600 MHz auction results posted and transition schedule

ericdabbs

You know, you are just about the only one who rails on coverage holes in Wichita and Kansas City.  Most everyone else is pretty satisfied with coverage now in the Kansas market.  Maybe the issue is with you and your expectations, not with the network.

Additionally, you felt it necessary to respond to a two and a half month old post only now.  That seems like dredging up a post just so that you can say something negative.

Next, I do not know where you get the idea that Sprint might not even be finished with band 25 deployment by the time that 600 MHz can be used.  You are not a sponsor, so you are not privy to timetables or completed sites.  But Sprint is mostly finished with band 25 deployment.  Some sites linger, but over 33,000 have band 25.

Finally, even if the 600 MHz auction happens next year and comes off without a hitch, it will take years for the affected TV broadcasters to relinquish their channels and the FCC to repack their vacated spectrum.  Estimates are that 600 MHz may not be usable until 2019.

AJ

Yeah... it's completely my expectations and not Sprint's lack of towers, backhaul or completed work.

So approx 20% or more of their current sites don't even have band 25 running. In mid 2015. That is a problem. Not even accounting for the at least 9000 additional sites they want to add. At Sprint's pace there seems a very good chance that they might not have band 25 completed by the time 600mhz can be used. Especially if 20% of their current sites are "difficult" ones. 4 years later not having 1900 finished is a complete failure.

• Like 1

Yeah... it's completely my expectations and not Sprint's lack of towers, backhaul or completed work.

So approx 20% or more of their current sites don't even have band 25 running. In mid 2015. That is a problem. Not even accounting for the at least 9000 additional sites they want to add. At Sprint's pace there seems a very good chance that they might not have band 25 completed by the time 600mhz can be used. Especially if 20% of their current sites are "difficult" ones. 4 years later not having 1900 finished is a complete failure.

Definitely agree here. If only they'd deploy their 2.5 fully, along with having the other bands available for backup when 2.5 signal is too weak, then things would be better on their network.

In the Kansas market, you are just about the only one here at S4GRU who is complaining.  Basically, everyone else speaks highly of what Network Vision has done for Sprint service in the area.

Anyway, your posts are now bordering on rants, which are not allowed at S4GRU.  So, please watch your posting behavior.  Or simply stop posting.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

AJ

• Like 1

Definitely agree here. If only they'd deploy their 2.5 fully, along with having the other bands available for backup when 2.5 signal is too weak, then things would be better on their network.

You live in a city where they've probably "deploy"ed their 2.5 "fully" more than anywhere else in the country...

You live in a city where they've probably "deploy"ed their 2.5 "fully" more than anywhere else in the country...

I'd imagine in the city, yes, but not in the suburbs. There are areas where 2.5 does connect to around here, just not as often as the PCS and the 800. Where the 2.5 does connect though, is very good, with speeds at least of 30mbps or greater.

I'd imagine in the city, yes, but not in the suburbs. There are areas where 2.5 does connect to around here, just not as often as the PCS and the 800. Where the 2.5 does connect though, is very good, with speeds at least of 30mbps or greater.

If band 41 were meant to be everywhere, then Sprint would have no need for band 25 and band 26.  Its tri band strategy would be pointless.

Instead, people need to accept that they will not always be on one of those big 20 MHz TDD pipes.  But 5 MHz FDD is nice, too.  And with a good RF handset, the tri band transitions happen just about as intended.

AJ

• Like 1

If band 41 were meant to be everywhere, then Sprint would have no need for band 25 and band 26. Its tri band strategy would be pointless.

Instead, people need to accept that they will not always be on one of those big 20 MHz TDD pipes. But 5 MHz FDD is nice, too. And with a good RF handset, the tri band transitions happen just about as intended.

AJ

Then I misunderstood one of the benefits of NV was to have all frequencies on most towers, or at least try to have 2.5 on them, seeing as it needs the most density. Some of the Sprint store employees I've spoken with have complained about the 800 being very slow for them though happy when they can get 2.5. I think Sprint is great with the 2.5, which it has lots of and ought to take advantage of fully.

At least it would shut Craig Moffett up about how Sprint should sell its 2.5, something I strongly disagree with.

Instead, people need to accept that they will not always be on one of those big 20 MHz TDD pipes. But 5 MHz FDD is nice, too. And with a good RF handset, the tri band transitions happen just about as intended.

AJ

The problem is 5mhz FDD gets overloaded wayyyy to fast and performance sucks on the cell edge compared to wider carriers. Not so nice.. That's why many people do not like not being on B41 when the grass could be so much greener, especially when WiFi is also not an option.

Luckily I don't come across this as much as I used to as we have good load balancing and site spacing in my area, not to mention B26 and an extra B25 carrier to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the Kansas market, you are just about the only one here at S4GRU who is complaining.  Basically, everyone else speaks highly of what Network Vision has done for Sprint service in the area.

Anyway, your posts are now bordering on rants, which are not allowed at S4GRU.  So, please watch your posting behavior.  Or simply stop posting.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

AJ

What borders a rant?

I have said myself that when you're near a tower it works fine, does that mean we can't acknowledge that they currently have significant holes in the coverage that the 600mhz service would help to plug? Does it also mean that we can't talk about the 1000's of sites that don't have lte yet (which you dodged)?

Edited by greencat
  • Like 2

What borders a rant?

What borders a rant is a poster who may get suspended or banned for breaking the rules.

Now, what is bordering on a rant are hyperbolically negative and factually spurious statements, such as these:

At Sprint's pace there seems a very good chance that they might not have band 25 completed by the time 600mhz can be used.

. . .

4 years later not having 1900 finished is a complete failure.

AJ

Sprint is nearly finished with LTE besides GMO sites. Most GMO sites are in low usage areas. Sprint must focus on increasing the experience in urban areas before going back and dealing with GMO's. GMO's will likely be around still when the 600MHz auction is performed. Heck, 600MHz may even be a part of Sprint's GMO conversion plan.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Sprint is nearly finished with LTE besides GMO sites. Most GMO sites are in low usage areas. Sprint must focus on increasing the experience in urban areas before going back and dealing with GMO's. GMO's will likely be around still when the 600MHz auction is performed. Heck, 600MHz may even be a part of Sprint's GMO conversion plan.

Yeah it's the same deal with T-mobile GMOs. They aren't touching those anytime soon and only will if they need to use it for 700a, usage levels go up to a certain level (same deal for sprint as well), or whenever 600 comes around. 

Yeah it's the same deal with T-mobile GMOs. They aren't touching those anytime soon and only will if they need to use it for 700a, usage levels go up to a certain level (same deal for sprint as well), or whenever 600 comes around.

700a for T-Mobile is a bolt on to the GMO. They aren't finishing modernization of 1900GMO sites even in areas where they deploy 700a.

If & when we ever do see 600 mhz on any carrier, it might just be that the RRU's for that service could be on the ground much of the time.  Antennas would probably be bigger & heavier and adding the RRU's on the top may simply be just too much hardware in some cases.  Also, the loss in any coax going to the top of the tower is not as great with 600 Mhz as it is at 1900 or 2500.  Some of the sites are already overloaded with bulk, weight, wind resistance.   I have already seen a few towers that had to be "beefed up" to handle the first round of NV.

• Like 1

700a for T-Mobile is a bolt on to the GMO. They aren't finishing modernization of 1900GMO sites even in areas where they deploy 700a.

Sprint can do exactly the same thing with 600 at NV GMO sites.

While I'm planning to put together an official thread with an up to date first post about this auction, here's some news today:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/appeals-court-denies-broadcaster-auction-challenge/141696

- Trip

Wow. Looks like this auction may actually happen.

Wow. Looks like this auction may actually happen.

And no TV broadcaster is obligated to participate.

AJ

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that Verizon has 1900 MHz spectrum. Is it possible that Sprint sits out of the 600 auction and buys the 1900 spectrum from Verizon? That might be a better way to swing this play. If there is 800 MHz out there to buy, that would be even better.

Just noticed that Verizon has 1900 MHz spectrum. Is it possible that Sprint sits out of the 600 auction and buys the 1900 spectrum from Verizon? That might be a better way to swing this play. If there is 800 MHz out there to buy, that would be even better.

Verizon would never sell any of its PCS.

I wouldn't say never, they probably are at least willing to discuss it if you have the cash and some other spectrum they are interested in.

Never?  Poppycock.  Maybe, maybe not.

VZW's PCS holdings are the least important of its entire spectrum portfolio.  Across most markets, VZW has around 10 MHz (5 MHz FDD) of PCS.  Not that much.

Mostly in exceptional markets -- New York, Dallas, Miami, etc. -- where it holds no Cellular spectrum or has accumulated significant PCS capacity spectrum does VZW have great swaths of contiguous PCS spectrum that are truly valuable for LTE.

AJ