FCC commissioner calls out Dish for Designated Entity bidding in AWS-3 Auction

lou99/maximus1987

Me too. That's why I hope Sprint keeps ALL its spectrum AND deploys ALL of it i.e. beyond the 120MHz that its current hardware can handle.

Then let's see them utilize it. I don't think they have plans for more than 3x20 carrier aggregation in the b41 band. Now if they use as supplemental download for their PCS then theoretically they can get close to 400Mbps on that 3x20. The problem then becomes where is the revenue that justifies 1.2Gbps per site going to come from. I see very few places (NYC, San Fran) that have the population density to absorb that bandwidth and to provide the income. Unless they are the dumb pipe for somebody like Google or Apple's or Dish's OTT video plans. Then you will need much cheaper backhaul plans.

Then let's see them utilize it. I don't think they have plans for more than 3x20 carrier aggregation in the b41 band. Now if they use as supplemental download for their PCS then theoretically they can get close to 400Mbps on that 3x20. The problem then becomes where is the revenue that justifies 1.2Gbps per site going to come from. I see very few places (NYC, San Fran) that have the population density to absorb that bandwidth and to provide the income. Unless they are the dumb pipe for somebody like Google or Apple's or Dish's OTT video plans. Then you will need much cheaper backhaul plans.

I thought they had plans for adding a 4th B41 20mhz TDD carrier as well? I thought I saw lilotimz state this a few times. I may be misunderstanding.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I thought they had plans for adding a 4th B41 20mhz TDD carrier as well? I thought I saw lilotimz state this a few times. I may be misunderstanding.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I just don't see the economic justification in most areas. While peak speeds are fine for e-peen purposes, I just can't see the utilization of all that bandwidth.

Edited by bigsnake49

they could always deploy the 4th (or more) carrier without changing backhaul, thus allowing more users to absorb the existing backhaul bandwidth.

Especially in areas with highly variable users (think ruralish stadiums etc, ie riverport.. high concentrations of people but only for limited amounts of time).

they could always deploy the 4th (or more) carrier without changing backhaul, thus allowing more users to absorb the existing backhaul bandwidth.

Especially in areas with highly variable users (think ruralish stadiums etc, ie riverport.. high concentrations of people but only for limited amounts of time).

I think Claure is correct and I am sure that he has had his financial people run the numbers. That's why you see a willingness to sell what they don't think they can use productively. That and they will need some money to participate in the 600MHz auction. Plus force Charlie's hand.

If there's a reverse auction of EBS/BRS wouldn't it bring band 7/38 rebanding out of the woodwork?

No.  The only realistic way to consider FDD via band 7 would be to wad up the entire BRS/EBS band like a paper ball and start over.  That would not be a reverse auction; it would be eminent domain.

Why would there be a reverse auction? They were given the spectrum for free and they got use if it. Why should they get money for it?

Well, VHF/UHF TV broadcasters were given spectrum for free.  Cellular 850 MHz licensees were given spectrum for free.  It happens -- because it serves the public interest.  The same holds true for EBS.

AJ

• Like 3

No.  The only realistic way to consider FDD via band 7 would be to wad up the entire BRS/EBS band like a paper ball and start over.  That would not be a reverse auction; it would be eminent domain.

Well, VHF/UHF TV broadcasters were given spectrum for free.  Cellular 850 MHz licensees were given spectrum for free.  It happens -- because it serves the public interest.  The same holds true for EBS.

AJ

At least the broadcasters are using it. The educational institutions are not. They are getting a undeserved windfall.

At least the broadcasters are using it. The educational institutions are not. They are getting a undeserved windfall.

You cannot make such a sweeping generalization.  Some are using their EBS spectrum -- or, before that, their ITFS/MMDS spectrum.  Others are leasing it.  Either way, the FCC has long since signed off on the permissibility of leasing.

AJ

• Like 1

You cannot make such a sweeping generalization.  Some are using their EBS spectrum -- or, before that, their ITFS/MMDS spectrum.  Others are leasing it.  Either way, the FCC has long since signed off on the permissibility of leasing.

AJ

You're right, all the institutions that I am aware of that used to use their EBS for remote learning are no longer using it. 

• 6 months later...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3448186-can-dish-pull-a-rabbit-out-of-its-hat-again?ifp=0&app=1

Dish was denied a $13 billion small business discount on its latest spectrum purchases by the FCC.

They will need to come up with an additional $13 billion bucks to retain the rights to the spectrum they obtained by having other small companies bid for them in the auction.

This really places a squeeze on DISH.  Pay the full price for the spectrum or lose it.

• Like 3

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3448186-can-dish-pull-a-rabbit-out-of-its-hat-again?ifp=0&app=1

Dish was denied a $13 billion small business discount on its latest spectrum purchases by the FCC.

They will need to come up with an additional $13 billion bucks to retain the rights to the spectrum they obtained by having other small companies bid for them in the auction.

This really places a squeeze on DISH.  Pay the full price for the spectrum or lose it.

How will this additional cost affect Dish's bid for T-Mobile US?

They will need to come up with an additional $13 billion bucks to retain the rights to the spectrum

Slight correction, they were denied a $3.3 billion credit so they have to pay the total of $13 billion (they already committed to paying $10 billion after the $3 billion discount)

• Like 1

I can't imagine that helped out their negotiations with T-Mobile. If T-Mobile merged with Dish and then suddenly had to come up with another $3.3 billion in their couch cushions, that would be quite the crunch to them, exactly the sort of thing that would have forced their progress on the network end to come to a screeching halt. 

• Like 1

If Dish merged with T-Mobile, you can kiss Sprint goodbye! While I don't like them, Dish brings spectrum and a steady if unspectacular cash flow to the table. Cash flow that can be used to pay off debt, invest in the network, etc. Unless SoftBank comes to the rescue, Sprint on its own cannot compete.

• Like 1

Unless SoftBank comes to the rescue, Sprint on its own cannot compete.

Which, if something like a Dish/T-Mobile merger were to happen, Softbank would most definitely come to the rescue. Maybe they would even consider buying TWC or Comcast :D

-Anthony

• Like 1

If Dish merged with T-Mobile, you can kiss Sprint goodbye! While I don't like them, Dish brings spectrum and a steady if unspectacular cash flow to the table. Cash flow that can be used to pay off debt, invest in the network, etc. Unless SoftBank comes to the rescue, Sprint on its own cannot compete.

Some of that spectrum is boutique (PCS H Block) and the rest can't be used for years; meanwhile Sprint has readily usable spectrum, they just need to densify around the 2.5GHz network. I fear not that combo because it will not be a swift victory in the slightest.

• Like 1

I fear not that combo because it will not be a swift victory in the slightest.

This is too eloquent for 21st century online discourse.

Are you channeling Roosevelt, Lincoln, or maybe even Jefferson?

AJ

• Like 2

Regarding the ruling on Dish, I am encouraged to see someone (the FCC) doing something to stop these companies from cheating.

Regarding Soft Bank rescuing Sprint - I hope the recent statements from Masayoshi Son and Marcelo indicate Softbank will do whatever it needs to do to help Sprint succeed. The market sure seems to think so. Sprint is up approx 30% in a week while everything else is going in the other direction.

I read this article tonight, which is interesting to consider in terms of Soft Bank's and Sprint's future.

"Soft Bank's Hired Gun Takes High Road To Ownership"

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2015/08/20/softbanks-hired-gun-takes-high-road-to-ownership/

• Like 1

Dish would have also brought a train load of debt. I'm sure DT would have pushed more debt off on Dish on the way out. That would leave Johnny and Charlie on a very debt loaded ship that's gaining customers but at a very high price with an impending 600 MHz auction and a Masa and Marcelo that seem not to be cutting their losses but hunkering down and fighting. 

• Like 2

So I am bit confused about this whole thing.  I know the FCC is harping on Dish for the designated bidding for the AWS-3 spectrum.  Can the FCC strip part or all of the AWS-3 spectrum that was purchased via Dish and have it reauctioned?  

So I am bit confused about this whole thing.  I know the FCC is harping on Dish for the designated bidding for the AWS-3 spectrum.  Can the FCC strip part or all of the AWS-3 spectrum that was purchased via Dish and have it reauctioned?  

That's probably gonna happen if Dish doesn't get to work on the build out dates. Buying spectrum these days bring requirements to build out a percentage of service with that spectrum in the market it was bought for. Sprint has the same requirements with PCS G Block and EBS/BRS (see: WiMAX protection sites). If Dish doesn't get a service live sooner or later, they're gonna lose their AWS.