What's the reach of the 1900mhz broadcast?

You might benefit from an amplifier at that kind of range (just on the edges of reception)? The cradle types from wilson can be had for 100-150 depending on how much amazon thinks you want one. You might get more use from a whole house setup and an antenna on the roof though. Do be careful to check what bands the amplifier supports!

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of Wilson Electronics. I looked at their website and they have some cool stuff.

Many of the towers transmit the coordinates of a point in the coverage area of the sector.

Why would they only transmit a point in the coverage area? To hide the tower?

Why would they only transmit a point in the coverage area? To hide the tower?

I believe it has to do with 911 location requirements. Or at least, a remnant of those requirements. You're more likely to be closer to that point in the coverage area of that sector than at the tower itself. Each site broadcast three points, one for each sector. If you locate each point, the tower will be somewhere in the middle of the triangle they form.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Oh okay that's cool. This makes me want to do some driving around to figure out where the towers are in my area.

We have some awesome maps in the sponsor area. Just saying.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Oh okay that's cool. This makes me want to do some driving around to figure out where the towers are in my area.

Yeah SignalCheck has a side effect, it turns normal people into wireless nerds, that coupled with S4GRU and your on a straight path to wireless signal and site hunting addiction, you've been forewarned!    :)

Become a sponsor or premier sponsor and this site becomes a HUGE wealth of information not to mention a kick-ass community.

Happy hunting and welcome to S4GRU!

:welc:

• Like 4

We have some awesome maps in the sponsor area. Just saying.

Yeah, I may just become a sponsor. This site is really cool.

Yeah SignalCheck has a side effect, it turns normal people into wireless nerds, that coupled with S4GRU and your on a straight path to wireless signal and site hunting addiction, you've been forewarned!    :)

I think it's a healthy addiction..lol.. I'm looking to get my own amp and antenna and make my house a strong area for Sprint coverage.

Thanks for the welcome, I've enjoyed reading everything this site has to offer.

• Like 2

Right now I have a Moto X, but I may go back to the Q10. I do pick up eHRPD at my house. What frequency is that on? I'm thinking Sprint's 800ish mhz LTE band might. Not sure about 1900 though..

Thanks

Wow you really like single band phones huh? [emoji6]
  • Like 2

Wow you really like single band phones huh? emoji6.png

They're the only game in town.. BlackBerry 10 is my favorite platform and Sprint didn't release the new Moto X. I'm waiting for BB to release the Classic on Sprint, in which case it would probably be tri-band. I wish the Q10 was tri-band.. or even dual band (B26 support)..

I could go to HTC, LG, or Nexus.. but I like BlackBerry too much. ;)

But can you see the antennas? There's a difference between seeing the tower and seeing the antennas.

Actually, I don't think I have line of sight with the antennas. After looking more closely at the map of my tower, I realize I mistook an adjacent tower for my Sprint tower. The actual Sprint tower is a flagpole setup. It's shorter than the other tower and I don't think I could see it even if I got up on my roof with binoculars. But I'll check once I get a clear day.

Even without LOS, I think if I got a directional antenna, I wouldn't have any problems with picking up B25/B26.

Actually, I don't think I have line of sight with the antennas. After looking more closely at the map of my tower, I realize I mistook an adjacent tower for my Sprint tower. The actual Sprint tower is a flagpole setup. It's shorter than the other tower and I don't think I could see it even if I got up on my roof with binoculars. But I'll check once I get a clear day.

Even without LOS, I think if I got a directional antenna, I wouldn't have any problems with picking up B25/B26.

Are you trying to use sprint LTE as a home ISp?

Sent from my iPhone 6 64GB using Tapatalk

Does Band 41 TD-LTE rollout do anything to improve, or decrease the reach of Band 25 LTE? Does/would Band 41 help with the data speeds of Band 25? Also, does Band 41 have the same reach as Band 25?

• Like 1

Does Band 41 TD-LTE rollout do anything to improve, or decrease the reach of Band 25 LTE? Does/would Band 41 help with the data speeds of Band 25? Also, does Band 41 have the same reach as Band 25?

For the most part band 41 won't help with the 'reach' of band 25. But since it can help alleviate traffic on band 25 it can definitely help with data speeds of congested band 25 sites.
  • Like 1

Band 41 will not have the same reach as Band 25. Due to the higher frequency, it just isn't usable as far from the site as Band 25. That being said, the new 8T8R antennas being deployed have improved on the coverage quite a bit over the old Clear equipment. Some members are reporting coverage near that of Band 25. 

Band 41 deployment will do nothing to change the coverage of Band 25. However, it will help to alleviate some of the stress on Band 25, so speeds may increase to some degree. The more Tri-Band (Spark) devices there are in the area, the larger the impact will be on Band 25 speeds. 

• Like 1

When Band 26 is deployed, it seems like you'll still get at least a marginal fringe signal, which can still be usable even if you don't have direct line of sight. 

Also, thanks for becoming a sponsor! Lots of good information at your fingertips! :tu:

• Like 3

Are you trying to use sprint LTE as a home ISp?

No, right now I'm running my home's internet off of Verizon's 3G network (haven't ponied up the money to get a new 4G adapter). My download speed is about 100-250 KBps. I'm on their old unlimited plan. Sprint's plans don't compare, unfortunately, for their Netgear router they offer. Otherwise, I would consider switching my home ISP to Sprint.

When Band 26 is deployed, it seems like you'll still get at least a marginal fringe signal, which can still be usable even if you don't have direct line of sight. 

Also, thanks for becoming a sponsor! Lots of good information at your fingertips! :tu:

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting, as my 800mhz voice connection is pretty good. And even my eHRPD signal on the 1900mhz is good too, so I'm hoping my B25 LTE signal is good, too.

And yes, those maps in the sponsor area are very helpful.. I'm going out today to do some tower-spotting. :)

• Like 1

A couple of days ago, I mentioned getting LTE signals standing outside on my driveway, or standing on the street by my car along the curbside. Well earlier tonight, I picked up signals getting out of my car, walked past my driveway, and about 3 feet or so before opening the house door to go inside, it switched back to 3G quickly. Below is what I picked up. I was also surprised how early in the evening it was to.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dcl22io97vmrc0d/AAA3ymrXkvgHNnecVgZVg1Yma?dl=0

• Like 1

A couple of days ago, I mentioned getting LTE signals standing outside on my driveway, or standing on the street by my car along the curbside. Well earlier tonight, I picked up signals getting out of my car, walked past my driveway, and about 3 feet or so before opening the house door to go inside, it switched back to 3G quickly. Below is what I picked up. I was also surprised how early in the evening it was to.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dcl22io97vmrc0d/AAA3ymrXkvgHNnecVgZVg1Yma?dl=0

Walking into most structures will drop your signal by 10dB, or more, so it's no surprise that you drop LTE when you get inside. -120dBm is basically the limit to what is usable for Band 25. 

• Like 1

Walking into most structures will drop your signal by 10dB, or more, so it's no surprise that you drop LTE when you get inside. -120dBm is basically the limit to what is usable for Band 25.

That's why I like B41, right now in my house I am at 113dBm and speeds are really good, even in some spots where the dBm is 120+ it's great.
  • Like 2

Yeah, I agree. The same thing happens to me. When I get to work, I'll get B25 outside but then it will drop to 3G unless I put my phone by the window. There is a tower less than a block away from work; so, I get perfect voice and 3G. I'm just waiting for them to deploy B25, etc. there.