why does 3g seem to be stronger than B26

VZW is deploying on all the sites they have here in Southern Illinois, the problem is twofold:

1. They have too many customers.

2. That grid has to be densified to handle getting LTE signal everywhere as well as adding on capacity.

both for AWS and 700?

• Like 1

No XLTE here yet... Other places around me are adding it. No dice on Chester when we need it more than anywhere else around us for a 35 mile radius.

So I'm assuming you're in a pre-Alltel market? 

Sprint's nationwide network site spacing is setup for 1900MHz, if its properly configured it can match Verizon's Cellular 850 setup.

Why does everyone always say this? I know my area is an exception, but here Verizon had about 2x as many sites as Sprint (until we had 2 USCC conversions in the last month).  Regardless of where I am, if Sprint were set up for 1900 as well as Verizon is set up for 850, Sprint would have to have nearly twice as many sites as Verizon in any given area.  Sprint is nowhere near that. 

Alltel was divested here. Ended up going to ATN then AT&T.

Original carrier was Douglas Telecom DBA as Cellular One. VZW bought them at the turn of the century.

Ah ok. So AT&T and Verizon have both sides of cellular and PCS there.

Ah ok. So AT&T and Verizon have both sides of cellular and PCS there.

We have the same allocations in PCS as St. Louis. Cellular matches up too now that AT&T owns Cellular B. AT&T already had AWS A here.

Why does everyone always say this? I know my area is an exception, but here Verizon had about 2x as many sites as Sprint (until we had 2 USCC conversions in the last month). Regardless of where I am, if Sprint were set up for 1900 as well as Verizon is set up for 850, Sprint would have to have nearly twice as many sites as Verizon in any given area. Sprint is nowhere near that.

Yes. Some areas (including mine) have lackluster Sprint site spacing (for 1900 LTE anyway). But as far as I know these areas are exceptions, and hopefully Sprint densifies in these areas where it needs to.

Keeping and converting most/all of the Clearwire leases would do a lot to help.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just kinda wondering why sprints 3g which is 1900mhz, seems to penetrate and have a stronger signal then B26?

WIll sprint optimize b25 as well?  I notice that when I get LTE it is almost exclusively b25, but I lose the signal easily and the 3G hangs on a lot longer.

WIll sprint optimize b25 as well?  I notice that when I get LTE it is almost exclusively b25, but I lose the signal easily and the 3G hangs on a lot longer.

Over time yes, but chances are you will need Band 26 to fill in the gaps. That or more cell sites. When Band 26 will be able to deploy in Phoenix, I don't know.

What kind of equipment is used to optimize sites? Is it simply just a laptop running an application that connects to whichever site the tech wants? Maybe a web-based app with a login screen only for Sprint techs? 

I see "drive testing" get thrown around here a lot, so that prompted the question. 

Is it some crazy console with levers and knobs?  :D

What kind of equipment is used to optimize sites? Is it simply just a laptop running an application that connects to whichever site the tech wants? Maybe a web-based app with a login screen only for Sprint techs?

I see "drive testing" get thrown around here a lot, so that prompted the question.

Is it some crazy console with levers and knobs? :D

I imagine this is typically what it looks like when Ericsson attempts to optimize a site:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423797773.023724.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

It's more like a Windows app with all the settings. If you look hard enough you can find what it looks like on the Internets in WCDMA/LTE form. Don't think I've found one with CDMA, though.