Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

When's the last time you checked? As of today, Google is no longer requiring invites to sign up for Fi (which is why they're putting the 5X on sale). Some articles I've seen about it are saying anyone in the U.S. can sign up now. I don't know if that means geographically or just referencing not needing an invite anymore.

If you're interested in Fi, you may want to check again. it might be available to you now.

i checked right before my last post 

Also not available in central wi, could it be that T-Mobile doesnt have any towers in my zip?

I suspicion that in order to avoid direct competition with their host networks, they don't offer service where there is only Sprint or only T mobile.

That is strange, I'm no where near a T-Mobile tower here in my zip code in Wisconsin and it still worked. I believe the nearest tower for me is about 20-25 miles away.

I wonder what its requirements are to say you qualify?

I just signed up for Project Fi. I will use mostly to gauge how good the T-Mobile and Sprint networks are in my area and the places I visit. In the beginning I will just set it to either the T-Mobile or Sprint network and compare. I also have a spare AT&T sim and use that to compare as well. It should be interesting.

That is a good way to kill two birds with one stone if you need a device, but if you didn't already know you can get a TMo sim (free right now on their website) and connect to the network.  Lets you use the speedtest app without service.  

But I jumped on that $200 deal.  More like $250 after tax and the cheapest $30 plan if all you want is the phone.  I hope that I get money back for not using the service when I cancel after a month to drop in my Sprint N5 sim.  But it will be interesting to see TMo vs Sprint preferences here.  My commute, both are super strong all the way through.  Work and home will be Sprint, but the commute will be most interesting.  Then I got a buddy in ATL that is interested in Fi but is unsure of service.  Can let him take it for a spin. 

That is strange, I'm no where near a T-Mobile tower here in my zip code in Wisconsin and it still worked. I believe the nearest tower for me is about 20-25 miles away.

I wonder what its requirements are to say you qualify?

It isn't for Omaha either.

i checked right before my last post 

If you use twilio.com/lookup, it will say your FI number is a T-mobile number. So, If T-mobile won't allow you to port the number over, FI won't do it.

That is a good way to kill two birds with one stone if you need a device, but if you didn't already know you can get a TMo sim (free right now on their website) and connect to the network.  Lets you use the speedtest app without service.  

But I jumped on that $200 deal.  More like $250 after tax and the cheapest $30 plan if all you want is the phone.  I hope that I get money back for not using the service when I cancel after a month to drop in my Sprint N5 sim.  But it will be interesting to see TMo vs Sprint preferences here.  My commute, both are super strong all the way through.  Work and home will be Sprint, but the commute will be most interesting.  Then I got a buddy in ATL that is interested in Fi but is unsure of service.  Can let him take it for a spin. 

When you head back to Sprint, get ready to teach the tech support over the phone on how to properly create a device ticket to move your phone back from wholesale.

When you head back to Sprint, get ready to teach the tech support over the phone on how to properly create a device ticket to move your phone back from wholesale.

I've never had an issue with my N5.  Done it a few times.  Never even got the horror stories of not being able to transfer a number directly from a Sprint wholesaler to Sprint.  I got the "wtf you talking about, oh btw your number is ported" look.  I was on RW and you had to port out to like TMo or something first.  Not I! :-D

I've never had an issue with my N5.  Done it a few times.  Never even got the horror stories of not being able to transfer a number directly from a Sprint wholesaler to Sprint.  I got the "wtf you talking about, oh btw your number is ported" look.  I was on RW and you had to port out to like TMo or something first.  Not I! :-D

It is not about number, it is device. Once device used on wholesale, it will have some trouble activating on Sprint

It is not about number, it is device. Once device used on wholesale, it will have some trouble activating on Sprint

Yeah I know. I commented on that, as well as adding in the number porting issues from wholesalers cause that is supposed to be hell too. Either im lucky, our the people at my store actually know what they are doing.

Yeah I know. I commented on that, as well as adding in the number porting issues from wholesalers cause that is supposed to be hell too. Either im lucky, our the people at my store actually know what they are doing.

Yes. It really depends on how store manager's knowledge. One store I visit know that issue and quickly solved my problem. The other store just tell me it is not possible.

So when on the TMobile network, does the speedtest app count against my data allowance on ProjectFi?

So for I have rockin' Sprint's network 99% of the time.  Forced it to TMo so I can do some RF comparisons on N5 vs N5x. 

So when on the TMobile network, does the speedtest app count against my data allowance on ProjectFi?

So for I have rockin' Sprint's network 99% of the time. Forced it to TMo so I can do some RF comparisons on N5 vs N5x.

All cellular data including hangout calls country against you. No bing on or speed test exception applies on Project Fi.

All cellular data including hangout calls country against you. No bing on or speed test exception applies on Project Fi.

That stinks.  Might have to pop in my TMo sim then.  

Now, you mention hangout calls...  Are you saying that as an FYI or does TMo not count Hangout call data against you?

That stinks. Might have to pop in my TMo sim then.

Now, you mention hangout calls... Are you saying that as an FYI or does TMo not count Hangout call data against you?

They both count hangouts data.

Project Fi is unlimited calls through phone app, however the hangouts dialer will count against your data (it's a data stream)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Did anyone tried to roam on Verzion using Project FI? Mine seems won't roam.

I was on Verizon 1xRTT in a couple of places and used a little bit of data, but in other places where I've been on Verizon 1xRTT I haven't had any data.

I was on Verizon 1xRTT in a couple of places and used a little bit of data, but in other places where I've been on Verizon 1xRTT I haven't had any data.

This is my experience too. Sometimes cannot get any 1x data on Verizon, just SMS and voice only. Highly variable, sometimes from one tower to the next. But I have not seen any Verizon roaming in Washington or Idaho. Just Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and Nebraska on my travels.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

This is my experience too. Sometimes cannot get any 1x data on Verizon, just SMS and voice only. Highly variable, sometimes from one tower to the next. But I have not seen any Verizon roaming in Washington or Idaho. Just Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and Nebraska on my travels.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I wasn't able to get any Verizon roaming in Washington. Maybe Google somehow geo restricted the roaming.

Anyone have Fi roam on other RRPP or CCA carriers? Or US Cellular?

I have on Viaero in Nebraska. But I've never roamed on USCC that I recall.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

They are on the verge of making me switch but I love my Unlimited data too much. Additionally my usage is too inconsistent. In college my bill would be $45 but when I come home my bill could easily be twice that.

Edit: But I guess my phone would connect to WiFi more regularly. Ever since picking up my Nexus 6, I lack the Sprint Connection Optimizer so my phone is not as aggressive at trying to connect to WiFi. Sometimes I forget to put it back on and connecting to the city-wide WiFi.

• Like 1