Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

From what I can tell, it leaves your phone in automatic switching mode but just shunts it over to the next network.

As for the dialer codes, I don't see anywhere in the settings that allows the same functionality as the dialer codes. I'm assuming they're only for testing so will probably use that disclaimer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

When did you sign up for Google Fi? Was it day one.

how is the call quality? Does it use 1*800 or volte?

Call quality is the same as it was on Sprint, pretty good. When you're on T-Mobile it prefers VoLTE, on sprint, if you have a 1x800 signal, I think it falls back to circuit switched network. So no going from 1x800 to VoLTE. When I'm on WiFi, on the stock dialer, it will say "Calling via {WiFi Network Name}, then will transition to VoLTE if you leave coverage. So it leads me to believe it's using T-Mobile's VoLTE service. 

As an aside, My phone really prefers T-Mobile here. I switched to "Next Carrier" on my phone to Sprint, and after a reboot to get my SCP to work, it went back to T-Mobile, and screwed my SCP again, leading me to reboot again. Hmmmm...

• Like 1

When did you sign up for Google Fi? Was it day one.

Exactly 2 Month wait....I requested the invite April 22nd and got it on June 22nd....

Google Fi seems to be a good option for my area if you are careful on your data usage. Seems like my invite will never get here. Signed up on day one and still in determining status.

Quoted wrong post, meant to quote this on the dates...

Exactly 2 Month wait....I requested the invite April 22nd and got it on June 22nd....

Weird I also requested April 22 and I don't even have a 2-4 or 4-8 week status update. Maybe it's not ready in my area.

P.S....I got this nice bag of tricks with my SIM card....Oh the perks of Google Fi...Included are a Case for the Nexus 6, External Battery Charger (6000mAh), and Headphones. They even included a little green paperclip, in case you lost your SIM extractor tool with the phone! LOL

mnKRgEvl.jpg

• Like 6

P.S....I got this nice bag of tricks with my SIM card....Oh the perks of Google Fi...Included are a Case for the Nexus 6, External Battery Charger (6000mAh), and Headphones.

mnKRgEvl.jpg

Looks good!

I'm going to check my email and see if I've got a response. I'll post if I did.

I hate that there are alot of people on these sites saying they signed up for a invite with no nexus 6 and plan on waiting for more phone support. If you don't own a N6 or don't plan on owning one you shouldnt sign up making those of us who do have a nexus 6 wait longer. It's just not right.

• Like 3

I hate that there are alot of people on these sites saying they signed up for a invite with no nexus 6 and plan on waiting for more phone support. If you don't own a N6 or don't plan on owning one you shouldnt sign up making those of us who do have a nexus 6 wait longer. It's just not right.

I'm semi-guilty of this, though I'll explain.

I had a Nexus 6 when I had Sprint the first time around, which I cancelled due to the Framily plan ordeal. However, I signed up for Google Fi prior to returning the device, in case I got the invite before I had go return the device to Sprint. I wasn't thinking the FI rollout was going to be this gradual, as I was prepared to buy the device from Sprint as part of an etf if need be, but it turned out I had to switch out then for reasons that it isn't my own account.

However, since things are different now, I'd either order the Nexus 6 right when getting the invite, or message to Google asking them to give it to someone else, which I'll do if I go with Verizon as I'm currently planning.

Otherwise, I do agree with you about this, Terrell.

I'm semi-guilty of this, though I'll explain.

I had a Nexus 6 when I had Sprint the first time around, which I cancelled due to the Framily plan ordeal. However, I signed up for Google Fi prior to returning the device, in case I got the invite before I had go return the device to Sprint. I wasn't thinking the FI rollout was going to be this gradual, as I was prepared to buy the device from Sprint as part of an etf if need be, but it turned out I had to switch out then for reasons that it isn't my own account.

However, since things are different now, I'd either order the Nexus 6 right when getting the invite, or message to Google asking them to give it to someone else, which I'll do if I go with Verizon as I'm currently planning.

Otherwise, I do agree with you about this, Terrell.

You could give it to me. I'll pay shipping [emoji6]

• Like 1

Weird I also requested April 22 and I don't even have a 2-4 or 4-8 week status update. Maybe it's not ready in my area.

Same here for me, requested 4/22 and status is still determining. My area has good service for both sprint and T-Mobile. Funny thing is my wife requested same time and her status is 4-8 wks. So who knows?

"We" are not making you wait.  Google is making you wait.

And Google is making us wait -- both because we signed up months ago and because we want other, non stupidly huge handsets approved for Project Fi by now.

Regardless, as I understand it, each invite is tied to the Google account that requested it.  So, you cannot transfer or sell invites.  You cannot even set up a new Google account if you do not want Project Fi to break your Google Voice integration.

I received my invite yesterday, by the way.  I have no intention of using it.  So, suck it long, suck it hard, Trebek.

200_s.gif

AJ

• Like 1

You could give it to me. I'll pay shipping [emoji6]

If I were living independently on my own with my own banking, I'd definitely help you out, Terrell. ????

"We" are not making you wait. Google is making you wait.

And Google is making us wait -- both because we signed up months ago and because we want other, non stupidly huge handsets approved for Project Fi by now.

Regardless, as I understand it, each invite is tied to the Google account that requested it. So, you cannot transfer or sell invites. You cannot even set up a new Google account if you do not want Project Fi to break your Google Voice integration.

I received my invite yesterday, by the way. I have no intention of using it. So, suck it long, suck it hard, Trebek.

200_s.gif

AJ

Google should have made everyone put in there device IDs to prove that they have a N6 to speed up the process for people that actually intend to use it. The whole point of the invite is to beta test the network not get one just because you can. I don't think they thought this through enough.
  • Like 1

Google should have made everyone put in there device IDs to prove that they have a N6 to speed up the process for people that actually intend to use it. The whole point of the invite is to beta test the network not get one just because you can. I don't think they thought this through enough.

Nope.  That would not work.  Project Fi is not just for current Nexus 6 owners.  In fact, did not KD8JBF -- just a few posts above -- order his Nexus 6 as part of his invite?

AJ

Nope. That would not work. Project Fi is not just for current Nexus 6 owners. In fact, did not KD8JBF -- just a few posts above -- order his Nexus 6 as part of his invite?

AJ

That's. Fine. If you buy the Nexus 6 with the invite from google that's another story. If you don't have a N6 you shouldn't get at all you should not be able to be invited until you have one. Everything would go smoother on there end that way. You would only get requests from people able to beta test NOW. And there would be fewer request because you would actually need a N6 to get a invite in the first place thus they would be more capable of keeping up with demand.

• Like 1

It could be they are releasing invites by geographic area.

And to answer your question AJ, I just ordered the SIM and used my nexus that was on Sprint.

FYI: if you have a Nexus on Sprint you plan on using with Fi, you must deactivate it from being active otherwise, Fi activation will fail.

I put my Fi SIM in my N6 and went through activation and failed on the Sprint part. Once I activated my Sprint number on a different phone, it went through. Then I ported out of Sprint the next day.

• Like 1

And to answer your question AJ, I just ordered the SIM and used my nexus that was on Sprint.

Okay.  I saw the box of goodies pic you posted previously.  I thought that box also contained a Project Fi purchased Nexus 6.  My mistake.

AJ

• Like 1

Okay. I saw the box of goodies pic you posted previously. I thought that box also contained a Project Fi purchased Nexus 6. My mistake.

AJ

Ha, when I seen the box on my porch when I got home from FedEx I thought they sent me an N6 too. A box big enough to fit a tablet for just a Sim card? Surprise! Lol

Ha, when I seen the box on my porch when I got home from FedEx I thought they sent me an N6 too. A box big enough to fit a tablet for just a Sim card? Surprise! Lol

That package looked so neatly packed and organized, along with the items on the left not just thrown in-like, but placed well. For some reason the thought of "medical kit" came to my mind.

Hah...I'm browsing the G+ Private forum for Fi users, and they LOVE using SCP Lite....Just thought i'd throw that out there..LOL

• Like 4

I need to do some more testing, but it appears that VoLTE is over T-Mobile...i'll probably kick to sprint and attempt...Standby.

That package looked so neatly packed and organized, along with the items on the left not just thrown in-like, but placed well. For some reason the thought of "medical kit" came to my mind.

Yeah, Google hardware packaging is always really cool and well-organized. I've actually kept all of my Nexus boxes (though admittedly partially because I've had to RMA two of mine in the past). They do a good job of making packaging look nice.
  • Like 2