plan options while travelling to Canada

Last time we went to Canada we added the $2.99 canada roaming (for $0.20 phone calls) and bought a Wind Mobile hotspot. Cost was CAD35 for 1 month, 10Gb HSDPA data. For CAD15 extra, you can roam on Tmobile + some ATT 3G in the US.

Wind only works in a few cities ( Windsor, London, GTA, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton) but is the best value if you want a cheap hotspot. Expect 1-3Mb/sec.

• Like 1

Last time we went to Canada we added the $2.99 canada roaming (for $0.20 phone calls) and bought a Wind Mobile hotspot. Cost was CAD35 for 1 month, 10Gb HSDPA data. For CAD15 extra, you can roam on Tmobile + some ATT 3G in the US.

Wind only works in a few cities ( Windsor, London, GTA, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton) but is the best value if you want a cheap hotspot. Expect 1-3Mb/sec.

Great advice.

I'm probably going to be going to Toronto and/or Montreal for a few days later this year. Just so I'm clear, if I use Wi-Fi calling, I wouldn't be charged for calls/text/MMS made to or received from the U.S., correct? What about if I call/text a Canadian number while I'm in Canada?

• 2 weeks later...

2nd update: Based on what I am reading on Sprint's International Roaming page for Canada, CDMA roaming is no longer available. The only roaming networks that are listed now are:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-17%20at%202.47.0

How do I find this page?

Edit: Forget it. I found it.

• 4 weeks later...

A few months have passed so I thought I'd check in. She has come and gone to Canada several times without adding anything at all - SMS works fine for sending and receiving and she can receive calls with no charge. The last time she was there she needed to make calls and tacked up $27 of charges for that. She made it a point to turn off her data connection, but one time used about 200 KB which was about $1 and a change.

She just left to spend three whole weeks there, so she had me add data roaming. The Canada-Mexico data pack is $30 for 55MB ... Somewhat outrageous! Some website I checked said it would be 1x, but she says her iPhone 6 is stating 3G. In a screen shot she sent me it looks like it's roaming on Bell Canada in Montreal.

A few months have passed so I thought I'd check in. She has come and gone to Canada several times without adding anything at all - SMS works fine for sending and receiving and she can receive calls with no charge. The last time she was there she needed to make calls and tacked up $27 of charges for that. She made it a point to turn off her data connection, but one time used about 200 KB which was about $1 and a change.

She just left to spend three whole weeks there, so she had me add data roaming. The Canada-Mexico data pack is $30 for 55MB ... Somewhat outrageous! Some website I checked said it would be 1x, but she says her iPhone 6 is stating 3G. In a screen shot she sent me it looks like it's roaming on Bell Canada in Montreal.

1X is 3G, I'm not sure if the iPhone reports them differently. I know in lollipop, android stopped showing 1X separately.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1X is 3G, I'm not sure if the iPhone reports them differently. I know in lollipop, android stopped showing 1X separately.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The iPhone displays it as 1x, and EVDO as 3G.

-Anthony

• Like 1

I feel like MMS messages are weird, they use data but Sprint doesn't count them as data. But I have a friend on ting with data blocked and they can't send picture messages.

Does the iPhone 6 have WiFi calling?

I thought MMS was data useage too lol

Edited by htcguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the other day she told me her iPhone 6 randomly switched from saying "Bell" to "Rogers" and hasn't gone back. She is in Montreal. What could explain the switch? I thought Rogers was a GSM network.

As far as I know, Bell is only offering UMTS roaming for Sprint customers now, not CDMA.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

As of, like, two days ago?

I've never checked the eastern provinces, but Telus dropped CDMA roaming over the winter. I know Bell is shutting their CDMA network, and I'm thinking its this summer, but I don't remember exactly when.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Do the Canada Data packs get prorated when you cancel? She was only in Canada for 2 weeks of the cycle so I cancelled when she came home, but the bill doesn't seem to reflect that in the same way it normally does, anyway.

Do the Canada Data packs get prorated when you cancel? She was only in Canada for 2 weeks of the cycle so I cancelled when she came home, but the bill doesn't seem to reflect that in the same way it normally does, anyway.

No. I distinctly remember reading that international stuff doesn't get prorated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I distinctly remember reading that international stuff doesn't get prorated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm, whoops! Guess it was a mistake then to cancel and reapply based on travel dates [emoji15]