Saygus V²

kava

The 4GLTE icon is the same one on Sprint's Pre-spark devices...crazy to think it's possible it'll be coming to Sprint!

This is what really has me excited about it.

Root access and Multi-boot Capability-

The V² is sold with root access available making it the choice for developers as well giving them the opportunity to create new programs and applications directly to the V². When root access is enabled Super User (SU) permission is available and custom firmware can be installed. The V² supports Multi-boot, meaning the phone can run software from a MicroSD card or the internal flash all at the user’s option

They encourage modification with the phone. I'd be very surprised if this came to AT&T or Verizon with this root access.

EDIT: The site says GSM/CDMA/LTE support. We'll have to see which LTE bands it'll be running with.

• Like 1

Was just looking at this phone myself. Any FCC docs available?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's what I want to see.  Being a 5" phone, this is right up my alley.  But I want to see some LTE Band support info and want to know what kind of EIRP numbers it is producing.  Just to give some idea of what I'd be committing to.  Knowing more about its CDMA support and ability to be used on Sprint would be nice to know too.

Hmm it uses a Snapdragon 801 processor, so it has support for TDD/FDD Lte, wouldnt be suprised if this device has support for at least band 25, and band 26. Band 41 and sprint support would make this puppy my next phone. 

Impressive little device. Even if it is Kit kat.

Just missing a stylus and make it a bit thinner but larger ala Note series and I'm sold. Even with out that it is still quite impressive.

If Sprint gets this I'll be shocked.  

I hope it makes it to market, the last phone they did (V phone) never did and was cancelled. 

TS

Keep in mind that since they are shipping with root (very bad for security, not to mention extremely unprofessional), you will not have access to Google services, including the play store, by default.

Also contrary to what they're saying, root is not needed for developers. There's no use for it in a phone from a development standpoint

Also contrary to what they're saying, root is not needed for developers. There's no use for it in a phone from a development standpoint

That left me thinking. So does that mean that developers that create root type apps like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer etc don't need a rooted device to develop an app that takes into account root access?

TS

That left me thinking. So does that mean that developers that create root type apps like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer etc don't need a rooted device to develop an app that takes into account root access?

TS

They've been developing root apps for long enough that this phone isn't really providing any benefit by being pre-rooted. It doesn't even come with lollipop which is a lot harder to create root apps for.

The V² will work on all the carrier networks in the world.

GSM: Quad band(850/900/1800/1900MHz)

CDMA: 850/1900MHz

UMTS: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8

LTE: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26

Here is the list!

Here is the list!

CDMA BC10 (800 MHz) isn't mentioned, but if they plan to bring it to Sprint, it's probably safe to assume that's supported.

The omission of TD-LTE is interesting. If they've managed to maintain SVLTE as a result, I'd find this device even more intriguing.. but if they've gone with eCSFB w/o B41, they can keep it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Seems they've added more bands to their list, though still no band 41: 

GSM: Quad band(850/900/1800/1900MHz)
CDMA: 850/1900MHz
UMTS: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8
LTE: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 40

• 2 weeks later...

I want this phone just for international roaming! Also, if they're officially selling it on Sprint, isn't it required to be band 41 compatible? I thought that was part of sprint's regulations now.

Yes.  If Sprint is coordinating the product and selling it in their stores.  It does not stop a company from making a device that is Sprint network capable, though, and still not support everything Sprint requires.  This is an indy development.  Something that could not happen with a CDMA OEM a year ago, because of the closed networks.

Either Sprint will allow the device to be whitelisted on their network, or they may balk at the Saygus because they do not support B41.  My guess is that Sprint will allow the device to be whitelisted.  They have been somewhat open to whitelisting here recently.  The Saygus V2 is a niche product that will not be sold in Sprint stores.  If someone wants to activate it on the Sprint network even though it is missing one LTE band, Sprint should let them.

However, it's still possible it may have B41.  Can't say definitively at this point.

• Like 1

Yes.  If Sprint is coordinating the product and selling it in their stores.  It does not stop a company from making a device that is Sprint network capable, though, and still not support everything Sprint requires.  This is an indy development.  Something that could not happen with a CDMA OEM a year ago, because of the closed networks.

Either Sprint will allow the device to be whitelisted on their network, or they may balk at the Saygus because they do not support B41.  My guess is that Sprint will allow the device to be whitelisted.  They have been somewhat open to whitelisting here recently.  The Saygus V2 is a niche product that will not be sold in Sprint stores.  If someone wants to activate it on the Sprint network even though it is missing one LTE band, Sprint should let them.

However, it's still possible it may have B41.  Can't say definitively at this point.

Saygus already said they are supporting Sprint, just in the testing lab.

Saygus already said they are supporting Sprint, just in the testing lab.

Me:  Saygus, are you supporting Sprint in the V²?

Gus:  Yes, I am.

;)

AJ

• Like 1