Verizon spends $69 million on Indy network upgrades. To avoid LTE crash at Superbowl?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 23 January 2012

With the LTE outages Verizon has experienced the past year, it makes you wonder how the 85,000 people attending the Superbowl in Indy will impact their LTE network. Verizon may have had that in mind when they decided to spend $69 million upgrading their LTE network in Indianapolis. According to the article

"How Verizon Prepares for the First 4G LTE Super Bowl in Indianapolis" Verizon claims that attendees of the Superbowl will be able to watch the game on their mobile devices. That is an aggressive promise, but how many people will actually watch it on their phone? To assist with the added network load, they have deployed the following:

• 9 Antennas that are part of a Distributed Antenna System (DAS) outside the stadium to handle increased downtown traffic.
  • 400 Antenna Internal DAS to handle 3G and 4G LTE voice and data inside the stadium.
  • 600 Antenna WiFi system capable of handling 28,000 simultaneous connected users. Free for Super Bowl 46.
  • 3 Cell on Wheels (COWs). Stand alone generator powered cell towers to handle the extremely high demand areas.

The atricle finishes by saying the only equipment that they will not be leaving in place is the 3 cell on wheels that will be on hand. The Verizon customers in the city of Indianapolis will certainly be benefiting from the Superbowl.

Interesting perspective, Thanks Pyroscott. I know Sprint added 2 COWs at the stadium, 2 at the SuperBowl Village, and 1 at the practice facility.. as well as "substantial" capacity upgrades within the stadium. Likely only 3G, but I wonder if their upgrades within the stadium are permanent.

I hope Verizon is successful. I would love for a model of how to handle large events to be established for all wireless carriers to employ when necessary. Bring in the COWs. MOOO!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Fury Gran Coupe (My First Car - What a Boat...)
    • Definite usage quirks in hunting down these sites with a rainbow sim in a s24 ultra. Fell into a hole yesterday so sent off to T-Mobile purgatory. Try my various techniques. No Dish. Get within binocular range of former Sprint colocation and can see Dish equipment. Try to manually set network and everybody but no Dish is listed.  Airplane mode, restart, turn on and off sim, still no Dish. Pull upto 200ft from site straight on with antenna.  Still no Dish. Get to manual network hunting again on phone, power off phone for two minutes. Finally see Dish in manual network selection and choose it. Great signal as expected. I still think the 15 minute rule might work but lack patience. (With Sprint years ago, while roaming on AT&T, the phone would check for Sprint about every fifteen minutes. So at highway speed you could get to about the third Sprint site before roaming would end). Using both cellmapper and signalcheck.net maps to hunt down these sites. Cellmapper response is almost immediate these days (was taking weeks many months ago).  Their idea of where a site can be is often many miles apart. Of course not the same dataset. Also different ideas as how to label a site, but sector details can match with enough data (mimo makes this hard with its many sectors). Dish was using county spacing in a flat suburban area, but is now denser in a hilly richer suburban area.  Likely density of customers makes no difference as a poorer urban area with likely more Dish customers still has country spacing of sites.
    • Mike if you need more Dish data, I have been hunting down sites in western Columbus.  So far just n70 and n71 reporting although I CA all three.
    • Good catch! I meant 115932/119932. Edited my original post I've noticed the same thing lately and have just assumed that they're skipping it now because they're finally able to deploy mmWave small cells.