LG G Flex 2 [FCC ID ZNFLS996]

NateC

So..... This phone doesn't like heat..... At all.... We took a road trip today and I had my phone in my car holder and it was running maps for navigation, spotify, torque, and signal check pro. It was also in the sun since we were traveling south. It was lagging like crazy! Switching between apps was laggy and trying to do airplane mode in signal check would take forever and most of the time not even work..... So hopefully there is something they can do with the software to help it out because it's not looking good....

• Like 1

Start the chant...

OVER-HEATED!  Clap, clap...clap, clap, clap.  OVER-HEATED!  Clap, clap...clap, clap, clap.

AJ

• Like 2

So..... This phone doesn't like heat..... At all.... We took a road trip today and I had my phone in my car holder and it was running maps for navigation, spotify, torque, and signal check pro. It was also in the sun since we were traveling south. It was lagging like crazy! Switching between apps was laggy and trying to do airplane mode in signal check would take forever and most of the time not even work..... So hopefully there is something they can do with the software to help it out because it's not looking good....

If collaborated, us power users will need to wait longer.  Of course my G2 does the same thing when I run a few similar apps unless a/c is directed at it during the summer months.

Ok so I did some searching last night and while there are not a lot of user reports yet there was a mixed bag of comments. Some people claimed to have no issues at all. Others had experiences close to mine. A couple people mentioned returning theirs and getting a new one that performed better, and some others said doing a factory reset helped theirs.

Since I can't return mine right now I opted for a factory reset. I ran through and reset and wiped cache several times last night and then restored all my data. The phone was very hot from doing all this but after doing some tests switching apps and stuff that was extremely laggy yesterday, worked much better after the reset.

Every once in a while there was a small delay in an app opening but not near as bad as yesterday. I'll keep and eye on it throughout the day today and report back later if it's still working better.

Depending on how the rest of the week goes I may or may not go ahead and return it next week in case I got a bad one.

I'm not sure if I can swap back to my old phone to reset my yearly upgrade since I had to turn it back in and it's probably long gone, to wait for a different phone, or if I'm stuck with this one for the next year....

I'm not sure if I can swap back to my old phone to reset my yearly upgrade since I had to turn it back in and it's probably long gone, to wait for a different phone, or if I'm stuck with this one for the next year....

One of the reasons I will never do an in-store trade in again.

Ok so for those of you still following this..... Lag issues today appeared to be fixed. Every once in awhile a little noticable lag but much improved from the other day.

I did have one weird scenario happen. I took my phone out to take a picture, opened the camera app, had to position my kid, and when I looked back down the screen was off. Tried to unlock it and nothing, wouldn't come back on. Holding the power button for 10+ seconds did nothing to reset the phone. I had just checked the battery level and had 91st least 40% left when this happened. We got our to the car and I plugged it into the car charger and the screen came on saying it was charging and I had 44% battery. I then turned the phone on and everything appeared to be fine. It did download the Sprint stuff again, like it thought it was turning on for the first time but all my stuff was still there. I went ahead and did another factory reset just in case. So not sure what that was about....

So besides the hopefully fixed lag issue I'm definitely having heat issues. Doing the simplest thing like browsing the internet in chrome for about 20 minutes will cause the phone to heat up to the point where it feels significantly hot in my hands. Plus when it does that it lowers my screen brightness and won't let me turn it up due to the temperature.

So I'm going to try reading it in and see where that gets me and go from there. Hopefully I just got a ddud because everything else about the phone is amazing. Especially the camera. So much better than the original flex!

• Like 1

How do I perform a system cache wipe on the Flex 2? For some reason I can't get to the section.

Power down phone and hold power and volume down until it says starting recovery mode. From there you can wipe cache.

• Like 1

Power down phone and hold power and volume down until it says starting recovery mode. From there you can wipe cache.

Awesome thank you. For some reason I tried it numerous times and it wouldn't work, so I did a soft factory restore yesterday, but did not try it again, so I'm assuming that must have worked. Thanks again.

Awesome thank you. For some reason I tried it numerous times and it wouldn't work, so I did a soft factory restore yesterday, but did not try it again, so I'm assuming that must have worked. Thanks again.

So are you having issues similar to what I'm describing? Just trying to figure out if I have a bad one or not.

So are you having issues similar to what I'm describing? Just trying to figure out if I have a bad one or not.

I'm having issues with lagging and Apps staying "stuck" and webpages taking forever to close, I often have to do a smart clean to get it rolling again. I normally like to do a hard reset using the method you explained to me but it was not working, till now that I tried it. Thinking of doing another reset via the recovery mode. I really haven't had issues with the camera. I'm hoping since it's just been out for a few days it will be a matter of a few tweaks. I can't imagine this powerhouse having these kinds of issues linger too long.

I'm having issues with lagging and Apps staying "stuck" and webpages taking forever to close, I often have to do a smart clean to get it rolling again. I normally like to do a hard reset using the method you explained to me but it was not working, till now that I tried it. Thinking of doing another reset via the recovery mode. I really haven't had issues with the camera. I'm hoping since it's just been out for a few days it will be a matter of a few tweaks. I can't imagine this powerhouse having these kinds of issues linger too long.

How about heat issues? Does yours get significantly hot doing mundane things? I could understand heat playing games or benchmarks, but just browsing the web should cause the amount of heat I'm feeling.

How about heat issues? Does yours get significantly hot doing mundane things? I could understand heat playing games or benchmarks, but just browsing the web should cause the amount of heat I'm feeling.

I haven't experienced extreme heat, only when doing the back up and restoring everything back on the phone but I assume it's to be expected. I will keep a close eye on it the next few days and report.

Thanks! I'm on vacation right now and I'm not sure if I can switch my phone out in any store or if I have to go back to the one I bought it in. So it might not be until next week that I can make the switch and see if it's any better.

Thanks! I'm on vacation right now and I'm not sure if I can switch my phone out in any store or if I have to go back to the one I bought it in. So it might not be until next week that I can make the switch and see if it's any better.

Absolutely! And please continue to keep us posted I have till the Sunday after next before my 14 days are up, so I'm curious to know on your end if it's device related. I will say the signal on this phone blows all the other devices I've owned, signals out of the water. :-)

Ok so here is my update.....

I would say I definitely had a bad phone with the other one. However this new on does still get hot with use, but not near as often or for as long as the other one.

So to start off I went ahead and did a factory reset before I did anything else just in case. I then proceeded to restore my backup up. When doing this on the old phone it would get hot and stay hot throughout the entire restore. This one barely got warm and not until it was almost done.

The hottest the new one got was when I was downloading all the app updates. I would say it got as hot as my old one, but the good part is that after I was done doing updates I continued to browse the web and switch between apps and stuff and it actually cooled off. The old one would stay hot until I stopped using it for at least 15 minutes or more. This one cooled off after a few minutes.

The only thing I'm unsure of, and I don't know if I'm just being extra sensitive because of the issues, is I think there might be some horizontal lines going through the screen on this one. I only notice them on certain screens and if I take off auto brightness and turn it all the way up they go away. So I might go back to a store to at least compare to the demo and see if it's on them. I don't remember seeing them on the old one I had.

So my conclusion is there are a bad batch of them out there, but even with a good one there will be times where it gets hot. Its just a matter of it cooling off or staying hot all the time.

Another day of use down and it's still working better than my old one. It does get hot sometimes and do the screen brightness reducing due to temp but it cools down so much quicker it's not an issue.

I did stop in another sprint store to compare displays to see if I was seeing things or not. One of the display units had the lines a little bit and the other didn't have them at all. Its not a huge issue as I only notice them while doing certain things.

I'm just struggling with keeping this one that is working fine otherwise or trying for a different one and chance getting one that overheats again.....

3rd time's a charm?!?!?!!?!?

stopped back at the sprint store i got the original flex 2 from today to find out my options. The only way i could "reset" my upgrade would be to do a return on the flex 2 and swap to a sprint phone i already own, which i don't have, so that left me with swapping devices until this saturday to find a good one to keep for the next year, which the store was willing to do.

so i went ahead and had them initiate another exchange since the 2nd one was having the issue with the horizontal lines in the screen. i did compare to their display units first and one had no issues and the other had some lines but not as bad as mine. they powered on the 3rd one and we checked out the display, it was perfect, so good there. when i left the store i went ahead and factory reset again and then started restoring my backup. so far its good on the heat, was barely warm by the time the backup was done restoring. now i'll just have to keep an eye on it over the next couple days to make sure it doesn't overheat like the first one.

the girl that was helping me said that i was the first one that she had heard of having problems.... the guy that originally sold me the flex 2 was there and while she was in the back checking on something i went over and talked with him since he had said he was going to get one. I wanted to check and see if he was having problems with his or not, he hadn't been able to get one yet so he wasn't using one. however he did mention that they sold 4 or 5 on launch day and every single on of those had been returned so far.... one other guy had returned 2.

overall its a great phone, they just need some quality control or something to get these bad devices out of the pool so people stop getting them.

had some surprising battery life last night! it was done charging before i went to bed so i decided to unplug it to see how it did standby overnight with battery usage. i'll just let the screenshot do the talking ;)

Screenshot_2015-03-24-06-37-26.png

• Like 2

I saw a very similar graph for the HTC m9 from a Middle Eastern user on an overnight stand by. It would seem that the 810 with its for low power cores might just be unbelievable sipper of battery on standby. That is excellent if true.

just a mini update :) had this 3rd one for over a week now, so far its much much better! there are still some times when it lags scrolling or switching/loading apps but overall its not bad and actually i would say better than my original flex, it would randomly lag scrolling and switching apps too. it still gets warm when doing some tasks, but not hear as burning hot as my first one did. the thing that seems to make it the warmest is using data over LTE. like if i were to update some apps over LTE it would start to get warm.

battery life has been good but not quite as good as my original flex, smaller battery and higher resolution screen will do that though ;) i've been getting at least 3 hours or more of SOT from 100% down to about 10%. days where i use it a lot i get 10 or so hours out of a charge with 3 to 3.5 hours SOT. that number goes up or down depending on how much standby time is in there. standby time is fantastic and it barely uses any battery (assuming some rouge app isn't eating it up).

probably the only downside i've found is it appears that B41 performance is actually worse than my original Flex, but on the flip side B25 performance appears to be better. There are several spots where i used to hold onto B41, but couldn't hold onto B25 where i now lose B41 and keep a good B25 connection when compared to the original flex. i think part of it has to do with the B41 antenna placement. looking at the graphic in the OP it shows it along the lower third of the device, which is where most people are holding their phone and i think this is what is affecting performance.

for example, at my daughters dance i'm within range of a B41 tower, i was checking out signal strength and noticed i wasn't connecting to B41 very much where my original flex would stay on B41 in the parking lot. After doing some testing i found if i held my phone along the sides so i wasn't covering the back i would connect to B41 at around -110, as soon as i held my hand normally, which covers the bottom half of the phone, i would immediately lose B41 and drop down to B25. sometimes i would catch it at -120 or less before it dropped to B25.

in B41 mature markets this may not be as big of an issues if you have B41 signals coming from all directions. in my market where there are only 3 B41 towers so far you are only ever connected to 1 of them, so any signal blockage results in dropped B41 :(

sounds like there is an update released for overseas versions that is fixing the lag and issues, hopefully it will be coming to us soon to really make this phone shine :D

woke up to a notification that there was an android update this morning. apparently ZV5 was released on 3/25, the sprint site just lists "bug fixes" in the update, it was around 120meg. since i'm rooted the update failed to apply :( so i'm waiting on someone over at XDA to post steps on unrooting and manually applying the OTA so i can get updated.