Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

So here's my test...

I forced my phone to Sprint and placed a call from cell to office and look at what we have on SCP:

uploadfromtaptalk1435457328313.png

1x 800! What?!

Now I called my cell from my office and got this...

uploadfromtaptalk1435457378035.png

1x800, but look at that FiNetwork LTE on SCP.... Interesting....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1435457311912.png

So, I wonder, if I call a Sprint subscriber if I get Sprint's HD calling when calling on the Sprint network?

I thought all Google Fi calls would be VoIP?

As I recall, Project Fi has long retained the possibility of using circuit switched CDMA1X, W-CDMA, and maybe even GSM voice.  But if it is using Sprint or T-Mobile LTE for voice, that does not necessarily mean VoLTE.  People need to understand that.  VoLTE is different from VoIP using LTE.

AJ

• Like 4

So it looks like a mix of packet circuit switched and VoLTE if your on T-Mobile...

• Like 1

I received my invite on the 26th but will not be activating it. While I don't care for the Nexus 6, that isn't why I won't be using it. I can put up with a huge phone, but I can not put up with losing Google Voice. I hope Google is able to integrate the services at some point.

• Like 1

It could be they are releasing invites by geographic area.

And to answer your question AJ, I just ordered the SIM and used my nexus that was on Sprint.

FYI: if you have a Nexus on Sprint you plan on using with Fi, you must deactivate it from being active otherwise, Fi activation will fail.

I put my Fi SIM in my N6 and went through activation and failed on the Sprint part. Once I activated my Sprint number on a different phone, it went through. Then I ported out of Sprint the next day.

This is an interesting caveat.  To save all of the details, the intent for me was simply to test drive the Fi network over a couple of days (read: weekend) and then switch back to Sprint before the work week as I use my phone extensively for work and do not want to switch numbers yet / port over officially to Project Fi.  Please note that per above, you need to specifically de-activate your Nexus 6 from your Sprint account for your Nexus to be fully activated on Project Fi.  Here comes the fun.  I had an old Nexus 5, so I had activated it on my account in the interim.  I was done testing / playing with Project Fi and so I went online to Sprint's website to switch the device back to Sprint.  No dice.  I received an error stating that my device is not "We're sorry. The phone you've selected cannot be used at this time. Please select another phone to continue your activation."  Two hours later on Sprint technical support, no luck.  Two hours later today at a corporate repair center basically confirmed that the device ESN is no longer listed in Sprint's database to be activated and that it is unable to be brought into Sprint.  Even though, they confirmed that the N6 was on Sprint just days before under the same very account.  Two more phone calls into Project Fi where they confirmed that the "phone isn't locked when using Project Fi"... I'm now awaiting a response from Project Fi confirming that they in fact are releasing my ESN in order to get the phone back on Sprint.  All just to test drive Project Fi...

Hopefully this story can save someone else's time.  I'll keep everyone updated as to my resolution.  Pretty miffed that Google claimed they released my phone as I have now completely cancelled my Project Fi account instead of at first pausing them.

From my very basic understanding this is all Sprint's annoying way of authenticating devices.  If you are coming from a GSM carrier you shouldn't have these issues.  Blech.

• Like 4

From my very basic understanding this is all Sprint's annoying way of authenticating devices.  If you are coming from a GSM carrier you shouldn't have these issues.  Blech.

I've hit this before. Sprint is paranoid about device IDs.

I moved a Sprint device from Ting back to Sprint Postpaid six months ago. It was a completely ridiculous ordeal, requiring about ten phone calls and a fax, over two weeks, before it was finally resolved.

Apparently, at that time there was no procedure for it at all -- officially, it "couldn't be done". Unofficially, you simply call in over and over again, hope you get escalated high enough that someone has database access, hope they take pity on you and decide to manually edit the raw list to move your device over, and then wait however long it takes them to get around to doing that.

Taking a device *to* an MVNO is simple, and almost entirely automated. Leaving that MVNO to take a device back to Sprint is incredibly difficult.

• Like 4

I've hit this before. Sprint is paranoid about device IDs.

I moved a Sprint device from Ting back to Sprint Postpaid six months ago. It was a completely ridiculous ordeal, requiring about ten phone calls and a fax, over two weeks, before it was finally resolved.

Apparently, at that time there was no procedure for it at all -- officially, it "couldn't be done". Unofficially, you simply call in over and over again, hope you get escalated high enough that someone has database access, hope they take pity on you and decide to manually edit the raw list to move your device over, and then wait however long it takes them to get around to doing that.

Taking a device *to* an MVNO is simple, and almost entirely automated. Leaving that MVNO to take a device back to Sprint is incredibly difficult.

I now have confirmation in writing from Google that they have released my device...  We'll see how many phone calls today it takes to get this resolved.

Good luck.. this device release thing is what I believe cost sprint a new customer that I tried to bring onboard from TMO awhile back... she said it was the worst experience she ever had to deal with.  it started with me trying to reactivate a phone on our account that I had briefly tried (and failed HA!) to use on Freedompop... Their fix was to overnight her two prepaid iPhones... total FAIL.

• Like 2

Good luck.. this device release thing is what I believe cost sprint a new customer that I tried to bring onboard from TMO awhile back... she said it was the worst experience she ever had to deal with.  it started with me trying to reactivate a phone on our account that I had briefly tried (and failed HA!) to use on Freedompop... Their fix was to overnight her two prepaid iPhones... total FAIL.

It has been since Saturday and I still do not have a resolution.  I must admit, I know the process occurred because of my actions, but I really think it should be a simpler fix.  If I didn't have an existing N5 that I didn't happen to trade-in / sell when I bought the N6 I would be livid.

What has been people's experience with data roaming? Are there limits? Overage fees? Etc? This is one of the things holding me back. Also, I'm trying to force myself to wait until October/November when the next Nexus devices come out, hoping for a Nexus 5 reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What has been people's experience with data roaming? Are there limits? Overage fees? Etc? This is one of the things holding me back. Also, I'm trying to force myself to wait until October/November when the next Nexus devices come out, hoping for a Nexus 5 reboot.

There is no roaming

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

There is no roaming

Huh. I just got off the Fi tech support chat asking the same question. They said that Fi roams on the same partners that Sprint and T-mobile does and that there are no limits. I saw somewhere else that they allow roaming but just at a much much slower speed.

Can anyone speak to the accuracy of the LTE coverage on the Fi maps ? In my hellhole of a state, the Fi map seems to mostly only show Sprint LTE and show only Tmo hspa or less. We know that the Nexus should have access to all Tmo LTE.

I raised this question when Fi maps came out along with others, but havent found any user feedback anywhere thus yet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Huh. I just got off the Fi tech support chat asking the same question. They said that Fi roams on the same partners that Sprint and T-mobile does and that there are no limits. I saw somewhere else that they allow roaming but just at a much much slower speed.

When I talked to Fi support they said there is no roaming even for voice

Fe fi fo fum,

Project Fi and roaming, hmm?

AJ

• Like 2

When I talked to Fi support they said there is no roaming even for voice

Well, surely we can get someone to confirm of deny this.

It has been since Saturday and I still do not have a resolution.  I must admit, I know the process occurred because of my actions, but I really think it should be a simpler fix.  If I didn't have an existing N5 that I didn't happen to trade-in / sell when I bought the N6 I would be livid.

Just to keep everyone informed of the situation, it appears I'm "lucky".  After multiple days / trips to Sprint local stores and multiple phone calls to executive services they finally added the device / MEID back to the database in order to re-activate my phone.  It was an overnight process and when I went to activate it online it "went" thru.  I waited over a half hour and the website was showing my N6 as active, yet no phone calls / texts / nor data would work.  I had to go into the Sprint store who troubleshot it for an hour before they sent me to a corporate repair store.  Another additional 1.5 hours later, the techs were completely stumped.  The SIM card was active, the LTE data was live yet the phone would not make calls or send text messages.  I reiterated that I used my phone for work and had spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot this problem and the manager was kind enough to provide me with a store replacement.  She mentioned that she would be docked for doing it, but basically felt bad for me.

So, all in all I'm a bit confused.  No idea why my old N6 "broke" when it went to Project Fi and why it couldn't be re-activated to Sprint afterwards.  Seems pretty weird and I'll chalk it up to an early adopter.  Having said that, at least Sprint stepped up and provided me with a new working phone.  Thankfully it is a Nexus, so it only took me half a day to re-flash images to the latest software and get Xposed working again.

How is the experience with Project Fi working for everyone else?  Switching from TMobile to Sprint seamlessly / making sense?  I'm very interested in the service combination as I think it would bode well for my area, but I'm nervous about the data pricing.  Really just wanted to try it out.

This article offers a bit of what very few users seem to be talking about, the actual network experience.

Worth note: The author is using SignalCheck!

http://www.androidcentral.com/what-its-switching-between-networks-and-wifi-project-fi

He should really drop some coin on Pro ????

Sent from my Tab 4

• Like 9