Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

Haven't gotten any notification yet for my 4S, but I just did a complete reinstall of the OS and restore (with an AT&T SIM in), and it unlocked.

How do you like OS8 on your 4S? Does it slow the phone down? We still have a 4S on OS7 and it is already somewhat slow. Also, can you PM the link to website you got the report?

Thanks

How do you like OS8 on your 4S? Does it slow the phone down? We still have a 4S on OS7 and it is already somewhat slow. Also, can you PM the link to website you got the report?

Thanks

It works OK.  There is definitely a difference from using an iPhone 6 to a 4S (I can tell), but it's usable.  I went ahead and put it on Ting's GSM network and put some limits on it for my 10-year-old.  Even after restoring it with the Sprint SIM in it, it would never seem to want to do hands-free activation any longer, and the ##UPDATE# code no longer works (throws an error, even after restoring with the Sprint SIM).  So, the reason Sprint might be saying the 4S and 5 can't be unlocked is because it's a one way street if you do use a GSM SIM in it.

When restored with the Sprint SIM (factory defaults even, I entered DFU mode, restored it, and went through setup), you see "Carrier 18.0" instead of "Sprint", and you still do see the MEID in there.  Just none of the ##UPDATE# or other codes work, it doesn't attempt to activate with CDMA, etc.

Ah well... it's a little more flexible now anyway. :)

It works OK.  There is definitely a difference from using an iPhone 6 to a 4S (I can tell), but it's usable.  I went ahead and put it on Ting's GSM network and put some limits on it for my 10-year-old.  Even after restoring it with the Sprint SIM in it, it would never seem to want to do hands-free activation any longer, and the ##UPDATE# code no longer works (throws an error, even after restoring with the Sprint SIM).  So, the reason Sprint might be saying the 4S and 5 can't be unlocked is because it's a one way street if you do use a GSM SIM in it.

When restored with the Sprint SIM (factory defaults even, I entered DFU mode, restored it, and went through setup), you see "Carrier 18.0" instead of "Sprint", and you still do see the MEID in there.  Just none of the ##UPDATE# or other codes work, it doesn't attempt to activate with CDMA, etc.

Ah well... it's a little more flexible now anyway. :)

Thanks for the details. We don't plan to use that 4S on Sprint again, so I wouldn't be a problem. Good to know though.

There is an option for unlock under "Manage this device" when you sign on your Sprint account.  Was able to unlock all iPhones 6 on our account.

There is an option for unlock under "Manage this device" when you sign on your Sprint account. Was able to unlock all iPhones 6 on our account.

I think that's for international, or did it work as domestic for you? I tried it with my phone a week ago, and it didn't work. It told me to call customer care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an option for unlock under "Manage this device" when you sign on your Sprint account. Was able to unlock all iPhones 6 on our account.

I think that's for international, or did it work as domestic for you? I tried it with my phone a week ago, and it didn't work. It told me to call customer care.

The international unlock only seems to do a full unlock on inactive devices. On my 6+ the international unlock didn't allow me to use a Tmo SIM.

I just called in to get my iPhone 5 unlocked, and I had switched the phone on my account so the 5 would be inactive. He said it would 3-4 days. Should I wait to reactivate my phone until the unlock goes through?

I just called and the rep "claimed" it went though successfully but said give it two hours. So we shall see if it went though. The good thing from this was she sent me a email that I can respond to that her supervisor will respond too. Hope that I won't have to use it.

I just called and the rep "claimed" it went though successfully but said give it two hours. So we shall see if it went though. The good thing from this was she sent me a email that I can respond to that her supervisor will respond too. Hope that I won't have to use it.

I was told 48 hours. As far as I know, my phone still isn't unlocked. Of course it hasn't been 48 hours yet of course, but if it doesn't work by tomorrow night, I'll be calling back again.

-Anthony

I was told 48 hours. As far as I know, my phone still isn't unlocked. Of course it hasn't been 48 hours yet of course, but if it doesn't work by tomorrow night, I'll be calling back again.

-Anthony

I don't blame you. I hope it works out for the both of us cause the wait time just to get to a rep is long.

• Like 1

Mine, and all the others I've read about in various forums were instant. Do a ##update# and throw in a different sim. Or, call/chat Apple, and they'll tell you off the IMEI of it's unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 2

Mine, and all the others I've read about in various forums were instant. Do a ##update# and throw in a different sim. Or, call/chat Apple, and they'll tell you off the IMEI of it's unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

correct once Sprint communicates to Apple - the Activation Servers have the unlock instantly.   The hard part is getting Sprint to their side of the puzzle.  I just wish Sprint trained their people better and had proper timing of events... 

For those who were successful in getting their iPhones unlock, was there any notification that appeared on the phone after doing the ##update#?

For those who were successful in getting their iPhones unlock, was there any notification that appeared on the phone after doing the ##update#?

No

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

one of my phones seems to be unlocked.... i have an inactive att sim, and my phone just says no service. no more error page showing locked device.... I hope that's good news lol

When you insert another provider's SIM card, you'll see the apple logo, then the lock screen with "activation required." You'll only see this the first time. Once it's actually unlocked, you'll be prompted for activation over wifi, or cellular network (if the aim is active). You'll then see a prompt to enter your iCloud info if it's unlocked. If not, you'll get "invalid sim." Once you do it once, and it succeeds, you'll be able to hot swap without ever leaving the home screen.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 3

This may have been answered, but if so I missed it..

Is there any way to find out if the unlock has completed and/or how to check unlock status on the phone (iphone6+) itself? (without changing sims)

any app or dialer code?

This may have been answered, but if so I missed it..

Is there any way to find out if the unlock has completed and/or how to check unlock status on the phone (iphone6+) itself? (without changing sims)

any app or dialer code?

No. There are only 3 ways: 1) inserting a different sim 2) asking Apple tech support to check your IMEI 3) buying the unlock information from www.imei.info ($1.99, I think).

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Just to confirm... there's no real reason to do a full-restore after an unlock, right?

i did - but thats me...   I don't think you should have to.   

once you go through the Apple activation servers - your device should be free and clear.  

Just to confirm... there's no real reason to do a full-restore after an unlock, right?

I guess that's a 4th way to check if you're unlocked. You'll restore as a new iPhone, not from a backup. You'll then see "Congratulations, your iphone is now unlocked."

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I guess that's a 4th way to check if you're unlocked. You'll restore as a new iPhone, not from a backup. You'll then see "Congratulations, your iphone is now unlocked."

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I wish I could, being JB'd kind of prevents this right now.  :-(

In any case, I just chatted with a Sprint rep who said they performed an international unlock, then performed a Domestic unlock on my iP6.... and I am still under contract. So, either it won't work, or it will and they just skirted the policy. I'll try it out tomorrow on an ATT sim at work, but only doing the ##update# dialer update. 

They did mention that the international unlock requires a restore, while the domestic unlock only requires a "##update#" to take effect. Time will tell...

I wish I could, being JB'd kind of prevents this right now. :-(

In any case, I just chatted with a Sprint rep who said they performed an international unlock, then performed a Domestic unlock on my iP6.... and I am still under contract. So, either it won't work, or it will and they just skirted the policy. I'll try it out tomorrow on an ATT sim at work, but only doing the ##update# dialer update.

They did mention that the international unlock requires a restore, while the domestic unlock only requires a "##update#" to take effect. Time will tell...

Neither, from what I've heard and experienced, require the restore. If you're under contract, why are you trying to get an unlock? They definitely won't do a DSU, only an ISU.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

Neither, from what I've heard and experienced, require the restore. If you're under contract, why are you trying to get an unlock? They definitely won't do it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I went into this trying to get only an international unlock for travel later this year. Figured I'd ask about the domestic in case I want to switch devices later on... and according to the chat rep, they did it. I was quite surprised.

To sum it up:

"[05:53:21 PM] Darlin S: Awesome your device is now unlocked for domestic use."

Either they found a way to force it despite me being under contract, or their attempt won't work despite the "system" saying it did. 

Apple chat confirmed that they got a request for the international unlock. If the domestic doesn't work, I won't be mad, but it would be cool to have the freedom to test out other prepaid SIMs.