Google announces Project Fi: Partners with Sprint and T-Mobile for Network Access (previous title: Google to start it's own Wireless Service; using T-Mobile/Sprint for it's Network Footprint.)

IamMrFamous07

According to this article, it meets or beats most (minus the Unlimited plans from Sprint and T-Mobile).

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-unveils-wireless-service-called-project-fi-1429725928

**Image Credit: The Wall Street Journal Online

BT-AB392B_GOOGL_16U_20150422192406.jpg

Nice workup but I feel like they should have also included the two carrier-owned/captive MVNOs (MetroPCS and Cricket [auto-pay prices]). Compared to these Project FI isn't all that from a price prespective.

Data definitely is better than Sprint here. Voice about the same

Sent from my SM-N910T

Speeds should go back to respectable speeds once Sprint finally configures a good load balancing between their bands. So far through most of Houston, phones seem to be diverted to Band 26 over Band 25, which is leading to crippling speeds on most triband phones (currently pulling 0.2 Mbps download on -90 RSRP band 26). Single band phones (B25) on the other hand are enjoying an unused band and higher speeds.

The real difference maker in Houston will be when Sprint finally installs 8t8r radios. These dual Clearwire radios have a hard time penetrating through Houston's dense landscape.

Hopefully, T-Mobile has 700 MHz LTE deployed everywhere in Houston so Project Fi doesn't add more users into Band 26 whenever they are indoors.

• Like 1

Isn't the Nexus 6 compatible with all of Tmo's  LTE bands? 

While all the literature says the service will switch between between Tmo and Sprint, just flipping between Sprint, Tmo and Project Fi maps, the Fi map appears that:  1)Sprint LTE is preferred and shown in full 2)Chunks of LTE coverage shown on Tmo's own maps don't show up on the Project Fi map 3)Tmo roaming coverage is available in some places 4)Sprint roaming coverage is not available.   Was the map pieced together market by market? 

I'm very eager to hear reviews of the usage experience, especially in fringe areas and roaming.  

• Like 2

From my experience, speeds are faster the majority of the time with T-Mobile, but my friends on T-Mobile will lose data or switch to 2g more often when indoors (at restaurants, houses, apartments, etc). None of my friends with T-Mobile have a phone with band 12 though, so if Band 12 can fill in those holes then coverage wouldn't be an issue.

One thing in Texas - driving to Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio, basically a triangle in Texas, and people make this drive quite a bit, Sprint has LTE covered the entire way, while T-Mobile isn't quite there.

Last time I made the trip to Dallas 9/2014 or Austin 6/2014... Neither journey had complete LTE coverage. Note 3.

Barometer: Pandora

Result: switching to radio since data connection couldn't be established

Sent from my SM-N910T

Isn't the Nexus 6 compatible with all of Tmo's  LTE bands? 

While all the literature says the service will switch between between Tmo and Sprint, just flipping between Sprint, Tmo and Project Fi maps, the Fi map appears that:  1)Sprint LTE is preferred and shown in full 2)Chunks of LTE coverage shown on Tmo's own maps don't show up on the Project Fi map 3)Tmo roaming coverage is available in some places 4)Sprint roaming coverage is not available.   Was the map pieced together market by market? 

I'm very eager to hear reviews of the usage experience, especially in fringe areas and roaming.

Yes, Nexus 6 works on all bands across both carriers including all currently-used T-Mobile bands.

And yeah, the map is weird. Sprint LTE is usually shown, and T-Mobile EDGE + AT&T roaming is usually shown. Verizon roaming seems to be 100% absent. But Sprint's own 1x isn't always shown. And T-Mobile's HSPA+/LTE is often missing too. And some markets drop T-Mobile's AT&T roaming  (even when T-Mobile Postpaid allows it) seemingly at random.

I'm also seeing pieces of service that don't appear to belong to anyone. (Areas marked "3G" that don't show up on Sprint *or* T-Mobile's map) and areas that are just blank (even though both carriers offer LTE there for 1+ years now).

I'm wondering if Google just slapped something together by pulling from carrier maps at random. There doesn't seem to be any consistent logic to this map so far, that can't be dis-proven by that same map in some other area, unless Google is literally picking and choosing network priority/preference on a tower-by-tower basis.

And I'm hoping Google's map is simply wrong, because otherwise devices will be ignoring usable and present Sprint/T-Mobile service in number of areas...

• Like 1

Last time I made the trip to Dallas 9/2014 or Austin 6/2014... Neither journey had complete LTE coverage. Note 3.

Barometer: Pandora

Result: switching to radio since data connection couldn't be established

Sent from my SM-N910T

My last Dallas drive was the week after Christmas, there was probably a 10 minute stretch where I didn't have LTE (LG G3).  My friends on T-Mobile didn't have LTE for about 2.5 hours of the 3.5 hour drive.

Haven't been to Austin in a while, so can't comment there, but last time I drove to San Antonio was about 2 years ago and I don't remember dropping LTE.

If T-Mobile can cover those stretches at least as good as Sprint it'll be competitve.

My last Dallas drive was the week after Christmas, there was probably a 10 minute stretch where I didn't have LTE (LG G3). My friends on T-Mobile didn't have LTE for about 2.5 hours of the 3.5 hour drive.

Haven't been to Austin in a while, so can't comment there, but last time I drove to San Antonio was about 2 years ago and I don't remember dropping LTE.

If T-Mobile can cover those stretches at least as good as Sprint it'll be competitve.

I can attest to this. Last time I drove from Houston to San Antonio, I only lost LTE twice, but I can confirm that was due to eCSFB issues instead of coverage since airplane mode brought back LTE at -90 RSRP,(5 seconds later I was back on eHRPD) Considering its a 190 mile stretch, that's pretty damn good.

From Austin to Houston (via SH-71 & I-10), I lost LTE 3 times, but that was only on SH-71 and once was lost reception between hills and the other 2 times due to eCSFB issues.

From Houston to Dallas (as of October 2014), there is still a small stretch of I-45 with no LTE (closer to Dallas). But other than that, no eCSFB issues along I-45.

Overall, still a good LTE experience throughout Texas. Consider the fact that Sprint has LTE covering the small rural road connecting Huntsville, TX to College Station, TX and T-Mobile does not. That speaks volumes of the commitment of bringing LTE everywhere instead of T-Mobile just focusing on cities.

• Like 3

Not to turn this into an Android vs iPhone fan boy contest, but with the way Apple has lagged behind android and how they like to offer "Apple Only" services...not going to happen.

You're better off praying for Apple to start a similar service instead of them allowing google into their phones. Sorta like how Apple Pay came along way after Google Wallet was around.

There maybe an Apple wireless with ATT+Verizon network.

But I really want Google Wireless to be CCA wireless (which roam on every CCA members)

Yes, Nexus 6 works on all bands across both carriers including all currently-used T-Mobile bands.

And yeah, the map is weird. Sprint LTE is usually shown, and T-Mobile EDGE + AT&T roaming is usually shown. Verizon roaming seems to be 100% absent. But Sprint's own 1x isn't always shown. And T-Mobile's HSPA+/LTE is often missing too. And some markets drop T-Mobile's AT&T roaming  (even when T-Mobile Postpaid allows it) seemingly at random.

I'm also seeing pieces of service that don't appear to belong to anyone. (Areas marked "3G" that don't show up on Sprint *or* T-Mobile's map) and areas that are just blank (even though both carriers offer LTE there for 1+ years now).

I'm wondering if Google just slapped something together by pulling from carrier maps at random. There doesn't seem to be any consistent logic to this map so far, that can't be dis-proven by that same map in some other area, unless Google is literally picking and choosing network priority/preference on a tower-by-tower basis.

And I'm hoping Google's map is simply wrong, because otherwise devices will be ignoring usable and present Sprint/T-Mobile service in number of areas...

There's missing areas of Sprint LTE coverage too.  I have a feeling Google created the map with outdated data.

The Nexus 6 has had a lot of quality problems with coming apart at the seams, battery bulging etc. They need better/more handsets.

I think the majority are fine, this is not a huge percentage of users experiences. 

I liked my N6 when I first got it, but today its a powerhouse. Awesome signal, full engineering screen support, massive amount of rom support, and a ton of other small details that make it great.

• Like 2

I think the majority are fine, this is not a huge percentage of users experiences. 

I liked my N6 when I first got it, but today its a powerhouse. Awesome signal, full engineering screen support, massive amount of rom support, and a ton of other small details that make it great.

Agreed on all.  I only wish they had come out with a 6 and a 6 mini simultaneously.  I love the size, but I can see how it is just to big for many.  That was always one of my gripes with Apple was that users had no choice.  Now it seems almost as if the latest Android tablets are getting that way.  The flagships all have big screens and then IF there is a mini version usually the hardware gets brought down some.

So does anyone know what's the advantage of Google Fi vs Sprint integration? Seems as long as Sprint has better coverage than T-Mobile, then with Sprint integration you still get call/text from any hangouts device...

So does anyone know what's the advantage of Google Fi vs Sprint integration? Seems as long as Sprint has better coverage than T-Mobile, then with Sprint integration you still get call/text from any hangouts device...

Call handoff between cellular and wifi would be the most obvious to me.

Does anyone have any concrete information on if anything really makes the Google FI SIM card different? The ability to roam across CDMA and GSM networks isn't new, it's been done in other countries, but how about in terms of wifi, is there anything new there? Is authentication done through the SIM card with Passpoint? Also, does anyone have any more information on these hotspots? Are they just all manner of random hotspots that exist out there?

I have T-Mobile prepaid and sprint and sprint is more unreliable in the city then again tmobile has band 12 all over the place and my nexus 6 is a band 12 champ. In rural territory Sprint often has LTE while T-Mobile is on 2G. I'm in the city most of the time so I prefer t-mobile

From my experience, speeds are faster the majority of the time with T-Mobile, but my friends on T-Mobile will lose data or switch to 2g more often when indoors (at restaurants, houses, apartments, etc). None of my friends with T-Mobile have a phone with band 12 though, so if Band 12 can fill in those holes then coverage wouldn't be an issue.

One thing in Texas - driving to Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio, basically a triangle in Texas, and people make this drive quite a bit, Sprint has LTE covered the entire way, while T-Mobile isn't quite there.

• Like 1

This needs to be emphasized further.  According to the article, if you sign up for Project Fi, Google Voice capability is not just removed from the Nexus 6 -- it is removed entirely from your Google account.  You lose Google Voice across all devices.

AJ

• Like 3

This needs to be emphasized further.  According to the article, if you sign up for Project Fi, Google Voice capability is not just removed from the Nexus 6 -- it is removed entirely from your Google account.  You lose Google Voice across all devices.

AJ

This ensures I won't be be trying this out. Google Voice is something I'm not willing to give up, it's too bad they couldn't make them compatible.

Could I BYON6 on Fi? I could buy a used N6 cheaper than the $649 retail.

The way the below question is worded in the FAQ, it sounds like you can. You'd just need to get a Project Fi SIM card, which is apparently free

If I already have a Nexus 6, can I use it with Project Fi

Yes, you can bring a Nexus 6 you already use to Project Fi. When you sign up, you'll have the option to get a free SIM card shipped to you.

• Like 1