Any news on the Kyocera DuraScout / Brigadier (AKA: E6782) ???

grndslm

I've had the Kyocera Torque for nearly two years, and I *love* it.  #1 problem was the lack of internal storage.  #2 problem was the low pixel density.  #3 problem was the battery cover would pop off maybe 20% of the time that I dropped it on concrete.  #4 problem was being unable to use the screen with gloves or when it had the slightest bit of water on it.

The Kyocera DuraScout / Brigadier seem to solve all four of these problems, add a faster quad-core processor, an even larger 3,100 mAh battery, and even add a "Sapphire Shield" screen, which makes it virtually scratchproof... as long as you don't put it in your pocket with diamonds (and/or maybe sand?).

I'm REALLY digging this device.  It appears since Verizon has the Brigadier already, the DuraScout will be an "open" world phone.  I figured if there was any place that had a good idea whether or not this phone was coming to Sprint.... S4GRU was that place.  Any news??

Otherwise, I'll more than likely just use my upgrade credit for a Note 4 or possibly the LG G Flex 2.  I doubt I'd be able to find a decent case for the Flex 2, however... and honestly, either phone with cases are not going to be incredibly pocketable  I *REALLY* want a DuraScout!! 

Yea... I don't think I'm buying an S5 Sport.

From the looks of Kyocera's site, this *is* a "world phone", so I guess I'll pay out of pocket eventually if LTE can be used on Sprint:

Radios CDMA 1x RevA/LTE Cat. 4/SVLTE/GSM/UMTS/HSPA

What is LTE Cat. 4 && SVLTE ??  It doesn't show what Bands it uses.  Is that incredibly important??

EDIT:  Well, I found out that LTE Cat. 4 is increased bandwidth and SVLTE is simultaneous voice & LTE.  What I'm really wantint to know, is would an open DuraScout (not to be confused with the DuraForce for AT&T) function as expected on Sprint?

Edited by grndslm

Yea... I don't think I'm buying an S5 Sport.

From the looks of Kyocera's site, this *is* a "world phone", so I guess I'll pay out of pocket eventually if LTE can be used on Sprint:

Radios CDMA 1x RevA/LTE Cat. 4/SVLTE/GSM/UMTS/HSPA

What is LTE Cat. 4 && SVLTE ?? It doesn't show what Bands it uses. Is that incredibly important??

EDIT: Well, I found out that LTE Cat. 4 is increased bandwidth and SVLTE is simultaneous voice & LTE. What I'm really wantint to know, is would an open DuraScout (not to be confused with the DuraForce for AT&T) function as expected on Sprint?

Question is, will Sprint white list the ESN for this device, and are the CDMA radios disabled in firmware. We don't know.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

#3 problem was the battery cover would pop off maybe 20% of the time that I dropped it on concrete. 

While I'm concerned that you have dropped your phone at least 5 times on concrete, I'm also troubled by the fact that your primary worry with doing so is whether the battery cover will come off, and not whether the phone will break.

And btw, the cover coming off reduces the impact on the phone itself, making it less likely to break - it's actually a benefit. 

Any idea what are all the supported bands? I am assuming Quad-band GSM, but what about the WCDMA and LTE bands? Does it support Band 10 CDMA?

I need to upgrade my dad's phone. He loved his old DuraXT but realized that a smartphone would be more useful. He's using my old single-band Galaxy S3 that he has come to dislike (he's still new to smartphones). He's fearful that it will break easily and complains of the poor battery life. 

Where can we buy one unlocked? I checked the kyocera website and was redirected to bluegrass cellular to purchase. even if Sprint can't whitelist it, I would consider a GSM provider for him just so he can have a rugged smart phone.

While I'm concerned that you have dropped your phone at least 5 times on concrete, I'm also troubled by the fact that your primary worry with doing so is whether the battery cover will come off, and not whether the phone will break.

And btw, the cover coming off reduces the impact on the phone itself, making it less likely to break - it's actually a benefit.

I have purposely THROWN this phone on the ground to demonstrate how tough this phone is.  *I* am not troubled or worried about the phone breaking at all.  My REAL worry is that if I drop the phone at work, the battery cover pops off and lands in a big mud puddle.... that the "waterproofing" of the phone becomes non-existent.  The benefit to a drop proof phone is that when I, say, leave it in my lap while driving... and step out of the car.... I will know that the phone will continue to work until my 2-yr contract is up.  I enjoy my smartphone and not having to deal with the replacement process.  It's a major PITA. 

Any idea what are all the supported bands? I am assuming Quad-band GSM, but what about the WCDMA and LTE bands? Does it support Band 10 CDMA?

I need to upgrade my dad's phone. He loved his old DuraXT but realized that a smartphone would be more useful. He's using my old single-band Galaxy S3 that he has come to dislike (he's still new to smartphones). He's fearful that it will break easily and complains of the poor battery life. 

Where can we buy one unlocked? I checked the kyocera website and was redirected to bluegrass cellular to purchase. even if Sprint can't whitelist it, I would consider a GSM provider for him just so he can have a rugged smart phone.

Wow.. I guess they just added the Bluegrass carrier option.  Didn't see that a couple days ago.  Time flies when you're having fun, I guess!