Apple v. Android Discussion/Debate

IsaiahL

Apple makes great hardware.

I hate their software policies and their desire to think they own your phone, that you bought. It stifles development and irritates me to no end. I have to work with mobile applications and I would rather do 100 android apps instead of 1 iOS app.

Thats all I have to say on the android vs iOS discussion. Not going to take any bait.

Lol no bait no bait. Feel free to talk as you wish. We just have to not be closed minded and have to be open to each other's opinions ya know?

I think Apple's future is looking brighter tho. They're spelt bending and changing their ways and advancing with the times. We can see that with the release of iOS 8. I think that's only the beginning. They'll eventually open up more but they're trying to do it efficiently. Keeping security at the top of the list of important things. That's one reason I like iOS, for the most part I'm always safe. I can go on anything and not worry about hackers or viruses unless i jailbreak, which I never do I like stock iOS and even Android.

• Like 1

One thing I can say that I was sure about if Apple didn't up their screens this year I was switching to an Android. Stock or I'd get an HTC device. I just love the One M8. Metal phones for the win. I think Samsung's realizing that too Galaxy Alpha Anyone? Lol

Android vs iOS is moot to me, I have both and love both. I love Apples continuity features and messaging service, and I love Androids flexibility plus it just has a "fun to use" factor for me. Both are very well polished and run exceptionally well. (I give the reliability award to Android lately since iOS 8 has been a clusterf*ck of bugs since day one)

• Like 1

For me, it boils down to 3 things: the messaging (email and text) is far superior, and cleaner; the overall experience is smoother (for me, everything on android takes one or two extra steps to do anything); and the app development/mobile website development is better. It's so easy to see that development is always geared towards iOS. Things come out first for iOS, and android lagging behind. I was on a flight a few months ago that offered live television. There was a football game on that I really wanted to watch, but couldn't because I was on my m8. Every iOS instantly loaded it up in HD, while android phones and tablets required all kinds of codecs and accompanying apps to make it work. People were pressing the flight attendant call button trying to get help. That ruined android for me, and was one of the last straws for me with android. iOS doesn't change much year after year because it doesn't have to. It works fine, and I don't get all of this "I can customize android much more" talk. What customization? I think with lollipop, android is finally getting on the right track with ease of use, and that sought after clean look.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Edit: I would like to add a few more thoughts on what keeps me on the iOS side. First, iCloud. The fact that every aspect of my phone (messages, settings, wallpaper, alarms, wifi networks, apps, every single photo/video, and all of my music, etc.) are backed up, and retrievable under one single username/password. I can go buy a new phone today, and with one login, I have an exact clone of my last device. Google can't provide this. Maybe they can, and I just don't know about it, but it's a great security blanket. There's nothing worse than getting a new phone, and trying to remember how you had things setup before, and trying to replicate that. And second, iMessage. SMS/MMS feels archaic to me. It's slow, and very limited on things. Every single person I interact with in my life has an iPhone, and being able to send unlimited character messages, hd videos, and large collections of photos instantly is fantastic. iPhone users know about the horrid of getting a video mms'd to you from an android phone. It's the size of postage stamp with grainy, and seemingly 5fps quality. I was flipping through some videos of our annual Fourth of July fireworks extravaganza, and asked my buddy to send me a 5 minute video from his phone. Zero quality deterioration. Yes, I'm sure there are messaging apps that can mimic this, but it's the OS integration factor that's clean and nice.

Honestly, this is a debate that will continue on forever, until these operating systems no longer exist. There's no clear cut winner...ever. No review is ever fair, because everyone has a like or dislike towards one or the other. Whatever works for you, works, and that makes it the best operating system. I'm pretty sure we're a responsible enough community to thoroughly debate this topic without "trolling" the hell out of it.

• Like 3

You can get the M8 HK edition for $15 a month on easy pay.

Sent from my Sprint LG G3

You can get the GS5, GS5 Sport, and iPhone 6 for 5 dollars a month as long as you are on plans created before Framily Plan. Its Costumer Loyalty Program But if you are on Framily or newer plans don't qualify even if you have been with Sprint 2 years or 15 years. 

http://www.bidnessetc.com/29710-sprint-corporation-thanks-loyal-customers-this-holiday-season/

You can get the GS5, GS5 Sport, and iPhone 6 for 5 dollars a month as long as you are on plans created before Framily Plan. Its Costumer Loyalty Program But if you are on Framily or newer plans don't qualify even if you have been with Sprint 2 years or 15 years.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/29710-sprint-corporation-thanks-loyal-customers-this-holiday-season/

Those are leases. Also, you're likely to be paying more on a legacy plan and leasing than just moving to the new plans and leasing or buying with easy pay.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Your OS is only as good to you as the apps you use it for, look at video games as an example.

If you want to play Mario.. get a Nintendo.

If you want to play Halo.. get an Xbox.

I have an iPad and Note.

I use both for work, both rooted/jailbroke and customized, but both have their own exclusive apps, due to OS core limitations and the developer/programmer.

• Like 1

I use both (I only own android, but 90% of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis have an iPhone and I always get asked to do tech support/help people with iPhone stuff), and here's my take:

They both have their pros and cons. At this point, it mostly comes down to whether the pros outweigh the cons for your individual use.

Android is definitely the right one for me, because I enjoy having the ability to tweak every little aspect of my experience all the time. There are downsides, like less synergy between apps/tasks (of course this is becoming less of an issue as android evolves) and an overall less stable/consistent UX experience between apps (yes, I know that says "experience" twice in a row). But to me, the pros outweigh the cons.

iOS on the other hand, is extremely smooth and stable. App operations and experiences are very consistent and the OS is very efficient both performance wise and navigation wise (you can make android's UI very navigationally efficient, but out of the box most manufacturer skins make doing certain tasks take a million taps and swipes). But of course there is little room for customization, so I don't enjoy using it as much.

Overall, I think it mostly boils down to personal preference. Both platforms are great, and I appreciate how they sort of keep each other in check.  :)

But I should add that Signalcheck is pretty awesome.

• Like 3

I remember that I used to eagerly want an iPhone because I had an iPod Touch and loved it. Back then, my phone was a LG Voyager (Verizon) and it was called an "iPhone Killer", [emoji38]. Yeah, a dolled up feature phone <> an iPhone. Back in the day, iPhones were so far ahead of the game.

Now that I can get an iPhone, I find it's just not for me. I tried an iPhone 5 a year and a half ago and that felt like taking a step backwards. The lack of customization and high cost is what keeps me away now.

• Like 2

Edit: I would like to add a few more thoughts on what keeps me on the iOS side. First, iCloud. The fact that every aspect of my phone (messages, settings, wallpaper, alarms, wifi networks, apps, every single photo/video, and all of my music, etc.) are backed up, and retrievable under one single username/password. I can go buy a new phone today, and with one login, I have an exact clone of my last device. Google can't provide this. Maybe they can, and I just don't know about it, but it's a great security blanket. There's nothing worse than getting a new phone, and trying to remember how you had things setup before, and trying to replicate that. 

Most if not all of these things are backed up with google. The only things I am not sure about are wallpapers, alarms and wifi passwords.

Most if not all of these things are backed up with google. The only things I am not sure about are wallpapers, alarms and wifi passwords.

Wallpapers are AFAIK. My parents both just got new phones (HTC E8s) and their old wallpapers showed up after they logged in to their Google accounts. I know it's not some HTC sync thing because my mom was upgrading from an LG Viper.

Photos/Videos are automatically backed up to Google Drive through Google+ Photos, and you can upload raw music files to Google Play Music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The iPhone 6 is the first one since I was on the OG Evo that made me even consider Apple. But then I realized my M7 was still better (for me). Guys were all jacked up about features they'll likely never use (like slo mo video) more than a few times as a novelty. I haven't found an app that I need that I couldn't get (YMMV) and I love my front speakers.

This is a no-win debate. I hate the rigidity and closed nature of ios. Others hate that every android looks different (Samsung TW vs HTC Sense vs LG's whatever vs Moto's whatever).

Opinions are like anuses - everyone has one, but it's the people that act like one that get both sides in a huff. What works for some doesn't for others. Pointless to try and sway either camp.

• Like 1

The one thing that irritates me on the iOS side is the storage situation. It is time for Apple to start bumping the base storage up to 32GB.

That's why mostly everyone owns the 64GB

That's the one I have and I love it, for the first time ever I can have movies and tv shows on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by IsaiahL

That's why mostly everyone owns the 64GB

That's the one I have and I love it, for the first time ever I can have movies and tv shows on my phone.

"Mostly everyone" is not accurate. Go into any retail location that sells iPhones. The 16gb is definitely the best seller. That being said, since the 64 replaced the 32 the sales of 64 have gone up, but definitely not mostly everyone.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

"Mostly everyone" is not accurate. Go into any retail location that sells iPhones. The 16gb is definitely the best seller. That being said, since the 64 replaced the 32 the sales of 64 have gone up, but definitely not mostly everyone.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I don't think that's completely true, because in the initial release of the iPhone 6 even with restocks the 64GB is the main one that stayed sold out at least in my area. While the 16GB was in stock. Most people buying the new iPhones are previous iPhone users who have had 16GB and they know it's not enough storage so they opt for the larger storage.

Sent from my shiny new Space Grey iPhone 6

I guess you run with a more technically proficient crowd than I do, Isaiah. Most of my friends and acquaintances buy the 16 GB model, then turn to me for help when it's full.  :(

• Like 2

I guess you run with a more technically proficient crowd than I do, Isaiah. Most of my friends and acquaintances buy the 16 GB model, then turn to me for help when it's full. :(

Lol , well I live around the rich people lol. They love their iPhones and definitely know the difference between 16 and 64, and they were snatching em up. Me , I planned for the 32 but when it was unveiled as 64 I was even more hyped. I had a summer job and I put 150$ aside and traded in my phone to cover the rest.

Lol , well I live around the rich people lol. They love their iPhones and definitely know the difference between 16 and 64, and they were snatching em up. Me , I planned for the 32 but when it was unveiled as 64 I was even more hyped. I had a summer job and I put 150$ aside and traded in my phone to cover the rest.

The rich people isn't a term to describe, well, anyone where I live. Though if I do upgrade it will be the 64 GB. I'm advising everyone else to go to the 64 too.

The rich people isn't a term to describe, well, anyone where I live. Though if I do upgrade it will be the 64 GB. I'm advising everyone else to go to the 64 too.

Lol , you definitely should, it's well worth the extra hundred Apple charges for it. But I do think they could lower the GB intervals by 50$. So It'd be $199, $249, 299$. Apple would most definitely double their sales if they did that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what good will come out of this thread. Everyone needs to remain civil. Please be respectful. If things start going sideways, we will take the thread offline, as warranted.

Let me know when the dust settles  :P

%25%25%25%25%25%20google%20vs%20apple.jp

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Lollipop and it's myriad of issues on the Nexus 5 has me seriously considering an iPhone in the future. I commute to and from work, which totals 3+ hours depending on weather and constant app closures due to memory leaks are just infuriating. Last thing I want to do is reopen Spotify every 30 mins or reopen Maps while using the navigation feature to auto find faster routes. Google seriously has dropped the ball on fixing the memory leaks even after two more releases to Lollipop, lets hope 5.1 addresses these things.

That and the absolute shit SoT time is just frustrating. 2.5 hrs of SoT is just unacceptable.

Lollipop and it's myriad of issues on the Nexus 5 has me seriously considering an iPhone in the future. I commute to and from work, which totals 3+ hours depending on weather and constant app closures due to memory leaks are just infuriating. Last thing I want to do is reopen Spotify every 30 mins or reopen Maps while using the navigation feature to auto find faster routes. Google seriously has dropped the ball on fixing the memory leaks even after two more releases to Lollipop, lets hope 5.1 addresses these things.

That and the absolute shit SoT time is just frustrating. 2.5 SoT is just unacceptable.

I suggest you get the 6s if you do decide to switch. The 6 is a great phone but the 1gb of ram is limiting.

Besides that everything's perfect on the iOS side of things. Never will I ever switch.