Northeast Blizzard, Jan. 2015

Dkoellerwx

I live north of Albany, pretty much right on the border between getting about 5 inches or a foot-plus. Right now, it's looking like it'll be more toward the lighter side, but a sligth shift of the storm to the west could change that.

My parents in Connecticut and my sister in Rhode Island, on the other hand, are right in the bullseye of the storm.

Breaking News Now...

Hell (NYC) has frozen over.

DayAfterTomorrow-small.png

Reporting now live from Times Square is temp meteorologist two (feet in snow) spirits filling in for Storm Fields...

Yes, Brian, folks are running around like its the end of the world and its only 2 inches right now on the ground. 

All joking aside, its been a while since we have gotten hit with a major winter snow snow, even less with blizzard conditions.  :o

Right now we are getting hit with a tiny pass that is leaving 1-3 inches on the ground, but the main one is set for tonight thru Wed and although we are suppose to get 18-24 inches of snow I feel it may be higher like 33.

Top5Snowstorms.jpg

The snow amounts is not my scare, its the winds bringing down these power lines. (Yes we have external power lines in the outer boros). Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn is power line free with everything underground.

Its funny but the chief of my hospital said that they are going to close my building tomorrow due to safety concerns and to have us report to administration instead. I don't think so. Homey don't play that. I'll rather take a day without pay than risk life and limb getting to work. Besides all my code and macros are on my pc and running reports on someone else's pc won't work anyway and I'll be just there staring into space.

I'll take pics as the storm comes through and post them (providing the power stays up).

TS out (reporting live from NYC) 

• Like 4

The storm will hit two days before the day after tomorrow.

AJ

• Like 3

Word of the day... "Bombogenesis"

is the equivalent of a meteorological bomb and occurs when a storm's area of lowest pressure experiences a rapid drop of more than 24 milibars in 24 hours. This basically turns a routine storm into an intense storm very quickly.

I swear these meteorologists love dropping new words never before heard. last year it was "squall".  :wall: 

and they name it Juno. Since when did we start naming nor'easters? 

Anyway, 2 inches on the ground now here in HIllcrest/Jamaica Queens NYC.

TS

• Like 1

is the equivalent of a meteorological bomb and occurs when a storm's area of lowest pressure experiences a rapid drop of more than 24 milibars in 24 hours. This basically turns a routine storm into an intense storm very quickly.

I swear these meteorologists love dropping new words never before heard. last year it was "squall".  :wall: 

TS

Three or four years ago (and I think it is more storms than nor'easters). If I was a hurricane I would be pissed about it...

• Like 1

Boston said there is a snow emergency in effect this afternoon. All public schools closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. No parking on the street after a certain time. No driving cars this evening. No public transportation available starting this evening. Snow (about 1 inch) is already developing in Chestnut Hill and BC has said nothing yet. They're probably going to tell us tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

I much prefer "bimbogenesis."  It is how I create my many ladies in my science lab.

AJ

Boston said there is a snow emergency in effect this afternoon. All public schools closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. No parking on the street after a certain time. No driving cars this evening. No public transportation available starting this evening. Snow (about 1 inch) is already developing in Chestnut Hill and BC has said nothing yet. They're probably going to tell us tomorrow morning.

Same thing here in NYC except Schools will be closed only tomorrow, open Wed. Which means plenty of huge school buses on the roads getting in the way.

I much prefer "bimbogenesis."  It is how I create my many ladies in my science lab.

AJ

I thought bimbogenesis was the code name for S. Ali?

TS

• Like 1

That's a Weather Channel thing; they started naming snowstorms a few years ago as a way to help them hype the storms/get ratings. If you read National Weather Service forecasts, they'll never refer to snowstorms by name.

• Like 1

I may have to go to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard -- because the weather is 60 degrees and sunny here in the Midwest.

AJ

• Like 4

Been there done that in the Great White North!

Did my time in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, 360" for the season the year I left.

Northern Maine is a hoot in winter. They just scoop dirt from the nearest potato field and spread it on the roads for traction in the snow, then the trucks sling the accompanying big rocks at your car and through your windshield. 

And there is nothing like North Dakota in the winter when it's 40 below and the wind is blowing like crazy turning the snow into snirt (snow & dirt).

I'll count myself lucky for the rest of this week as the temperature here will be in the 70s with warm sunshine. 

TS

Bombogenisis isn't a new term for most meteorologists, but it's not something I would ever say on air! The 24 hours news getting a hold of words they don't understand... and then overusing them. Like 'polar vortex.' Squall though, we use that all the time here in the plains. Typically "squall line" when referring to a line of thunderstorms.

Also... this storm is NOT!!! called Juno. Freaking Weather Channel. :wall:

Really looking like Boston might get the brunt of the storm. Snow around 2 feet and 60 - 75mph winds!

• Like 2

Bombogenisis isn't a new term for most meteorologists, but it's not something I would ever say on air! The 24 hours news getting a hold of words they don't understand... and then overusing them. Like 'polar vortex.' Squall though, we use that all the time here in the plains. Typically "squall line" when referring to a line of thunderstorms.

Really looking like Boston might get the brunt of the storm. Snow around 2 feet and 60 - 75mph winds!

Yeah, I found out around 3:30PM that my classes are cancelled tomorrow.

Yeah, I found out around 3:30PM that my classes are cancelled tomorrow.

Welcome to Ice Planet Hoth.  Enjoy your stay.

AJ

• Like 3

lol on the Juno naming part. I feel your pain.

But hey, I only post what I heard. :P As for Squall (and polar vortex, I don't recall them saying that before last year. But I'll get used to it eventually even though I don't like it, much like "phablet".

Anyway, on the home front here, They had set up cots for some hospital workers to stay overnight. But since we aren't first line/medical staff, they let my department go. I don't know where they said that this first front was only going to put down 1-3 inches before the main storm, because I saw 4" at work and at home (took me about 90 minutes on a usual 15 min drive) and there is about 4-5 inches on the ground here. On the way home I saw quite a few awd cars slipping and sliding, then again I slipped once too.  :o

I put my suv in the garage but had to move my nieces puny little Honda away from the devil tree that has a habit of dropping its huge branches onto cars. The winds are picking up.

TS

• Like 1