Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

Anyone successfully unlock a Samsung S6? I have ticket opened with back office to have it unlocked.

I have a S6 and Sprint unlocked it for me. It works fine with a T-Mobile sim. The only thing is for the service to kick in I have to make a call first. But I don't get data while on the phone, Hd calls, volte and if I am on a call and once it ends the get back to lte I have to put the phone on airplane mode or else I'll be stuck on hspa+. It works though which is most important. Oh and the sprint lte and 3G logos stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43bbcf8015f57b8a1785e2e90b2e3e2d.jpg

Those are my 4 speed tests that was done at 4 in the morning that are in the 70s

I have a S6 and Sprint unlocked it for me. It works fine with a T-Mobile sim. The only thing is for the service to kick in I have to make a call first. But I don't get data while on the phone, Hd calls, volte and if I am on a call and once it ends the get back to lte I have to put the phone on airplane mode or else I'll be stuck on hspa+. It works though which is most important. Oh and the sprint lte and 3G logos stay.

Those are my 4 speed tests that was done at 4 in the morning that are in the 70s

Does the hotspot work?

Is it possible to get a Note 4 unlocked from Sprint? I purchased a brand new Note 4 online with clean ESN and about to activate it on my account.

The Note 4 was released before the "magic" February date so it cannot be unlocked for domestic use. Note also that if you are still under contract then I don't think they will let you domestic unlock any device you put on your account, even if you paid for it in full/got it on eBay/etc.

Does the hotspot work?

That I didn't check but I'm sure that it does. I would have to wait until I can get my hands back on my brothers sim card.

The absolute strangest thing has happened. So today I called in just inquiring about having my iPhone 6 unlocked and got the expected "contract needs to be satisfied" from them etc.

So later tonight, just for the hell of it I stuck a Verizon SIM card in and I got some kind of iTunes activation popup that made me log into my iTunes acct again. After that it started picking up Verizon signal, then I tried a dead att sim and same thing! So I pop a live T-Mo SIM in and now I'm using LTE, making calls over VoLTE and even the wifi calling is working!

IDK what kind of fluke this is but I still fully intend to pay off my ETF and check the unlock status of this phone (and/or get it unlocked if this is just a temp fluke)

I'm nearly jumping for joy right now, even if it is temporary.

Was your iPhone 6 active on your Sprint account when threw in those other SIM cards?

Was your iPhone 6 active on your Sprint account when threw in those other SIM cards?

No it was not. I called apple and they confirmed that it was carrier unlocked.

The Note 4 was released before the "magic" February date so it cannot be unlocked for domestic use. Note also that if you are still under contract then I don't think they will let you domestic unlock any device you put on your account, even if you paid for it in full/got it on eBay/etc.

I'm not under contract. I'm on a Framily plan and buy my own phone. Can it be unlocked for international use if not domestic?

That I didn't check but I'm sure that it does. I would have to wait until I can get my hands back on my brothers sim card.

Took 1 day to get my S6 Edge unlocked.  T-Mobile sim indeed working but wont connect to LTE.  Very buggy using T-Mobile sim on this device.

Took 1 day to get my S6 Edge unlocked. T-Mobile sim indeed working but wont connect to LTE. Very buggy using T-Mobile sim on this device.

I had to make a phone call first and then hang it up to make the lte work.

I had to make a phone call first and then hang it up to make the lte work.

Did you reprograming anything?  I tried changing the network settings from auto to GSM/UTMS didn't work.  Reset the device only gotten the 3G connection working.

Did you reprograming anything? I tried changing the network settings from auto to GSM/UTMS didn't work. Reset the device only gotten the 3G connection working.

Nope I kept it on auto. Sprint unlocked the phone and had me click on thr uicc unlock under the update software tab.

Does anyone think that sprint just automatically unlocked my iPhone 6 upon termination of the contract on the line it was associated with?

I'm honestly still without a clue how it got unlocked and can't decide whether I wanna just pay off the ETF and not say anything at all hoping it stays unlocked or mention something and risk screwing up a good thing.

Does anyone think that sprint just automatically unlocked my iPhone 6 upon termination of the contract on the line it was associated with?

I'm honestly still without a clue how it got unlocked and can't decide whether I wanna just pay off the ETF and not say anything at all hoping it stays unlocked or mention something and risk screwing up a good thing lol.

You got lucky. I'm still trying to get mines unlocked after I paid it all back in February. I've only had success with my galaxy s6 being unlocked.

So after I paid off the ETF and final bill I called sprint to see what they had as my unlock status and naturally their system still shows as locked. Tech support and International said the same thing. I'm concerned this may stand in the way of getting an unlocked replacement down the road from Apple if need be.

I let international "submit" an unlock request just to see what happens.

Does anyone think that status from sprint will be a problem with Apple later on if I have to get a replacement?

• 3 weeks later...

I called to request a domestic unlock for my Sprint iPhone 6. This was the "advanced support" number that is quite good. So they didn't as an IMEI or MEID, but they gave my a 6-digit number that is a "DSU unlock code." They said I can go to any retailer or provider and give them the code and they'll unlock the phone. I've never heard of a code like this before. I'm trying to see if they gave me false information or if it's legit before I make a trip out to an unlock store or carrier store. Has anyone else heard of it?

I called to request a domestic unlock for my Sprint iPhone 6. This was the "advanced support" number that is quite good. So they didn't as an IMEI or MEID, but they gave my a 6-digit number that is a "DSU unlock code." They said I can go to any retailer or provider and give them the code and they'll unlock the phone. I've never heard of a code like this before. I'm trying to see if they gave me false information or if it's legit before I make a trip out to an unlock store or carrier store. Has anyone else heard of it?

They lied. There is no MSL for iPhones, as they're sim unlockable. Call back and have them do it again.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

They lied. There is no MSL for iPhones, as they're sim unlockable. Call back and have them do it again.

Please be careful with accusations of malice.  "They lied"?  Or they are largely unskilled workers put into the difficult position of providing tech support across dozens of devices for millions of people?

AJ

• Like 1

Hmm... Strange I didn't notice this thread when I posted my MetroPCS to T-Mobile conversion issue elsewhere on the site.

I'll try making this short...

I had an issue early last week where I tried unlocking my MetroPCS ZTE ZMAX to take it to TMobile. Several MetroPCS customer dare representatives told me and the T-Mobile store representative that it wasn't possible, as I only had MetroPCS service for 72-78 days, and they have a policy that a customer must have service with MetroPCS for 90 days, regardless of what carrier they are wanting the device unlocked on, even if it is the parent company of MetroPCS, T-Mobile. However, the T-Mobile service representative already went through setting the service up for me, including porting my telephone number over to T-Mobile from Sprint, while saying all along that it wouldn't be a problem activating T-Mobile service on the MetroPCS issued ZTE ZMAx.

Well sure enough, there was a problem they couldn't get resolved at the time, and cost us extra money for them to research an alternative way of unlocking the device, as we found out today they were able to do so, but there are several issues involved now, including my inability to delete the MetroPCS APN, as I can't be sure that I'm not being limited by MetroPCS being on a lesser priority, or if somehow they got me back on MetroPCS service, rather than a truly unlocked T-Mobile service. It took several days to get this done, as there was a miscommunication issue late last week between my mother and the store representative, because of which we were out of service longer than need be, though the issue now is what exactly is the service on the device now set on exactly.

My mother is now waiting to hear back for compensation they are looking into, while we want to switch out back to Sprint. I just can't trust T-Mobile, which from my experience, even an issue with Sprint in the past regarding Framily, along with reading complaints on each companies' Facebook pages, I can understand why people would claim the representatives have lied to them one way or the other. Especially on issues such as unlocking and phone plans are concerned.

Please be careful with accusations of malice. "They lied"? Or they are largely unskilled workers put into the difficult position of providing tech support across dozens of devices for millions of people?

AJ

When it was new, people around here were being told to "calm down, it's a new procedure." 3 months later, and there's still no excuse for all these unlocking problems. At this point, I would actually say it could be a malicious, backdoor retention policy that the reps are practicing. Why does it still remain so difficult to rightfully get your device unlocked? If they constantly skate around the procedure, they're technically not refusing to unlock these devices as they agreed to, but instead, they're making it so difficult that people say "forget it, I give up."

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 4

Please be careful with accusations of malice.  "They lied"?  Or they are largely unskilled workers put into the difficult position of providing tech support across dozens of devices for millions of people?

AJ

I don't think the "lies" are in direct reference to the customer care representative.  More likely directed towards sprint in general.

I've been trying to get my Galaxy S6 unlocked for weeks with no luck.  All of the reps are very nice but Sprint's system doesn't seem to support domestic sim unlocking.  Magically, getting it unlocked for international use was effortless.

I think the "lies" part stems from sprint not following its own unlocking policy which was framed around the CTIA's Voluntary Unlock Policy resulting from pressure from the FCC to come up with some reasonable rules.

Whatever you want to call it, Sprint states they will do one thing but you call and they are unable to unlock many phones or its unusually complex/complicated to find the "right" care rep to help a customer unlock a phone.

It's unfortunate that Sprint's customer care team isn't properly trained or given the proper tools to comply with its unlocking policy.

• Like 5

Whatever you want to call it, Sprint states they will do one thing but you call and they are unable to unlock many phones or its unusually complex/complicated to find the "right" care rep to help a customer unlock a phone.

It's unfortunate that Sprint's customer care team isn't properly trained or given the proper tools to comply with its unlocking policy.

It's unfortunate that the phone you pay for is locked to a single carrier.  It should have always been capable of being domestically unlocked, or it should have just come unlocked to begin with.  Either way, it's probably the only policy Sprint doesn't impress me with.  Even when forced to comply, they make the efforts of unlocking tedious.  Fortunately, I unlock my own phones via root, but that's not the case with everyone else.

It's unfortunate that the phone you pay for is locked to a single carrier. It should have always been capable of being domestically unlocked, or it should have just come unlocked to begin with. Either way, it's probably the only policy Sprint doesn't impress me with. Even when forced to comply, they make the efforts of unlocking tedious. Fortunately, I unlock my own phones via root, but that's not the case with everyone else.

I have both a iPhone 6 plus and a Galaxy S6 both paid off. When it comes to my iPhone, I've just given up trying to unlock it. They keep saying it is but apple says it's not. But when my S6 they were able to unlock it with no problem and it worked when I threw in a T-mobile sim but when I put back in my sprint sim a day later the phone locked itself back up. I didn't even bother to call about it. Too many hoops to jump though especially with their new unlocking policy. Anywho, I told myself I just will not buy another iPhone through sprint anymore. I'll just wait until apple starts selling the fully unlocked edition for all carriers that way I don't have to hassle with Sprint on unlocking it for me.