Northeast Blizzard, Jan. 2015

Dkoellerwx

And why would you name a megastorm after a bad Ellen Page movie?

Do you prefer Colbie? That's the name the CBS affiliate in Connecticut -- which has been naming New England snowstorms since at least the mid-90s -- has come up with for a name.

77mph in Nantucket. 

There once was a man from Nantucket...

But he got blown away.

AJ

• Like 1

View from the Dakotas: Much ado about nothing. Snow falls greater than 12" and punishing wind...nothing new. We had a 5' storm last season with 80 MPH winds. In October. No one even heard about it.

View from the Dakotas: Much ado about nothing. Snow falls greater than 12" and punishing wind...nothing new. We had a 5' storm last season with 80 MPH winds. In October. No one even heard about it.

Yeah but that is the same as the old saying if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there does it make a sound? If a storm hits the Dakotas...no one is there...

????

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

We had snow flurries here in south east Georgia 2 weeks ago... That was definitely a blizzard!!! Lol. You know I'm kidding about the blizzard part. But we really did have flurries! Lol.stay safe northeasterners!

Snowing pretty good here in Boston still. Haven't been outside yet though. I stopped in that new Whole Foods in South Boston last night and it wasn't too bad. Checkout lines were short considering the hype. Back in Jersey we only got four inches.

Took a picture out my window, not so bad...

I actually hit reload the first time, thinking the photo didn't load.  And then I felt stupid when I got the joke.

• Like 9

Okay people, not to defend meteorologist because I'm the first one to say they are the only profession where they can be wrong 100% of the time and still have a job, but lets be fair and real here.

In regards to NYC,

1-yeah they may have over-hyped it a bit, but its better to be safe than sorry. First if I am not mistaken they were using an existing model that predicted such high totals. There is a newer model that I believe CNN was also testing that hit the numbers right on the mark and they said that they will be using that from now on. Regardless, I rather have them be a bit over hyped and scare us than not. There are countless stories of idiots not heeding the warnings of not going out, driving etc and getting stuck, into accidents that make it hard to clear the streets of snow, no matter how much fell.

2-Yeah Manhattan didn't get much and most news is reporting on that one place. woopie freaking do. NYC is not just Manhattan, there are 4 other boroughs that are larger and got hit much harder. Shoot, here in Queens I took out a ruler and it was exactly 19 inches. And that's not counting the snow drifts. Granted, 19 inches is nothing compared to places like the northwest, but they are used to it. Over here 2 inches  and folks freak out like roaches scattering when the lights go on.

3-Crying over having the transit system being shut down is stupid. Unless you are a city worker (sanitation, police, healthcare) there is no need to go to work and most likely provisions are made to keep you at work avoiding being out in the streets getting stuck etc. Most of the subway transit lines (outside of elite Manhattan) are above ground and can be snowed in themselves. So I feel it was a good decision. Shoot they should shut down the system everyday much like Washington DC does.

The meteorologists were partially correct on the totals, the politicians may have over reacted by closing things down, but bottom line we were lucky (at least here in NYC). Mother Nature is one not to mess with and she can be a real bitch at times.

TS

• Like 4

I especially loved #2. I hate the elitist attitude of Manhattan

Every time people say they went to NYC, I always ask where they went. When they make no mention of Brooklyn or Queens I tell them that they haven't visited NYC, they visited Manhattan. In reality the best places for the greatest price are in the outer boroughs.

• Like 1

Uh oh...  http://www.cnbc.com/id/102371281

"Meteorologists apologize for huge blizzard miss"

I voted No.

I especially loved #2. I hate the elitist attitude of Manhattan

Every time people say they went to NYC, I always ask where they went. When they make no mention of Brooklyn or Queens I tell them that they haven't visited NYC, they visited Manhattan. In reality the best places for the greatest price are in the outer boroughs.

Funny you mention that. When I went to London a few years back, we went countryside a few times and in one of the bars they were surprised that we were from NYC since they never had travelers go out there. While it true that most travel sites stay in the touristy sections, I've noticed that there are times that you find really awesome hidden stuff great folks, etc when going to non-traditional areas of said visited city.

TS

• Like 1

I'm in Queens, yeah we've had snow overnight, but to call this a "Blizzard of the century", followed by the decision to shut down all connections between the boroughs is beyond overhyped and unnecessary. We've had much, much worse storms. And I've had a feeling right from the get go that this is gonna be the case, so we skipped the usual cash dumping at the local grocery store.

Were we lucky? Probably. But the media and local government jumped the gun, and most likely lost a lot of trust out of the average New Yorker.

That may be, but folks are going to complain regardless if it was over-hyped or not. Its that damn if you do, damn if you don't scenario. I say we call it the Juno effect. lol

Then again we are not only talking about NYers but North Easterners in general, same group that trusts the predictions of a Pennsylvanian or Staten Island rodent on how much more weeks of winter we get and make a big deal about it. lol

TS

• Like 1

I really feel based on the whole Buffalo story and how it was politicized, bureaucrats and forecasters went to the other extreme.  And it's not so much that the storm didn't arrive, it's that it is a little farther east than expected.

If this was forecasted in the Dakotas, being off on the forecast area by 15-30 miles and being off on storm totals by 30-40% would not be seen as a forecast failure, but rather a success.  The imperfections in meteorology are amplified by number of people in the affected area.  Or in this case, the non-affected area.  

Meteorology is taking known science and trying to exactly guess the future.  It blows my mind how they can even tell so far in advance that a large storm is heading for a small geographic area.

• Like 6

I'm in Queens, yeah we've had snow overnight, but to call this a "Blizzard of the century", followed by the decision to shut down all connections between the boroughs is beyond overhyped and unnecessary. We've had much, much worse storms. And I've had a feeling right from the get go that this is gonna be the case, so we skipped the usual cash dumping at the local grocery store.

Were we lucky? Probably. But the media and local government jumped the gun, and most likely lost a lot of trust out of the average New Yorker.

I will tell you one thing, I'm in Queens as well, and the good folks at DPW did a fine job plowing snow. My car is safely tucked away in the parking lot, and it isn't coming out till someone shovels out the driveway.

Btw, here is a cool map for future reference on status of snow plowing: http://maps.nyc.gov/snow/

• Like 1

My car is safely tucked away in the parking lot, and it isn't coming out till someone shovels out the driveway.

Btw, here is a cool map for future reference on status of snow plowing: http://maps.nyc.gov/snow/

You should call Mr. Plow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OElW2BrB6So

AJ

• Like 1

I heard about it! I even did a story about it! :P

• Like 1