Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

Just activated my Fi account!  I was using Sprint GV integration, so I disabled that before porting my Sprint number over, no issues.  Ported within a few minutes.  One less SERO plan user, and Fi will still probably be cheaper for the amount of data I use.

• Like 3

Activated my Project Fi on my Nexus 6P this afternoon! So far so good, LTE everywhere, and the porting process took less than 5 minutes. I have only been connected to T-Mobile, even in areas where I know Sprint is good. Seems that Project Fi prefers T-Mobile, at least here in Orange County.

T-Mobile Band 12 also works with the 6P, I connected in various areas this evening.

No complaints yet! Should be cheaper than Sprint Unlimited, since I have WiFi at home and work.

• Like 1

I wish Phoenix would get moving on replacing their Emergency Responder network that is squatting on the 800Mhz, and now that I'm on Fi, I want the channel 51 ION television to vacate the lower 700Mhz so we could get band 12 here.... arghh

• Like 2

I wish Phoenix would get moving on replacing their Emergency Responder network that is squatting on the 800Mhz, and now that I'm on Fi, I want the channel 51 ION television to vacate the lower 700Mhz so we could get band 12 here.... arghh

Think I'm going to order my N5X today and switch to Fi. How's it working for you so far?

• Like 1

So, I got an unlocked Nexus 6 from Amazon, could not find a nano SIM in any Sprint store or Best Buy near me, and ordered one from Amazon that people indicated had worked.  I had to chat with someone at Sprint to get it activated, but was able to, and voice and LTE data worked fine.  I activated it on October 10th.

I was curious about Project Fi, and wanted to see if the coverage was better in the metro areas I frequent where Sprint is spotty.  FYI, some are better, but many dead zones are dead for both Sprint and T-Mobile, and Project Fi will really have to hunt around for any kind of signal in those places.

I got in on the free invite period, and ordered service, so they sent me a Fi SIM.  I was not able to fully activate Project Fi on the N6 until I activated a different phone on my Sprint line (I did not port my Sprint number, as this was just me testing coverage).  Once I did that, I had an N6 on Fi, no trouble.  I completed activation on Fi on Saturday morning, the 31st.

By Monday afternoon, I had been to all my normal places, done a bunch of speed tests, and had eaten through enough data to get an idea of how well the Fi network would work for me and other people on my plan (expensive for me, but reasonable for everyone else).  So, I tried to switch back to Sprint.

The automated system said I could not switch to the N6, so I chatted.  They said my Sprint nano SIM that I had just used a few days ago was a "Samsung SIM" and could not be paired with the N6.  I had to leave, so I had to end the chat.  I tried again Tuesday morning.

Eventually, they said some of the same things, but decided the SIM was "bad" and are sending me a new one for free, which is OK, I guess, as it is arriving today.

My question is:  How can a SIM that is not being used for just a few days go "bad?"  I am concerned that, if I want to test out Project Fi any more, I will have the same problem.  I don't believe there is truly anything wrong with the SIM, but that they have some kind of problem in their system, and I want to understand, so I know whether I will be able to test out Fi, again, or just re-create the same problem.

It's going to be difficult to switch back and forth.  I don't know about the SIM situation (I'm dubious they actually knew what they are talking about), but Sprint still classifies device MEIDs as either "wholesale" or Sprint proper in their whitelisting system.  It is a total pain in the ass to get someone at Sprint (or Google) who knows enough to be able to switch your device between the two classifications.  I just went through this with my old N6 which was on Fi, and I gave to my wife and wanted to put it on Sprint.  Eventually I had to get someone at Google contact someone high up at Sprint to get this done--it took a week of persistent work. 

I don't think you'll be doing this regularly unless the process improves greatly.

• Like 1

Love the 5X.  It is a little bigger than the N5 I had, but I am already used to it.  Fi in Phoenix has been good. 

Got mine late yesterday. I am hooked up and today will test useage and battery life. So far I like the 5x better than the Nexus 6 I have. I had nicknamed the Nexus 6 "The Billboard"

• Like 2

It's going to be difficult to switch back and forth.  I don't know about the SIM situation (I'm dubious they actually knew what they are talking about), but Sprint still classifies device MEIDs as either "wholesale" or Sprint proper in their whitelisting system.  It is a total pain in the ass to get someone at Sprint (or Google) who knows enough to be able to switch your device between the two classifications.  I just went through this with my old N6 which was on Fi, and I gave to my wife and wanted to put it on Sprint.  Eventually I had to get someone at Google contact someone high up at Sprint to get this done--it took a week of persistent work. 

I don't think you'll be doing this regularly unless the process improves greatly.

Did you choose the CANCEL SERVICE button on the phone in the Fi App before switching?  I was hoping that, if I do that, the switch will work.  Thanks for the info.  I sure hope I don't have to go through all that!

Did you choose the CANCEL SERVICE button on the phone in the Fi App before switching?  I was hoping that, if I do that, the switch will work.  Thanks for the info.  I sure hope I don't have to go through all that!

I did not.  I removed the device from the account but left the line active for a different device.  Hopefully cancelling the entire account will do the right thing.  I guess you'll find out--good luck, but you might be in for some work.

see the following for a similar experience:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/3df3sz/moving_nexus_6_to_sprint_after_leaving_project_fi/ct4kv9a

It would be nice if at some point Sprint stopped delineating devices between Sprint proper, Boost/Virgin, and other wholesale vendors but I'm sure this is one of those corner cases that the vast majority of folks never run into.

• Like 1

I did not.  I removed the device from the account but left the line active for a different device.  Hopefully cancelling the entire account will do the right thing.  I guess you'll find out--good luck, but you might be in for some work.

see the following for a similar experience:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/3df3sz/moving_nexus_6_to_sprint_after_leaving_project_fi/ct4kv9a

It would be nice if at some point Sprint stopped delineating devices between Sprint proper, Boost/Virgin, and other wholesale vendors but I'm sure this is one of those corner cases that the vast majority of folks never run into.

No joy in Mudville!  Supposedly, a "click-it ticket" was created on Saturday, so I am supposed to have a resolution by tonight.  However, I just could not take using the Note 4 any longer.  The bad GPS keeps missing turns, among other problems, and that, alone is beyond frustrating, for me.  So, I activated it on T-Mobile, since when it was on Project Fi, it stayed on T-Mobile almost exclusively.  We'll see if that lasts.  With a cruise in 19 days, I'll get to test out the international coverage!

I have to say, popping in a SIM from a GSM provider sure was easy!!  I can only hope, as we move to more non-subsidized, carrier-agnostic phones, that this kind of problem will go away.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if I go to tmobile, to test, with my nexus 6p and back to sprint is that gonna be a problem like it is with project fi. Looking at trying project fi, but don't want to have the issues people are having with comming back to Sprint. Just curious. Thanks

Does anyone know if I go to tmobile, to test, with my nexus 6p and back to sprint is that gonna be a problem like it is with project fi. Looking at trying project fi, but don't want to have the issues people are having with comming back to Sprint. Just curious. Thanks

The reason it is a problem with Project FI, is that you are using Sprints network, so they have to register your IMEI with Sprint.  When Fi does that if flags your phone as a wholesale phone.  When you try to bring it back to Sprint, they have issues changing it from wholesale to native Sprint.  TMobile and ATT and Verizon do not have this issue. 

savageman13, on 13 Dec 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

The reason it is a problem with Project FI, is that you are using Sprints network, so they have to register your IMEI with Sprint. When Fi does that if flags your phone as a wholesale phone. When you try to bring it back to Sprint, they have issues changing it from wholesale to native Sprint. TMobile and ATT and Verizon do not have this issue.

So what you are saying, I should be able to get a t mobile sim to tryout and have no problems going back to sprint(don't want to cancel sprint service yet). I have a couple of spots where my sprint service is hit or miss and supposedly the tmobile 700mghz is live where i have hit or miss coverage. I just don't want to have problems going back to my sprint account. If the t mobile coverage is good, I plan on switching to project fi. I should be able to just remove sprint sim and insert t mobiles sim and go from there. Let me know if that is correct or not.

basically wondering if I can just pull sims out and go easily between the two services, with no hiccups. So pull current sprint sim out install tmobile sim and activate, when done with that take tmobile sim out and put sprint back in. Is it gonna work that easy?

Since I've been on Google Fi for over a week, there are a couple negatives so far. The cell service does not appear to look for the best signal or the fastest speed. Instead, it camps on one carrier until all signal is lost, and then it jumps to the other carrier and stays on that one. During the switch, all calls and data are dropped as it takes a mind blowingly long 2 seconds. This poses the same problems that made me leave sprint, I don't ever want to lose signal or LTE. I heard that Google built in a learning mechanism that will self improve over time, but I was more hoping that switches between carriers would be seamless. Also, the wifi calling has not been used so I'm not sure if it is working. I have att uverse so my interest is fast so I'm not sure why it would choose wireless over using wifi.

Regardless, I'm happy I switched. I like the much lower monthly fee that aligns with my usage,i like the overseas speeds that actually work, I like the ability to force the phone to switch to a specific carrier, I like visual voicemail. In OC, I make sure I am camped on tmobile or else I'll be pulling my hair out all day and I now have that option. Plus,they gave me a free Christmas gift and $25 off my first statement because I called in. Not sure why other services can't emulate this customer experience.

During the switch, all calls and data are dropped as it takes a mind blowingly long 2 seconds. This poses the same problems that made me leave sprint, I don't ever want to lose signal or LTE. I heard that Google built in a learning mechanism that will self improve over time, but I was more hoping that switches between carriers would be seamless.

What you want is not possible.

AJ

What you want is not possible.

AJ

That's too bad. They almost advertise it like it will seek out the best speed. Oh well.

I have noticed that the grass isn't always greener on the other side too. I frequently miss calls on tmobile, sometimes the other party can't hear me, and some of my calls are blocked.