Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

I think it is less of a disappointment when you look at the fairly innovative things that are being done here:

1. Multi-profile SIM, with on the fly switching.

2. Automatically using VPN on public wifi networks to do wifi calling (not just home hotspot)

3. Transitioning from Wifi to cellular automatically on dropped calls (and possibly cellular to cellular?)

4. MVNO price comparisons are not exactly fair since most MVNOs have zero roaming partners, so coverage is not

equivalent.  Obviously Google has fairly extensive 2G coverage here that networks like virgin or even ting (aside from voice only) do not have.

5. Unused data is refunded at the end of the month to the tenth of the GB.  

It starts to get uncompetitive at higher data usage rates, but maybe they will get the cost down eventually.

• Like 7

I requested an invite...Going to test it out since I have the Nexus 6....Here where i'm at, some areas T-Mobile covers better than Sprint and vise versa. May be a benefit for me as at work Sprint is awesome, and at home T-Mobile has a tower outside my home and better coverage out and about around my neighborhood. Will see how it works. Hopefully get the invite soon.

If the rumors about Google paying Sprint/T-Mobile $2/GB were true, then their $10/GB rate + $20 base price seem like significant markup.

Previously I was thinking Google wanted to undercut the competition, but instead it seems like they're going the route of charging a premium for the innovative network switching?

It doesn't seem very competitive at the low, medium, or high end of data usage to me?  For my case of using ~700 MB/month and on the $25/month Sprint Framily plan, Google Fi would be *close* at $27/month;  but there's no motivation to switch.  For heavy data users it will be far more expensive.  Extremely low data users are probably better off with Ting.

On the other hand, the international roaming support is a nice perk.

It doesn't seem very competitive at the low, medium, or high end of data usage to me?  For my case of using ~700 MB/month and on the $25/month Sprint Framily plan, Google Fi would be *close* at $27/month;  but there's no motivation to switch.  For heavy data users it will be far more expensive.  Extremely low data users are probably better off with Ting.

It's competitive with today's Sprint plans on the low end.  Family Share pack is $45 for 1gb and $50 for 2gb.  If you have multiple lines or employee discounts, Sprint's plans can become more attractive.  Then again, it might not, since Google will only charge you for what you use--and no overage charges (just additional usage).  Maybe you're much better at exactly hitting your data allotment than I.

• Like 4

It's competitive with today's Sprint plans on the low end.  Family Share pack is $45 for 1gb and $50 for 2gb.  If you have multiple lines or employee discounts, Sprint's plans can become more attractive.  Then again, it might not, since Google will only charge you for what you use--and no overage charges (just additional usage).  Maybe you're much better at exactly hitting your data allotment than I.

I dunno, if you compare it against exceptionally priced prepaid plans, it doesn't seem all that great.

You can get the T-Mobile 5GB plan for $30/month.  I know there are other prepaid plans that offer similar value.

For $5/GB seems to be the disruptive pricepoint that I would expect google to compete at.

Competitive isn't good enough for a disruptive service - which is what Google is trying to do.

I think the Google service is innovative and the prices are fair. For people who are light data users, the pricing is competitive. Not the cheapest, but competitive. For moderate to heavy data users, there is a significant cost detriment. Google knows this plan is not for you.

It will be a good option for many people. It will also be a good secondary device for many. I'm hoping it will get beyond just the Nexus 6. I don't want a phone that big but would love to give this a try.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Competitive isn't good enough for a disruptive service - which is what Google is trying to do.

I'm not sure Google is trying to be disruptive. I'm not sure you can be all that disruptive as a MVNO. Because the Provider will not agree to terms that will make it disruptive to them. Sprint and Tmo probably had a say in the $10/GB price point.

I'm not sure what Google is trying to do, actually. Proof of concept? Promote the N6? Get something started while working on their own network that will be supplemented by two virtual networks in the interim? I have no idea, really. But I know they aren't fooling themselves in thinking this will be disruptive in the way Google Fiber is.

• Like 2

Yawn, what a disapointment.

Its just another virtual network no one will talk about in 2 weeks.

I get your point. But it is more than that. No one else has dual carrier MVNO, generous roaming coverage and capability and reasonable international in plan as a MVNO. It's not just another MVNO. But at the end of the day, it is an MVNO.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Google is trying to be disruptive. I'm not sure you can be all that disruptive as a MVNO. Because the Provider will not agree to terms that will make it disruptive to them. Sprint and Tmo probably had a say in the $10/GB price point.

I'm not sure what Google is trying to do, actually. Proof of concept? Promote the N6? Get something started while working on their own network that will be supplemented by two virtual networks in the interim? I have no idea, really. But I know they aren't fooling themselves in thinking this will be disruptive in the way Google Fiber is.

Well, it seemed like Google was trying to be disruptive - offering two different carriers under one MVNO is definitely new/innovative. There have been some articles suggesting that Google was trying to be disruptive with this service similar to Google Fiber (not that they are really comparable...)

I agree on the pricing issue - I am guessing Sprint/T-Mobile wouldn't have been on board with lower pricing. But I think that unless they are disruptive on pricing it won't be all that interesting to customers. Perhaps it will really encourage customers to use less data (seems anti-Google) since they'll be refunded on what they don't use.

• Like 2

I dunno, if you compare it against exceptionally priced prepaid plans, it doesn't seem all that great.

You can get the T-Mobile 5GB plan for $30/month.  I know there are other prepaid plans that offer similar value.

For $5/GB seems to be the disruptive pricepoint that I would expect google to compete at.

The 5GB T-Mobile plan is a much different beast.  For one, it has only 100 minutes of voice, this has unlimited.  Secondly, that 5GB plan has no off T-Mobile network coverage.  Maybe if you never leave a major city that will work for you, but otherwise, this will provide much more coverage.  Imagine if Google gets additional small carriers in-tow--they might be able to get close to Big-2 coverage in many places for less cost.

The 5GB T-Mobile plan is a much different beast.  For one, it has only 100 minutes of voice, this has unlimited.  Secondly, that 5GB plan has no off T-Mobile network coverage.  Maybe if you never leave a major city that will work for you, but otherwise, this will provide much more coverage.  Imagine if Google gets additional small carriers in-tow--they might be able to get close to Big-2 coverage in many places for less cost.

Yeah, much more coverage sure but with VOIP calling (google voice/hangouts dialer) the 100 minutes thing isn't really compare.  It's just data vs. data.

I'm going to need to eventually get an Android phone to design cross-platform experiences. I may as well try this out...

So, how's the Nexus 6?

• Like 1

You know, if everyone using this got a free Nexus device then the pricing would be good.

I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

(Just saw the retail, non-subsidy price on the Nexus 6; maybe it'll make sense to buy used, or employer-paid)

• Like 1

You know, if everyone using this got a free Nexus device then the pricing would be good. 

I don't see how this is realistic.  The effective minimum bill (with miniscule data use) is $21/mo.  Over two years that's only a $504 outlay.  If we assume the Nexus 5 was sold at cost like many sources say it was, that means Google only makes $150 over two years on this customer on the actual service.   The prices may be off a bit on the data at $10/GB, but they're definitely not going to be giving away a device that costs them $350, let alone over $500 to make.  The data prices need to go down the more you use, or something more realistic.

Edited by jonaaron
  • Like 1

I'm going to need to eventually get an Android phone to design cross-platform experiences. I may as well try this out...

So, how's the Nexus 6?

I don't know how to put this, but it's kind of a big deal.

A really BIG deal.

AJ