Ford Sync

centermedic

Sync has worked fabulously in my 2013 Ford Fusion, 2014 Ford Explorer and 2009 Ford Expedition. You would be surprised how much S4GRU business is conducted using it.

EDIT:  Just so you all know, other than the Expedition, these were all work cars.  I do not buy brand new cars for myself.  I drive a 2002 Isuzu Trooper and 2006 Volvo XC90.

• Like 7

We have had two Ford vehicles withSync with MyFord Touch and both have worked perfectly not one issue. Our 2013 Flex SEL crashed twice and rebooted. Now Our 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium has never had any issues or crashed in the five months tht we have owned it. It is sad that Ford is no longer going to support the existing systems with their next update. In my opinoin I like the layout of the current MyFord Touch system. 

• Like 1

No issues with Sync on my 2010 Mercury Mariner. Bluetooth works great but I wish it would show the actual song name/artist like it does when I hook it to USB. It does feel a bit out of date but it was built almost 5 years ago lol. Also my Sirius XM radio has been working without a subscription since I bought the car 4 months ago [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

After having close relatives have me work on and explain a flex, f150 and explorer I have refused to go near anything Ford (along with anything by Nissan that isn't a car). They've made some awesome vehicles over the years but the ecotec seems have have issues with oil coming through the pcv (no catch tank and the inlet jets direct above the port get clogged to hell and back) and sync seems to have a rather demented mind of its own (although I am prepared to put it down to the heat and dust). I would have much rather seen Ford take the route Mazda did with engines than the small turbo route, it plays on Fords strengths and avoid their weaknesses. Hopefully that will be fixed in the near future if it isn't already but it was a short ride from the Ford dealers to the Honda dealers.

The market for cars these days is awesome, a hell of a lot of good choices so even minor stuff (or major in the case of the engines) just results in a shrug and walk to the next dealer. I would love to see Ford do well but we are looking for a SUV and its down to a Subaru, Mazda, Honda, and a Toyota, sad not to see Ford on that list :(   

No Chevy, GMC, or Jeep?

No :) Although we may wait a year and see how the Colorado does and get that instead of an SUV. I realize folks get very attached to certain brands but please remember I live on a rock in the middle of the pacific, we can't go to any other dealer than the one we get, so if a marque has an expensive or disreputable dealer it basically rules them out altogether, even if we ship it in from another island for the initial purchase. Test drives, reliability and drive ability played a huge part. The subaru and mazda only just made the list and on the safety side I'm not sure about the toyota, going to see if the next MY does any better in the crash tests. I could understand if the Honda was 5k more expensive but the price is basically the same between them all so no harm in going for one that tops basically all the charts besides fuel economy (and a new cvt may be coming to fix that, and screw up the reliability lol).

I grew up with Fords, suffered all the jokes, grew up thinking the RAC (British AAA) were a vacation tour company the number of times they brought us home, but I do love them. I just can't afford to keep one moving these days. I admit 4 vehicles is a small sample size, but all of them weren't just minor nightmares, they were full on sheet soakers. We do have a rather special climate out here, but some vehicles cope, some don't. If I went with my heart it would be a range rover, but I can't afford a 2nd one for the 50% of the time the first one is broken. Some of the new Jeeps look pretty darn nice though! 

• Like 2

Oh okay, yeah that makes sense. I know what you mean about some dealers being bad, we have our fair share of those here. Thankfully there's competition nearby so we're not stuck with one bad dealer.

I have a 2008 Colorado with the 2.9L engine and love it. Can seem a bit underpowered at times, but that doesn't matter if you time things right. Fuel economy is pretty good (for a truck). Filled it up yesterday: it had an eighth of a tank, costed $35 to fill up. I can go about a week on one tank. Not sure how expensive gas is in Hawaii, but prices have gone down in the continental US.

The new Jeeps look nice. Whether you like the rugged Wrangler or refined Cherokee, they have some good choices these days.

• Like 1

Costco has just dipped under 3 bucks a gallon. Gas on account from the local merchant is about 3.25 currently, retail gas is about 3.90 to 4.10 at normal stations. Extreme rural stations, the small islands and harbors is probably in the 5 bucks a gallon range. Our local refinery is setup to only take sweet crude so or oil market is a little different to the mainland,  we are still fighting with the demands from Japan for sweet crude for their oil power plants after they shut their nuclear stations down. 

Having a bike as a 2nd vehicles means our gas is pretty decent, it only drinks about $20-$30 a month, does about 60mpg. Time on the farm and cane roads is taking its toll on the mpg though! Amazing fun to be had chasing a truck on the cane roads. The car is doing pretty well on the farm but we really need the extra ground clearance. The new colarado looks pretty much in line with what we would want from a truck, but we can get pretty much the same from a CRV with the potential for better fuel economy and lower maintenance costs. That and the Honda dealer is vaguely human and I like wrenching on them. Doesn't hurt they are reliable and safe either. 

Ford made some astoundingly good normally aspirated engines, my experience was their turbos were less reliable. Ford also managed to do cheap fairly well as long as you stayed away from anything 'fancy'. When I look now I see price parity with Honda et al and cars that are increasingly complicated. Mazda are doing some great things with high compression normally aspirated engines that run on normal gas, they reckon by 2020 they will have sparkless gasoline engines running diesel level compression and much higher efficency than current engines. Basically taking the knocking effect and controlling it to detonate on demand. Pretty interesting and fairly basic to implement, rather than a relatively complicated turbo. Mazda do have to prove the engines will last though. At least we are seeing a massive improvement in gas mileage. Thanks for the comments on the colorado, will give the first model year a chance to iron out the bugs and see how it does. 

• Like 1

Sync is awful. I used to own a Fusion...what a mess that was. Crappy car with transmission issues, then sync was just terrible. I now drive a Toyota...not one single issue [emoji106]

Funny you should mention a fusion with a broken transmission and crappy sync, we had one of those. What model year was yours? Ours was a 2010. Never was more excited for a lease to be up then with that car, by the end it was leaking oil, the transmission was failing again after its 2nd rebuild and the A/C had gone out. Only had 46,000 miles.

Will probably never buy an American sedan again, and especially not a Ford after the customer service hell I've been put through. Despite it all I do like to keep an open mind and am very intrigued by the 2015 Mustang and F150 (though nothing with an Ecoboost engine, that's another can of worms in its own!)

Funny you should mention a fusion with a broken transmission and crappy sync, we had one of those. What model year was yours? Ours was a 2010. Never was more excited for a lease to be up then with that car, by the end it was leaking oil, the transmission was failing again after its 2nd rebuild and the A/C had gone out. Only had 46,000 miles.

Will probably never buy an American sedan again, and especially not a Ford after the customer service hell I've been put through. Despite it all I do like to keep an open mind and am very intrigued by the 2015 Mustang and F150 (though nothing with an Ecoboost engine, that's another can of worms in its own!)

Mine was a 2011. We had total failure of 2-6 gears under 10k miles. Then again it started slipping around 30k. The electronic throttle body died twice. Fuel pump stopped working. The alloy wheels rusted to the point that they wouldn't hold air (cheap chinese crap?). Battery stopped holding a charge when the car was 2 years old. So I'm done with Ford. I was a life long Ford fan, and had only driven Ford's up until that point.

On the flip side, my wife drives a 2010 Honda Odyssey. She is a stay at home mom, so doesn't commute in it, so it only has around 45k miles right now. But we literally have not done one thing other than fluid changes in it, and a new set of tires. It doesn't have bluetooth built in, but when I owned my Ford, I could barely use it anyways, so it didn't seem to matter much...lol

Everybody has there issues. Even some of the Japanese makes have suffered some epic reliability fails in recent years. My advice, do not buy a first year model and use a service more reliable than consumer reports to check on reliability rankings. Almost as important is buying your car from a good dealer. Most car manufacturers have some type of five star rating. I would seek out those dealers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Costco has just dipped under 3 bucks a gallon. Gas on account from the local merchant is about 3.25 currently, retail gas is about 3.90 to 4.10 at normal stations. Extreme rural stations, the small islands and harbors is probably in the 5 bucks a gallon range. Our local refinery is setup to only take sweet crude so or oil market is a little different to the mainland,  we are still fighting with the demands from Japan for sweet crude for their oil power plants after they shut their nuclear stations down. 

Having a bike as a 2nd vehicles means our gas is pretty decent, it only drinks about $20-$30 a month, does about 60mpg. Time on the farm and cane roads is taking its toll on the mpg though! Amazing fun to be had chasing a truck on the cane roads. The car is doing pretty well on the farm but we really need the extra ground clearance. The new colarado looks pretty much in line with what we would want from a truck, but we can get pretty much the same from a CRV with the potential for better fuel economy and lower maintenance costs. That and the Honda dealer is vaguely human and I like wrenching on them. Doesn't hurt they are reliable and safe either. 

Ford made some astoundingly good normally aspirated engines, my experience was their turbos were less reliable. Ford also managed to do cheap fairly well as long as you stayed away from anything 'fancy'. When I look now I see price parity with Honda et al and cars that are increasingly complicated. Mazda are doing some great things with high compression normally aspirated engines that run on normal gas, they reckon by 2020 they will have sparkless gasoline engines running diesel level compression and much higher efficency than current engines. Basically taking the knocking effect and controlling it to detonate on demand. Pretty interesting and fairly basic to implement, rather than a relatively complicated turbo. Mazda do have to prove the engines will last though. At least we are seeing a massive improvement in gas mileage. Thanks for the comments on the colorado, will give the first model year a chance to iron out the bugs and see how it does. 

GAs in Central Illinois is almost under 2 dollars for a gallon. 

There are a few stations in the NW suburbs of Chicago almost below 2. I can't see it breaking that level through the state unless oil gets below $50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, around the populated parts of the city, gas is about $1.86. New Mexico had its pros!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk