New definition of broadband

caspar347

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/title-ii-closing-arguments/

As I said, I have no illusions that any of this will change what happens on February 26th. But when the FCC has to defend reclassification before an appellate court, it will have to grapple with these and other arguments. Those who oppose efforts at compromise because they assume Title II rests on bullet proof legal theories are only deceiving themselves.

I guess I'll just post this in this thread:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/reports-fcc-include-wireless-push-reclassify-broadband-under-title-ii-net-n/2015-02-03

This is all great for customers, but I hope nobody tries to use it to fight QoS and illegal tether blocking etc. Considering the attitude many uninformed people have about tether blocking on unlimited plans, I wouldn't be surprised if the subject gets brought up at some point.

If that ends up happening, Sprint and T-Mobile will probably just drop unlimited data and speed plans in favor of limited speed or limited data plans.

Oh, and if a mod wants to change the title of this thread to "New FCC Regulations and Stuff" or something that's cool. We should probably keep all of this stuff in one thread.

Well that was fast my ISP will be upgrading speeds like I mentioned in a earlier post, got this in the mail yesterday.  I will be going from 50Mbps to 75Mbps thanks OptiNet  :)

• Like 2

What are the prices for each of the tiers?

The upgrade is free so I will give you the price of each after the upgrade which will be the same price as the old tiers.

• 75x10Mbps - $59.95
  • 150x20Mbps - $99.95
  • 250x30Mbps - $169.95
  • 1Gbps - $319.95  

There is a base internet package that is $39.95 that will be going to 25x5Mbps

• Like 1

I know I've posted about this before, but PA has regulated DSL. All ILECs must offer DSL by 12/31/2015 or be fined by the state. Of course, Verizon is the only one who has yet to complete their deployment. My development of 10 homes is about a mile from the end of the cable plant and surrounded by protected farm lands. We'll likely never have cable, and we just got DSL in October. A brand new, shiny, fiber-fed RT built to serve only 19 possible homes which of course VZ has capped at 3 Mbps for arbitrary reasons. Someone in tech support told me my line can definitely handle 10 Mbps, but Verizon refuses to offer more.

I think a part of the new definition says something about only needing to provide 10 Mbps in rural areas in order to qualify for a subsidy. I think that seems reasonable.

IMHO, as much as everyone/the industry wants to hate copper and DSL and wants it to go away as soon as possible, it won't happen. There are too many last mile people who can't get anything else who will keep their DSL line no matter the cost. Verizon even had to string some new copper (about a mile) and put up new poles to re-route the plant to bring us DSL.

I know I've posted about this before, but PA has regulated DSL. All ILECs must offer DSL by 12/31/2015 or be fined by the state. Of course, Verizon is the only one who has yet to complete their deployment. My development of 10 homes is about a mile from the end of the cable plant and surrounded by protected farm lands. We'll likely never have cable, and we just got DSL in October. A brand new, shiny, fiber-fed RT built to serve only 19 possible homes which of course VZ has capped at 3 Mbps for arbitrary reasons. Someone in tech support told me my line can definitely handle 10 Mbps, but Verizon refuses to offer more.

I think a part of the new definition says something about only needing to provide 10 Mbps in rural areas in order to qualify for a subsidy. I think that seems reasonable.

IMHO, as much as everyone/the industry wants to hate copper and DSL and wants it to go away as soon as possible, it won't happen. There are too many last mile people who can't get anything else who will keep their DSL line no matter the cost. Verizon even had to string some new copper (about a mile) and put up new poles to re-route the plant to bring us DSL.

And yet it would have cost the same to install fiber. Fiber costs equalled copper on new installs in 2013. And it now is even slightly cheaper. I can understand why existing copper doesn't get changed out quickly, but there is very little excuse to use copper over fiber in new construction.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

I can understand why existing copper doesn't get changed out quickly, but there is very little excuse to use copper over fiber in new construction.

…except when you are a Baby Bell stamping your feet in protest over government intrusion in this vigorously competitive market.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

And yet it would have cost the same to install fiber. Fiber costs equalled copper on new installs in 2013. And it now is even slightly cheaper. I can understand why existing copper doesn't get changed out quickly, but there is very little excuse to use copper over fiber in new construction.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

Well, our houses already had copper in the ground, but they re-routed the lines before our houses to shorten the loop from the RT.  I don't think fiber could have been used in that situation...  but I get your point!

Well, our houses already had copper in the ground, but they re-routed the lines before our houses to shorten the loop from the RT.  I don't think fiber could have been used in that situation...  but I get your point!

When AT&T went through the installation of RT's they had to do so much work to untangle all of the lines which were all screwed up they might as well have installed fiber to the curb.

When AT&T went through the installation of RT's they had to do so much work to untangle all of the lines which were all screwed up they might as well have installed fiber to the curb.

I'm now trying to get VZ to update the online qualification database. My address as well as all of my neighbors still come back DSL not available...even though we have it! How hard is it to change an entry in a cell???

I'm now trying to get VZ to update the online qualification database. My address as well as all of my neighbors still come back DSL not available...even though we have it! How hard is it to change an entry in a cell???

Apparently very hard. They must have incompetent people working there.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

• Like 1