Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

Not true. It can be done but requires some intelligence at the Google switches. It really depends at what point Google integrates with the two networks. 

Go back and read JosefTor's post.  He complains that the Project Fi switch between networks takes a "mind blowingly long 2 seconds."  I hope that is sarcasm.  Whining about two seconds?  Barring a dual radio handset, the network swap is not going to get much faster.  And you can take that to the bank.

AJ

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Project Fi get to roam on Verizon today. Is it accidental? Or Google has open up roaming.

I roam on Verizon 1x all the time here in South Dakota. Its been that way since summer. I don't know if I'd call it roaming. It counts exactly the same. It's just limited to 1x though.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

I roam on Verizon 1x all the time here in South Dakota. Its been that way since summer. I don't know if I'd call it roaming. It counts exactly the same. It's just limited to 1x though.

The Project Fi Coverage map doesn't seems to include Verizon Roaming. It did include AT&T roaming from TMO.

If that's true, Fi is the only service that can use all four networks.

The Project Fi Coverage map doesn't seems to include Verizon Roaming. It did include AT&T roaming from TMO.

If that's true, Fi is the only service that can use all four networks.

What's shown for 2G coverage in South Dakota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Wyoming lines up with VZW coverage. I have never been on AT&T using Project Fi. Not once. Just Tmo, Sprint, VZW and lots of little operators.

What's shown for 2G coverage in South Dakota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Wyoming lines up with VZW coverage. I have never been on AT&T using Project Fi. Not once. Just Tmo, Sprint, VZW and lots of little operators.

Won't somebody please think of the AT&T?!  Randall could go hungry.

Helen_Lovejoy_Tapped_Out.png

AJ

• Like 1

The reason I say AT&T is Idaho.

If you look at the I-90 between Spokane and Montana,  Project Fi and T-Mobile's coverage map show it as no coverage. however, in Sprint coverage map, it shows as roaming.  Project Fi's coverage map in Idaho is exactly the same as T-Mobile.

The reason I say AT&T is Idaho.

If you look at the I-90 between Spokane and Montana, Project Fi and T-Mobile's coverage map show it as no coverage. however, in Sprint coverage map, it shows as roaming. Project Fi's coverage map in Idaho is exactly the same as T-Mobile.

They may not use VZW in every market. But if they show no coverage, they aren't using AT&T either. Because AT&T does show coverage between Spokane and Montana. Also, Sprint could be roaming on a local provider, or their maps are inaccurate. Because we know Sprint is not roaming on AT&T.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

They may not use VZW in every market. But if they show no coverage, they aren't using AT&T either. Because AT&T does show coverage between Spokane and Montana. Also, Sprint could be roaming on a local provider, or their maps are inaccurate. Because we know Sprint is not roaming on AT&T.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

But T-mobile occasionally roam on AT&T and only part of AT&T's network.

Next time when you roaming, try to force T-mobile *#*#34866(FITMO)#*#*  and see if AT&T comes up.

Next time when you roaming, try to force T-mobile *#*#34866(FITMO)#*#* and see if AT&T comes up.

I roam on AT&T all the time on my T-Mobile SIM. But Tmo MVNOs do not. Google works out their own agreements with each carrier partner, they are not part and parcel to Tmo and Sprint roaming agreements. I have never seen AT&T on Google Fi, yet. Not to say Google won't work out something with them in the future.

When I force Tmo only on Google Fi, I only get Tmo. I won't even get the local Golden West Wireless. I have to stay in auto mode to get other providers. I have never roamed on Google Fi. All these carriers appears Native to me. And they all count against my data the same. Since Google Fi works out all these agreements individually for Google Fi customers, there is essentially no roaming. They are all akin to MVNO agreements, in essence.

Next time when you roaming, try to force T-mobile *#*#34866(FITMO)#*#*  and see if AT&T comes up.

Yes, Robert is correct.  You are incorrectly assuming that, by partnering with T-Mobile, Project Fi gets the entire T-Mobile native + roaming coverage footprint.  No, it does not get necessarily the roaming partners.  Just because T-Mobile roams on AT&T in some places means nothing absolute to Project Fi, which may choose other operators in those areas.

AJ

Yes, Robert is correct. You are incorrectly assuming that, by partnering with T-Mobile, Project Fi gets the entire T-Mobile native + roaming coverage footprint. No, it does not get necessarily the roaming partners. Just because T-Mobile roams on AT&T in some places means nothing absolute to Project Fi, which may choose other operators in those areas.

AJ

Righty-O! If that were the case, Project Fi would be on AT&T all over South Dakota. Because T Mobile does roam on AT&T WCDMA all over the state. And clearly, Project Fi does not roam on AT&T here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just signed up for Project Fi. I will use mostly to gauge how good the T-Mobile and Sprint networks are in my area and the places I visit. In the beginning I will just set it to either the T-Mobile or Sprint network and compare. I also have a spare AT&T sim and use that to compare as well. It should be interesting.

I just signed up for Project Fi. I will use mostly to gauge how good the T-Mobile and Sprint networks are in my area and the places I visit. In the beginning I will just set it to either the T-Mobile or Sprint network and compare. I also have a spare AT&T sim and use that to compare as well. It should be interesting.

I did not know that Project Fi had added the Palm Treo 755p to its compatible device list.

AJ

Some of my preliminary observations mainly from using the 5x indoors:

1. The switching part needs a lot of work. Sometimes it just camps on Sprint 1x for hours.

2. Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile have consistent LTE signal despite both of them having 800 and 700 LTE around here. Sprint dropped to EVDO and 1x way too often. B41 would appear very rarely and then disappear quickly. Band 25 was seen once in a while. LTE b26 was seen more often than b25

3. AT&T blows both of them out of the water in spite of mainly camping on LTE 1900. Rarely if ever dropped to WCDMA.

Now granted this was a challenging indoor environment but then it was the same for everybody.

One minor gripe. The SIM tray on the 5x makes it very challenging to switch SIMs. 

One other minor gripe. I have a carload of regular USB 2.0 bricks. Google could have included a USB-USB C adaptor. It would be great for the environment.

Edited by bigsnake49

How do you force a new PRL on the 5x?

If it's the same as with a Sprint SIM, go to Settings, More (under wireless and networks), cellular networks, carrier settings, update PRL. But I'm not sure if that last option is there on Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

If it's the same as with a Sprint SIM, go to Settings, More (under wireless and networks), cellular networks, carrier settings, update PRL. But I'm not sure if that last option is there on Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I have to use *#*#34963#*#* to get my Project Fi devices to do a PRL update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

OK this is not a critique of Project fi since you can actually get Visual Voicemail to work, not without a bit of tweaking, but when I switch the SIM to AT&T I lose VV. Major deficiency of Android as far as I am concerned. You have to download a carrier specific VV to get it to work. WTF? Windows phone has it, iPhone has it, why not stock Android?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The nexus 5x is being offered for $199 if you signup for Project Fi right now. I'm guessing not a rousing take up of the previous price plan.

i would but project fi is not available for my zip code 

i would but project fi is not available for my zip code 

When's the last time you checked? As of today, Google is no longer requiring invites to sign up for Fi (which is why they're putting the 5X on sale). Some articles I've seen about it are saying anyone in the U.S. can sign up now. I don't know if that means geographically or just referencing not needing an invite anymore.

If you're interested in Fi, you may want to check again. it might be available to you now.