CellularInfo for iOS: Beta Released (was Coming soon)

nahum365

Well a video was released the other day of iOS 8.4 beta being jailbroken, so we may be in luck. We shall see.

-Anthony

There's also been some unsubstantiated rumors of a 8.2/8.3 jailbreak being released tonight. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some further investigation.. I have some bad news. iOS now checks if the app is running as root before returning the information from CoreTelephony. 

The error is:

"Caller not allowed to perform action: TelephonyApiTest.240, action = sandboxed lookup, code = 1: Operation not permitted, uid = 501, euid = 501, gid = 501, egid = 501, asid = 0"

and it returns no info. This kills all hope of a non-jailbreak CellularInfo. If an 8.3 jailbreak is released I'll be sure to release an un-sandboxed version for jailbroken users. 

Where's the "unlike" button?

I have refused to upgrade to 8.3 simply for this app.

I'm currently conflicted about updating. My phone seems to be malfunctioning, randomly dropping service instead of handing off to 3G and things like that. But I'm really reliant on CellularInfo... It's a hard choice. Damn Apple for forcing this upon us. :(

• Like 1

After some further investigation.. I have some bad news. iOS now checks if the app is running as root before returning the information from CoreTelephony. 

The error is:

"Caller not allowed to perform action: TelephonyApiTest.240, action = sandboxed lookup, code = 1: Operation not permitted, uid = 501, euid = 501, gid = 501, egid = 501, asid = 0"

and it returns no info. This kills all hope of a non-jailbreak CellularInfo. If an 8.3 jailbreak is released I'll be sure to release an un-sandboxed version for jailbroken users. 

I think this is proof of Apple ensuring that apps like this do not succeed. My biggest problem with the iOS ecosystem is that the App Store is essentially the only authorized distribution method for apps. Sure, there are alternatives, but they pretty much make it impossible to use anything the App Store would deny in the first place.  :td:

Somehow I'm guessing that CellularInfo caught the attention of someone at Apple, and they put up the necessary roadblocks to ensure it remains difficult for you. The kicker is none of this information is dangerous or really that special.. Apple just refuses to allow access to it.

-Mike

• Like 7

At least is still shows me when I'm on 1x800

7871d94fc8299ef57595b4180f221a1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Sorry to tell you, but Sprint 1x800 should be shown as "Secondary 800 MHz". Probably just something invalid being returned.

Sorry to tell you, but Sprint 1x800 should be shown as "Secondary 800 MHz". Probably just something invalid being returned.

Darn 8.3. I miss this app. At least my WiFi issues have been corrected finally...one step forward and one step back.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Check this out: http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/#KzseKhTGaQ8RCMDO.16

Under iOS 9, anyone can sideload any iOS app using XCode 7.  I wonder if this would allow us to get around any of the restrictions that CellularInfo has?

Check this out: http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/#KzseKhTGaQ8RCMDO.16

Under iOS 9, anyone can sideload any iOS app using XCode 7. I wonder if this would allow us to get around any of the restrictions that CellularInfo has?

48249f7aacebe401d067c5e7da766a32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6

Under iOS 9, anyone can sideload any iOS app using XCode 7. I wonder if this would allow us to get around any of the restrictions that CellularInfo has?

Tried it out already. The only way to get around the restrictions is by running the app as root, which is only possible with a jailbreak. Hopefully there'll be a jailbreak released with 8.4 on the 30th.

The error is:

I noticed whenever I have my phone connected via bluetooth in my car, the dash shows the "signal bars" from my phone.  Is it worth a shot checking the Core Bluetooth Framework to see if you could pull any signal strength data from there for your app?

• Like 5

I noticed whenever I have my phone connected via bluetooth in my car, the dash shows the "signal bars" from my phone. Is it worth a shot checking the Core Bluetooth Framework to see if you could pull any signal strength data from there for your app?

I can get the number of bars from the public part of CoreTelephony, not the actual dbm signal strength.

Tried it out already. The only way to get around the restrictions is by running the app as root, which is only possible with a jailbreak. Hopefully there'll be a jailbreak released with 8.4 on the 30th.

Well jailbreak out for 8.3. You tried it out yet?

Well jailbreak out for 8.3. You tried it out yet?

My power went out right as I was getting ready to try it on my iPad. Very unfortunate timing to say the least.

EDIT: It's back! Updating and jailbreaking the iPad now.

• Like 2