Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

This also makes it unlikely that CDMA and umts would be both active as I don't think it's possible to switch between them often enough tabs quickly enough to not make it annoying.

Probably TMO's umts would always be used along with the lte of sprint or tmobile.

Is this possible?

Google is paying $2/gig. See articles above.

Also remember that Google is probably just using the wireless network and not the backbone of either T-mobile or Sprint. They will offload it off the wireless networks at the nearest point to their own backbone.

Also remember that Google is probably just using the wireless network and not the backbone of either T-mobile or Sprint. They will offload it off the wireless networks at the nearest point to their own backbone.

I don't know how that part would work but you still have to go from the cell tower to that location so they'd still be eating into the backhaul for the non google customers.

Obviously that's baked into the $2/gig costs.

I don't know how that part would work but you still have to go from the cell tower to that location so they'd still be eating into the backhaul for the non google customers.

Obviously that's baked into the $2/gig costs.

Yeah the backhaul but not the backbone.

Maybe they're using T-Mobile VoLTE and Sprint Spark. Would be an interesting approach, especially considering Sprint's accelerated Spark deployment.

So then sprint CDMA is out.

Though it would make sense to use b26 since it's more widespread than b12 both licensed and deployed.

This also makes it unlikely that CDMA and umts would be both active as I don't think it's possible to switch between them often enough tabs quickly enough to not make it annoying.

Probably TMO's umts would always be used along with the lte of sprint or tmobile.

Maybe they're using T-Mobile VoLTE and Sprint Spark. Would be an interesting approach, especially considering Sprint's accelerated Spark deployment.

Guys, until proven otherwise, this Google dual operator MVNO will be a data only service with IMS for VoIP, etc.  It is the only technical solution that makes sense -- especially as Wi-Fi is included in the mix.

The devices will be single RF path.  They will not be able to camp simultaneously on multiple networks.  And cross network e/CSFB from Sprint LTE to T-Mobile W-CDMA or T-Mobile LTE to Sprint CDMA1X is not gonna happen.

AJ

• Like 3

Never say never. I agree that it is unlikely but I would not say impossible.

I feel the same way, much like what happened to Motorola. No one saw that transaction coming and they bought them out only to release them to Lenovo later on. And although Motorola was basically a patent  buy and not a telecom I too say never say never. Plus, I could be wrong, I also think if such an buyout would happen that Google would buy T-Mobile instead of Sprint since it is more global than Sprint is.

TS

I feel the same way, much like what happened to Motorola. No one saw that transaction coming and they bought them out only to release them to Lenovo later on. And although Motorola was basically a patent  buy and not a telecom I too say never say never. Plus, I could be wrong, I also think if such an buyout would happen that Google would buy T-Mobile instead of Sprint since it is more global than Sprint is.

TS

Motorola was a total panic buy on their part. They lost their shirt on that one. Just as much as Apple/Microsoft's of the Rockstar patents.

Guys, until proven otherwise, this Google dual operator MVNO will be a data only service with IMS for VoIP, etc. It is the only technical solution that makes sense -- especially as Wi-Fi is included in the mix.

The devices will be single RF path. They will not be able to camp simultaneously on multiple networks. And cross network e/CSFB from Sprint LTE to T-Mobile W-CDMA or T-Mobile LTE to Sprint CDMA1X is not gonna happen.

AJ

So then will it be lte only?

If so they're not gonna launch until lowband lte is more widespread and b26 is farther ahead

If so they're not gonna launch until lowband lte is more widespread and b26 is farther ahead

I doubt that. This won't be a service targeting the boonies. It will be targeted to the cities, most of which have LTE widespread. The lack of low band for building penetration will be less of a problem with WiFi to pick to the slack.

I wonder if this means Google can take the TWC approach and blanket areas of towns with WiFi to give even better service for WiFi calling.

I live in Austin so I am really looking forward to what they eventually offer. Too bad Google Fiber rollout is so slow here..

I doubt that. This won't be a service targeting the boonies. It will be targeted to the cities, most of which have LTE widespread. The lack of low band for building penetration will be less of a problem with WiFi to pick to the slack.

Is google gonna have wifi to wifi ap handover? At very least need to have wifi to volte back to new wifi ap handover.

I think this'll definitely force sprint to do volte waaaay sooner than 2017.

Also people way overestimate wifi reach. Google'd have to deploy an insane number of wifi APs

Is google gonna have wifi to wifi ap handover? At very least need to have wifi to volte back to new wifi ap handover.

Also people way overestimate wifi reach. Google'd have to deploy an insane number of wifi APs

What TWC does here is fairly smart. It makes deals with businesses who use TWC to open a TWCable wifi for any TWC internet user above the "basic tier". Using this strategy the downtown area here has pretty good coverage as well as shopping areas where people go, etc. Sure it doesn't help you on the freeway doing 80 MPH but it worked great for me on Ting.  Unfortunately I now have to do quite a bit of business on the outskirts of town now and Ting became cost prohibitive without WiFi to offload onto.

What TWC does here is fairly smart. It makes deals with businesses who use TWC to open a TWCable wifi for any TWC internet user above the "basic tier". Using this strategy the downtown area here has pretty good coverage as well as shopping areas where people go, etc. Sure it doesn't help you on the freeway doing 80 MPH but it worked great for me on Ting.  Unfortunately I now have to do quite a bit of business on the outskirts of town now and Ting became cost prohibitive without WiFi to offload onto.

Optimum and TWC have done the same thing here in NYC. For such a large city it's kind of amazing that together they basically covered the whole city and have even spread out into Long Island. And then both have teamed up with Charter and Comcast to basically offer their customers Wi-Fi nationwide.

In fact, Cablevision (Optimum) is set to start their new "carrier" that is Wi-Fi only. The first device is supposed to be the MotoG. It was on FierceWoreless's home page.

Guys, until proven otherwise, this Google dual operator MVNO will be a data only service with IMS for VoIP, etc.  It is the only technical solution that makes sense -- especially as Wi-Fi is included in the mix.

The devices will be single RF path.  They will not be able to camp simultaneously on multiple networks.  And cross network e/CSFB from Sprint LTE to T-Mobile W-CDMA or T-Mobile LTE to Sprint CDMA1X is not gonna happen.

No one actually knows. We're all just throwing out ideas here. Rumors and speculation.

They could fall back from Sprint LTE to T-Mobile HSPA+ , or T-Mobile LTE to Sprint 1x.  It's completely possible to do this, even on a single RF path.

We know this is a fact, because it's already live on network today (for instance, T-Mobile LTE already falls back to MetroPCS 1x CDMA for compatible subscribers *and* to T-Mobile HSPA+ for those subscribers, by using dual MNCs ). There's lots of neat tricks like that could be used to make it happen.

However, it is extremely unlikely Google will use this, because it's hard to orchestrate (technically both from the device side and from the network side, as well as politically from the business standpoint of convincing two competitors to work together). It's also carries odd side effects (for instance, if you drop from LTE to HSPA+, what happens when you need to drop from HSPA+ to 1x? Call drop?)

But it's not impossible.

- - - 

No one actually knows what Google will do. But the cool thing about Google is that they are big enough that it becomes plausible that interesting things could occur. 

No MVNO has ever been big enough and cared enough to make Sprint + T-Mobile support anything interesting from a network sharing standpoint, even though they technically can do so.  Google's fun to talk about, because they're large enough that it becomes plausible to discuss. 

That doesn't mean Google will do anything interesting. It is very likely that they won't. I won't be shocked if they just pull a Straight Talk / Ting and ship out different SIM cards for each network. But Google could potentially do something interesting, And that makes it fun/interesting to discuss.

• Like 2

I'm guessing the phone with keep a VPN connection open to google to tunnel everything (not just calls) through, at least over any open wifi it finds?

They could even keep it up over LTE to deal with IP address changes between carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Not if they use white space radio's.

The Google MVNO has no bearing on Sprint VoLTE.  I doubt that it will have any relevance to T-Mobile VoLTE either.  VoLTE is a voice service.  Indications so far are that the Google MVNO will be a data service with some IMS over the top to support VoIP, SMS, etc.  My guess is that those over the top services will be handled through Google Voice in conjunction with Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer.

AJ

• Like 3

I do not know how or why you jump to that conclusion.

The Google MVNO very well could be LTE only.  Android devices have long contained a hidden menu that allows an LTE only setting.

But a Google MVNO certainly would not have to be LTE only.  If I were running the show, I would make it LTE/eHRPD on Sprint and LTE/W-CDMA on T-Mobile.  LTE and eHRPD are seamless on the IP side; the same goes for LTE and W-CDMA.

I probably would not include CDMA1X and EDGE/GPRS, though.  While those airlinks could still be used as last resorts for some light data, they rarely would have the throughput and latency to support VoIP, not to mention the VPN that Google probably will use to knit this all together.

AJ

• Like 2

The Google MVNO very well could be LTE only. Android devices have long contained a hidden menu that allows an LTE only setting.

But a Google MVNO certainly would not have to be LTE only. If I were running the show, I would make it LTE/eHRPD on Sprint and LTE/W-CDMA on T-Mobile. LTE and eHRPD are seamless on the IP side; the same goes for LTE and W-CDMA.

I probably would not include CDMA1X and EDGE/GPRS, though. While those airlinks could still be used as last resorts for some light data, they rarely would have the throughput and latency to support VoIP, not to mention the VPN that Google probably will use to knit this all together.

AJ

But it's impossible to do TMO lte to sprint lte handoff?

The Google MVNO very well could be LTE only.  Android devices have long contained a hidden menu that allows an LTE only setting.

But a Google MVNO certainly would not have to be LTE only.  If I were running the show, I would make it LTE/eHRPD on Sprint and LTE/W-CDMA on T-Mobile.  LTE and eHRPD are seamless on the IP side; the same goes for LTE and W-CDMA.

I probably would not include CDMA1X and EDGE/GPRS, though.  While those airlinks could still be used as last resorts for some light data, they rarely would have the throughput and latency to support VoIP, not to mention the VPN that Google probably will use to knit this all together.

AJ

You know AJ....We all love jumping to conclusions around here....We should make a game or something out of it...oh wait....

You know AJ....We all love jumping to conclusions around here....We should make a game or something out of it...oh wait....

Okay, get laid off.  Get depressed.  Try to kill yourself via carbon monoxide asphyxiation in your car inside your garage.  Change your mind.  Pull out of the garage and immediately get broadsided by a drunk driver.  Get a big cash settlement.  Maybe that will inspire you to make a game...

AJ

• Like 1

Okay, get laid off.  Get depressed.  Try to kill yourself via carbon monoxide asphyxiation in your car inside your garage.  Change your mind.  Pull out of the garage and immediately get broadsided by a drunk driver.  Get a big cash settlement.  Maybe that will inspire you to make a game...

AJ

Sounds like a fabulous idea!!! :-P