HTC EVO 4G LTE

P_M_G

As pointed out above by our astute members, the sitting on customs for a month comment from Reuters doesn't pass the smell test. They couldn't be held prior to April 19th. So we know if anything was held, it was after that.

Also, if anything started to be held in April, it most likely was the One X. I don't think that significant EVO LTE shipments started showing up that early. The EVO wasn't even cleared from the lab until the end of April.

Most likely customs issues were already starting to occur as EVO LTEs started to arrive state side the first week of May or so. But I don't go along with the assumption that EVOs have been sitting in warehouses stateside since Mid April based on the quotes.

What may be a fair deduction is that Sprint knew about issues in customs that ATT was having with the One X some time after April 19th. But we shouldn't conclude at this point that the EVO has been held that long based on the quotes released thus far.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I've been called many things' date=' but astute? I thought you guys kept it classy around here.[/quote']

I wish someone would call me astute. In the past 24 hours I have been called a hack, a fraud, a liar, publicity seeker, a fool, a pot stirrer...etc. All for sticking my neck out there and report something that was so bold in the face of all conventional wisdom.

If Engadget reported the same thing S4GRU did, most people would assume its true. No respect for the little guys.

People don't get that we are not a commercial site. We don't make money. More hits to our pages doesn't make us more money. In fact, it just drives up our costs. We have no incentive to make up stories to try to draw more traffic.

Also, the people who do donate to help pay our expenses largely do because the quality of the information they receive. So what little revenue stream we have in donations would stop if we started posting bogus stories to try to drive traffic.

Unfortunately, even being proven right will not be enough for the naysayers out there. They aren't looking for reliable and advanced information. They are trolling for the next opportunity to bash someone. Its kind of pathetic.

• Like 5

Those who ordered through WF stated their order was pushed back 2-3 weeks on 5/11.

There didn't seem to be any pattern to who got the 2-3 week message and who didn't. In hindsight though, I think Wirefly knew about it and starting giving everyone the 2-3 week ETA. People didn't seem to realize that Wirefly aka Simplexity is fairly large and they provide services to Radio Shack, Target, Best Buy, etc. They all assumed that Wirefly was the small guy and all allocations of the phone were going to Sprint preorders only.

I noticed that rough treatment and thought it was great when other reports started coming out to support your original post. Unfortunately, that type of behavior seems to be stats quo on the inter webs.

• Like 1

I wish someone would call me astute. In the past 24 hours I have been called a hack, a fraud, a liar, publicity seeker, a fool, a pot stirrer...etc. All for sticking my neck out there and report something that was so bold in the face of all conventional wisdom.

If Engadget reported the same thing S4GRU did, most people would assume its true. No respect for the little guys.

People don't get that we are not a commercial site. We don't make money. More hits to our pages doesn't make us more money. In fact, it just drives up our costs. We have no incentive to make up stories to try to draw more traffic.

Also, the people who do donate to help pay our expenses largely do because the quality of the information they receive. So what little revenue stream we have in donations would stop if we started posting bogus stories to try to drive traffic.

Unfortunately, even being proven right will not be enough for the naysayers out there. They aren't looking for reliable and advanced information. They are trolling for the next opportunity to bash someone. Its kind of pathetic.

For better (or worse) most people don't know who you are, and (for worse) people don't take the time to look through all of the info you have put together. Some guy just takes a quick look at the headline and says "I've never heard of S4GRU.com, therefore it must be wrong" - which is disrespectful and an ignorant thing to do (but hey, this is the internet).

In many ways, it's a blessing and a curse I suppose. Just remember that there are a lot of people who definitely appreciate and respect all of the hard work you do put into this site. It's amazing to see that this community has grown so much yet has, for the most part, avoided the downfalls that we've seen with other sprint-related forums. A large part of that is a direct result of how much patience you have with newbies coming into s4gru.com (where they complain about things nobody on this site has any control over).

In regards to the HTC patent case. I am assuming they thought all was well as a result of the work-around. I don't see how Sprint could have known that customs was going to hold back the shipment. Either way, hopefully this gets resolved soon. I am sure this is a huge setback for management at Sprint.

• Like 3

In regards to the HTC patent case. I am assuming they thought all was well as a result of the work-around. I don't see how Sprint could have known that customs was going to hold back the shipment. Either way, hopefully this gets resolved soon. I am sure this is a huge setback for management at Sprint.

Someone at HTC definitely dropped the ball somewhere. When you are talking about millions of dollars of inventory getting shipped you need to damn make sure there aren't any reasons why they won't make it to their final destinations. Personally, I don't blame sprint at all but since I am sure they already took in million of dollars of pre-order money they do need to come out and let everyone know in detail as to whats going on and not put it on the shoulders of HTC.

I wrote in an earlier post.

"The good news is we have 2 million phones on order. The bad news is we have 500,000 phones on the boat. Or at Customs. Or stuck in traffic. Or the software has a glich. Its a daunting task to get it right. I bet there are some poor blokes scrambling to keep you in the latest technology. Try to keep in mind the network is not rockin yet.

And who knows maybe its a bad rumor."

So I was wrong.... It was not a bad rumor! My apologies Robert.

I do think Sprint management showed poor judgement anticipating a release date from Customs.

Who has not been burned relying on a delivery date of a product . When it is in your hand then commit. There are to many things that can go wrong.

Sprint rolled the dice that container would clear. It didn't.

Had the news agencies not picked this up Sprint management would have rolled for double or nothing. Their hand was forced to spin the story this morning.

This is Hard Ball. Big dollars.

Wouldn't you think one of the "Big Boy" sites with access to their preview units would do some checking to see if it appears that the "647" patent was infringed?

Someone at HTC definitely dropped the ball somewhere. When you are talking about millions of dollars of inventory getting shipped you need to damn make sure there aren't any reasons why they won't make it to their final destinations. Personally, I don't blame sprint at all but since I am sure they already took in million of dollars of pre-order money they do need to come out and let everyone know in detail as to whats going on and not put it on the shoulders of HTC.

I've worked with a few importers many years ago in a different life. I've heard horror stories about what customs can do (basically anything they want). I don't know how well versed HTC is when it comes to customs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they thought all was well. As a result, probably communicated to Sprint all was well, and Sprint communicated to customers "hey, all is well, we are launching May 18th".

I am sure companies like Samsung and Apple have entire divisions for this sort of event... but HTC is much smaller.

If I was a betting person... I bet HTC establishes some sort of "customs mitigation plan" and will be more aware with how to comply with various patent rulings moving forward.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/89947

HTC shared this statement regarding the HTC EVO 4G LTE:

“The US availability of HTC One X and HTC EVO 4G LTE has been delayed due to a standard U.S. Customs review of shipments that is required after an ITC exclusion order. We believe we are in compliance with the ruling and HTC is working closely with Customs to secure approval. HTC One X and HTC EVO 4G LTE have both received enthusiastic support and we appreciate customers patience as we work to get these products into their hands as soon as possible.”

Here's Information from Sprint:

• HTC EVO 4G LTE availability

The U.S. availability of the HTC EVO 4G LTE has been delayed. HTC is working to resolve this issue and appreciates your patience as they work to get products into Sprint channels. We can’t provide specific timing for product availability at this time and we appreciate your patience as HTC works to get products on store shelves as soon as possible.

• Pre-order status/availability

Delivery of products for pre-order are on hold and Sprint will provide a ship date as soon as possible. Sprint will maintain the promise for the preorder customers that they will be among the first to receive their HTC EVO 4G LTE units.

Wouldn't you think one of the "Big Boy" sites with access to their preview units would do some checking to see if it appears that the "647" patent was infringed?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that someone had tested an AT&T One X and it doesn't infringe the patent (it would infringe if and only if you get a context menu when you tap on a phone number or email address, but dumping you straight into an app like the dialer or Gmail isn't covered by the 647 patent). Since the Evo runs the same software, it shouldn't either.

So literally all CBP (or ICE - I'm not sure who has jurisdiction over these things) has to do is take one of each out of the box, boot it up, see if it infringes, find out it doesn't, and release the shipments. But it's the government we're talking about... so that'll take at least 24-48 hours and a team of HTC lawyers to make happen, and there'll be a team of Apple lawyers there trying to make sure this gets slowed to the hilt.

I can't wait for the fire storm that will occur when at least half of the pre-orders don't get delivered until at least next week. Good luck to those who pre ordered.

I hope I didn't jinx this whole thing with my post from yesterday morning, LOL. I knew something was gonna go down but not on this level but this is the exact reason why I usually don't pre-order anything.

I'm surprised those jerk@sses from Apple haven't tried to patent the word "phone" or the "touch keypad" .... or have they?

I'm surprised those jerk@sses from Apple haven't tried to patent the word "phone" or the "touch keypad" .... or have they?

Apple has patented many things, and so have the other cell manufacturers. Didn't Motorola just win a lawsuit against Apple recently?

Apple has patented many things, and so have the other cell manufacturers. Didn't Motorola just win a lawsuit against Apple recently?

But it's Apple that has received the patent to many, many things it did not invent nor innovate. They don't use patents to protect their property, they use it to harass and intimidate their competition. I can't wait until Google beats them at their own game, just like they're doing to Microsoft.

I know this is the HTC thread but I just read that Motorola is now facing a ban due to Microsoft patent complaints. I guess this is the new way of doing business now.

Sent from the Negative Zone using the Ultimate Nullifier

As much as you all blame Apple you should really blame the US Federal Government since its their patent laws.

Agree, the problem is that the US gov has allowed this by how the laws are written. If all laws were straight forward and had no loop holes issues would be minimal.

The episode of Star Trek: The Original Series "Return of the Archons" reminds me of the current situation with Customs and the Apple patent fight. Check out from the 40:15 time mark to the 47:15 mark (the climax of the episode), just subsistute Apple for Body, and Steve Jobs (or his successor) for Landru. Pay attention at the 46:00 mark for the remark regarding creativity--sounds like the gist of the patent fights right there. And Red Hour, doesn't it sound like an iPhone product release?

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episode/gyaKakUgWb3WF8lBotoU7H0JsI_YIfA1

Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Android

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-15400984

hopefully crApple can someday compete with innovation instead of legal litigation. They have some nice phones, but it is unfortunate they cannot compete based on technology alone and have to rely on their legal team to be competitive.

Our friend AJ sent this to me today as I had been asking him about SVDO as some had mentioned it would only work after NV was deployed and over 1x advanced...

here is what he said:

...I asked Brian Klug at AnandTech if the production model EVO 4G LTE supports SVDO. He confirmed that it does. So, the FCC OET certification docs are correct. The info and rumors to the contrary are wrong. Furthermore, Brian is in the Tucson/Yuma market, which has no Network Vision deployment yet. So, bar none, SVDO is fully functional with Sprint's legacy CDMA1X 1900 + EV-DO 1900 network. Brian even supplied a YouTube video....

• Like 12