Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

According to a WSJ article, Google's Nova Carrier Will Be Able To Switch Between Sprint And T-Mobile Depending On Which Has The Best Signal

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/26/wsj-googles-nova-carrier-will-able-switch-sprint-t-mobile-depending-best-signal/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

According to a WSJ article, Google's Nova Carrier Will Be Able To Switch Between Sprint And T-Mobile Depending On Which Has The Best Signal

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/26/wsj-googles-nova-carrier-will-able-switch-sprint-t-mobile-depending-best-signal/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes we know.

Guys, until proven otherwise, this Google dual operator MVNO will be a data only service with IMS for VoIP, etc.  It is the only technical solution that makes sense -- especially as Wi-Fi is included in the mix.

The devices will be single RF path.  They will not be able to camp simultaneously on multiple networks.  And cross network e/CSFB from Sprint LTE to T-Mobile W-CDMA or T-Mobile LTE to Sprint CDMA1X is not gonna happen.

AJ

Very much agreed.  This is the only approach that makes sense.

Given the investment Google has made in the Hangout Dialer and google voice, it would make a lot of sense for them to do just this.  They've already started soaking/testing before wider release.  Given what Apple has done with the Apple SIM in the iPads, seems like a logical step for google.

Google VOIP is very good at this point - much better than it used to be.  I use hangouts VOIP for all dialouts at this point and it's a very good service.  I feel pretty good about it being ready for commercial launch.

As a person who frequently compares T-Mobile to Sprint in terms of coverage/data speeds, the networks in my area actually complement each other rather well and I see it as a good incentive for both carriers to improve the data side of their networks.

I think this is good for the industry and is a good way to again steal market share from AT&T and Verizon.  I can't wait to get a Google prepaid sim to try this service out.

• Like 1

If that is the approach and this is a data only service with voice over IP, would the technology that allows switching between T Mobile and Sprint exist within the SIM card or will it require new technology within phones themselves? The reason that I ask is because I have a spare Nexus 5 that I was going to sell but I may just keep around to play with this service when it becomes available.

If that is the approach and this is a data only service with voice over IP, would the technology that allows switching between T Mobile and Sprint exist within the SIM card or will it require new technology within phones themselves? The reason that I ask is because I have a spare Nexus 5 that I was going to sell but I may just keep around to play with this service when it becomes available.

I think the SIM card would have a unique MCC-ID for Google and the T-Mobile and Sprint networks would broadcast that ID for Google SIMs to use.  It's the same as what T-Mobile did when they absorbed MetroPCS.  Tmo sites just started broadcasting the Metro PCS MCC-ID from their sites and the M-PCS devices could start using Tmo LTE right away all over the country.

But given the unique VOIP solution, existing phones may not work right with that.  Google may have a closed device ecosystem with only devices that have been tested and the proper software installed.  Or it may start that way, and then they bring in existing devices over time.  We need more details.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do believe that they will offer it only in conjunction with their Nexus line and it will serve mainly so that they can experiment with different business models and technologies. It might later come on other phones via their Hangouts/Google voice app. Look for WiFi centric service ala Freedom Wireless with most of the work being done by their own backbone and switching facilities at Internet POPs. The net revenue to Sprint/Tobile will be small.

As some of you have guessed, it sounds like they are only allowing Nexus 6 (not even the N5) onto the service at least initially.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-wireless-plan-has-one-catch-1425598890

Yep, just as I expected. I think the 5 might get a software upgrade as well.

As some of you have guessed, it sounds like they are only allowing Nexus 6 (not even the N5) onto the service at least initially.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-wireless-plan-has-one-catch-1425598890

If it's cheap enough, I'd jump on board to get easy access to Android for mobile design/development.

My guess is that this will be offered in Google Fiber cities only.

No, that would be an extremely small sample. The fact that they are only offering on the Nexus 6 is restrictive enough. I just hope it does not become abandonware.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today is the day:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/8467433/google-launches-mobile-service

https://fi.google.com/about/

Nexus 6 only, $20 base charge, $10 per GB charge that is prorated if you don't use the full GB.

Data rates the same around the world, international calling 20c/min

A resounding meh from me. My current Sprint plan is far, far better and this is beaten by a ton of MVNOs. The international stuff is cool I guess but I really only travel to Mexico once every 2-3 years so this won't be a huge draw for me. Even then I could just grab a t-mobile sim and use my phone (nexus 5) anyways.

• Like 1

So, it's live at fi.google.com

The coverage map is live too at https://fi.google.com/coverage 

This is a huge assumption, but based on the map, I'm guessing  Google's doing something like :

#1 - T-Mobile LTE, HSPA+ (if it exists with strong signal?)

#2 - Sprint LTE, EVDO (if it exists with strong signal?)

#3 - AT&T roaming (if T-Mobile allows it in that area, and #1 and #2 don't exist)

(No Verizon roaming of any kind?)

That statement mostly matches large parts of Michigan. The upper penninsula is listed as "2G" from Google, that certainly has to be AT&T GSM service, presumably through roaming via T-Mobile. Some parts of the map are labeled "3G", that are clearly Sprint EVDO service. 

But it's super odd -- and the above assumption doesn't always fit. It looks like it's sometimes taking the best of both networks, but sometimes taking the worst of both, for no particularly obvious reason.

For instance, South Haven, MI has LTE (from Sprint and T-Mobile) and has had it for quite a while now,  but only shows as "3G" on Google's map. It "mostly" is the best of both, but there's lots of weird outliers like that just don't fit any obvious pattern one way or the other.

I'm not sure what to make of this -- and it's a stretch to assume this much from a marketing coverage map. But this is super interesting to look through.

The pricing definitely could have been better. The only real advantage is being able to leverage two networks, which hopefully improves speed and coverage for the user. I'll be interested in hearing real-world results once people start using it.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

It says the best of two 4G LTE networks so it'll use T-Mobile or Sprint LTE wherever available. The 3G portion looks like Sprint EVDO. The 2G portion looks weird. Just looking at Montana, both Verizon and AT&T have better Montana coverage than what Google has on their map. Are they using smaller rural carriers for 2G?