1.9 Billion write-down for a reduction in value of the Sprint name.  How does one even calculate that?

In FASB accounting (including IASB), Goodwill needs to have an impairment analysis every quarter.  At all of my clients, it is a sophisticated caluclation that us, external auditors, agree with for the issuance of the Q and perform detailed procedures over the analysis for K.

So will the note edge or g flex 2 will support TD/FDD LTE CA? Or did they give a time frame when these will be out?

If this question has been answered already I apologize. Haven't had time to read the whole thread

No this is long term.

I still say that there still needs to be a stronger emphasis on utilizing existing spectrum more efficiently and finding ways to increase capacity by way of new RF technologies. There isn't an infinite amount of RF spectrum out there, and only so much spectrum can be yanked from other services.

P-cell is a great way to accomplish that but the drawback is that it needs a lot of cheap fronthaul.