WIN A 2014 MOTO X2!!! Motorola X2 Activation Help-Fund-Us Contest

S4GRU

After the winner is determined, I don't think it'll be a bad idea Robert if you kept it for a week or two to test and also to validate the device on Sprint.  I'm sure the winner wouldn't mind waiting an extra week or two.

After the winner is determined, I don't think it'll be a bad idea Robert if you kept it for a week or two to test and also to validate the device on Sprint.  I'm sure the winner wouldn't mind waiting an extra week or two.

Here are the rough timelines.  I should receive it around December 18th.  I have one or two days of testing.  I will overnight it to a S4GRU Staffer who will be handling it for a few days.  We may or may not then have need for another S4GRU Staffer to do some things with the device.  I think in the best case scenario, we would be shipping it to the contest winner the first week in January.  It could be a week or so after that.

We will be closing the contest today.  I will then announce a time for the drawing, which will be conducted via Live Chat in the S4GRU Lounge.  It will likely be Thursday evening.  So there will be quite a bit of time from when the winner is announced until the winner receives the device.

Thank you all who have participated.  I'm excited that the community rose to the challenge to fund this.  If this is successful, we may consider other Help Fund Us Projects in the future.   :tu:

Robert

• Like 7

Since Sprint doesn't offer this device or have the IMEI in the whitelist, what is the attempted work around going to be to get it activated?  Are you working with an inside source or is the goal to be an above the board process that Joe Schmo can do with asking the right people?

Since Sprint doesn't offer this device or have the IMEI in the whitelist, what is the attempted work around going to be to get it activated?  Are you working with an inside source or is the goal to be an above the board process that Joe Schmo can do with asking the right people?

Sprint does not offer the 2014 Moto X.  But Sprint was supposed to carry it.  So, there is no guarantee that it is not already in the IMEI database.  That is one of many avenues we will pursue.

AJ

• Like 1

There have been some limited recent successful attempts at getting devices whitelisted.  We are going to try many avenues to see if any route is successful.

• Like 1

CONTEST CLOSED!

We have 23 contest entrants, and two staff donations.  Of course, staff members are ineligible to win.  We are fully funded.  Device is ordered.  Any donations from here forward will not be considered for this contest.

Stay tuned to this thread for updates about tomorrow's drawing and testing over the next few weeks, etc.

• Like 4

Awesome that this is happening!

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Unfortunately, I could not contribute on short notice, but I look forward to participating in projects like this in the future.

And if y'all are successful, I may end up buying a Moto X myself when I can afford one!

• Like 4

There have been some limited recent successful attempts at getting devices whitelisted.  We are going to try many avenues to see if any route is successful.

I would also be curious if unlocked international iphones would work on Sprint

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-Plus-Space-Unlocked/dp/B00NQGOODE/

maybe contest part 2 :)

• Like 1

S4GRU is aflutter with anticipation...

abc_12_powerball_lottery_nt_121128_ssv.j

AJ

• Like 4

I would also be curious if unlocked international iphones would work on Sprint

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-Plus-Space-Unlocked/dp/B00NQGOODE/

maybe contest part 2 :)

Do you think that Sprint should just throw the doors wide open, putting the responsibility upon the end users by allowing any and all bring your own devices -- even those that may be greatly compromised in Sprint centric CDMA2000 band class or LTE band capabilities?

AJ

Do you think that Sprint should just throw the doors wide open, putting the responsibility upon the end users by allowing any and all bring your own devices -- even those that may be greatly compromised in Sprint centric CDMA2000 band class or LTE band capabilities?

AJ

My thought is that if a device is clean (not stolen, etc) and supports all the Sprint's bands, why not?  If a user has an older device that doesn't support the current communication bands, then don't allow it.

Shouldn't Sprint be able to get a list of IMEI's from the manufactures of devices that support the two CDMA2000 and three LTE bands (well 5 or 6 if you include CCA)?

• Like 1

AJ

I would greatly enjoy that freedom, but as far as general practice, how much would Sprint benefit? Sure a relatively small portion of their client base would be knowledgeable enough (or at least have access to a knowledge base like this great forum) to know what they might be getting into and which phones would be compatible and to what extents. But how many complaints might they then have to deal with from individuals who activated phones not fully compatible without doing the proper fact checking beforehand? Seems like they might be in danger of getting some bad customer service rep from that type of scenario...

For myself though...I'd be ecstatic to see that come down the pipe.

• Like 1

AJ

Like the rest of the world? Absolutely!

At this point, major handset manufacturers should just be selling one North American device anyhow.

There is no reason why Apple makes a Sprint/International iphone and a AT&T/VZN/T-Mobile iPhone but it is fair to guess that Sprint wanted to make sure that AT&T/VZN/T-Mobile customers couldn't bring their handsets to Sprint (which is ridiculous).

Sure, there is some education involved, but people should know when they buy a phone what carrier it works with.  Like Apple now selling iPads with universal sims - it's already happening.

Like the rest of the world? Absolutely!

The rest of the world is 3GPP fantasyland.

AJ

We are going to do the drawing at 6:30 PM Pacific/9:30 PM Eastern tonight. Join us in The Lounge tonight, and we will draw the winning number. Odds are good for any of our contestants. Good luck!

7:30 PM Mountain/8:30 PM Central/10:30 PM Atlantic/11:00 PM Newfoundland

• Like 3

10:30 PM Atlantic/11:00 PM Newfoundland

How many S4GRU members live in the Atlantic or Newfoundland time zone???

Of course I would be thrilled to have my current location be in the Atlantic time zone. No more dark before 5pm in the winter and no more light in the sky at 5 am in the summer.

• Like 1

The rest of the world is 3GPP fantasyland.

AJ

And in the rest of the USA.

Go to the apple store, buy a full price AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile iPhone, and stick any sim in, and you are up and running on every carrier except sprint.

Verizon won't activate a new sim on a non-verizon phone but an activated verizon sim will work fine on unlocked devices.

How many S4GRU members live in the Atlantic or Newfoundland time zone???

Of course I would be thrilled to have my current location be in the Atlantic time zone. No more dark before 5pm in the winter and no more light in the sky at 5 am in the summer.

Newfoundland, not so many.  I like to add that one because they are only a half hour later than the Atlantic Time Zone.  Looks funny to me.  Newfies do everything half assed.  :lol:

But Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands are in the Atlantic Time Zone.  And there are quite a few members in both those locales.

Newfoundland, not so many.  I like to add that one because they are only a half hour later than the Atlantic Time Zone.  Looks funny to me.  Newfies do everything half assed.  :lol: 

But Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands are in the Atlantic Time Zone.  And there are quite a few members in both those locales.

Ah! I learned something today.

We are going to do the drawing at 6:30 PM Pacific/9:30 PM Eastern tonight. Join us in The Lounge tonight, and we will draw the winning number. Odds are good for any of our contestants. Good luck!

What about GMT?  Doesn't everybody live on Zulu time?

Also, i feel that our Hawaiian members are being shown a disservice as Sprint offers native service there.  HAST should also be included!!!

:):):)

• Like 2

May the odds be EVER in your favor!
  • Like 1

What about GMT?  Doesn't everybody live on Zulu time?

Also, i feel that our Hawaiian members are being shown a disservice as Sprint offers native service there.  HAST should also be included!!!

:):) :)

I considered putting down Hawaii.  But I couldn't remember if HST was two hours or three hours earlier than PST.  And I didn't want to go through the trouble of looking.  I believe AST is one hour earlier than PST and HST is two hours.

• Like 1

I considered putting down Hawaii. But I couldn't remember if HST was two hours or three hours earlier than PST. And I didn't want to go through the trouble of looking. I believe AST is one hour earlier than PST and HST is two hours.

Two hours for PST, 3 hours for PDT. We don't have daylight savings time here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 3