AT&T gobbles up NII Holdings: Mexican Nextel 800Mhz bearer.

EmeraldReporter

Plus, if the Telmex assets (which will include cellular and fixed assets) being sold off are in the parts that Iusacell doesn't operate 850MHz networks today, AT&T can just get those and use them instead.

But that's ifs and maybes versus what they definitely already possess, plus AT&T claims that that they're not looking at the potential American Móvil assets.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/atts-stephenson-were-not-gunning-am-rica-m-vils-assets-mexico/2015-01-28

"We've bitten off more than we can chew right now and you'll see us focused on what we've consummated to date," Stephenson added.

Granted, that's always subject to change, of course.

But that's ifs and maybes versus what they definitely already possess, plus AT&T claims that that they're not looking at the potential American Móvil assets.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/atts-stephenson-were-not-gunning-am-rica-m-vils-assets-mexico/2015-01-28

Granted, that's always subject to change, of course.

Those are REALLY nice spectrum assets att purchased!

• 5 months later...

Hopefully some country on the planet currently using iDEN keeps using iDEN. I have used Nextel in Mexico, Brazil and Paraguay(...er in Encarnacion looking across at Argentina.)

I guess somehow I still think iDEN could have been developed into WIDEN and then further...

Even SouthernLinc is bidding Adieu to iDen in 2020.

Edited by techfranz

Hopefully some country on the planet currently using iDEN keeps using iDEN. I have used Nextel in Mexico, Brazil and Paraguay(...er in Encarnacion looking across at Argentina.)

I guess somehow I still think iDEN could have been developed into WIDEN and then further...

Ah yes, the dreams of iDENites! Nextel management were really smart! They got top dollar for their company and pulled the wool over Sprint's board.

Push to talk services are now available through Sprint, or many other roms available. Except nao, it is just done in a magnificently more efficient medium over data.

I don't have a lot of nostalgia of iden that was really positive other than it was deployed on a band that reached further than my voice or text service.

Then, you think wrong.  WiDEN was little more than a bandaid on iDEN.  It was both a stopgap and a dead end technology.  That is why Nextel acquired BRS/EBS spectrum and experimented with Flash-OFDM, which then got absorbed into and usurped by WiMAX and LTE.

Any way you cut it, iDEN was going the way of the dodo.  In fact, it might have happened sooner if Nextel had remained an independent company.

AJ

• Like 4