600 MHz auction results posted and transition schedule

ericdabbs

Verizon is NOT backing out of 600Mhz auction (though not a priority for them).

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizons-shammo-well-be-600-mhz-auction-more-interested-high-band-spectrum/2015-10-20

Also, this could be pretty big news for T-Mobile. The parents might be coming to help them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-20/deutsche-telekom-said-to-consider-sale-of-t-mobile-netherlands

Despite my gripes with John Legere, I'm very supportive of T-Mobile getting as much of the 600mhz spectrum as possible, considering Sprint isn't going to participate in this auction.

So, this is very good news! Hopefully now T-Mobile will be able to get 15x15 of the 600mhz spectrum.

Despite my gripes with John Legere, I'm very supportive of T-Mobile getting as much of the 600mhz spectrum as possible, considering Sprint isn't going to participate in this auction.

So, this is very good news! Hopefully now T-Mobile will be able to get 15x15 of the 600mhz spectrum.

I can see T-Mobile getting 10x10. Nothing more nothing less.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can see T-Mobile getting 10x10. Nothing more nothing less.

I hope you are right about them getting at least 10x10 in 600mhz spectrum, which perhaps they will get for the markets which already have 5x5mhz in 700mhz spectrum.

However, there still are some major markets without any low band spectrum where T-Mobile will need more than just 10x10. Plus, without any real competition in the reserve spectrum since Sprint isn't participating in the auction, T-Mobile could get 15x15 of it in those areas.

Yet, T-Mobile said they will have up to $10 billion to spend on this auction, with a possible extra (up to) $5 billion from DT. That is alot of money to spend where T-Mobile really needs it. If they decide to get 15x15 of the 600mhz spectrum, at least in all of the major markets, T-Mobile will be set.

• Like 1

I hope you are right about them getting at least 10x10 in 600mhz spectrum, which perhaps they will get for the markets which already have 5x5mhz in 700mhz spectrum.

However, there still are some major markets without any low band spectrum where T-Mobile will need more than just 10x10. Plus, without any real competition in the reserve spectrum since Sprint isn't participating in the auction, T-Mobile could get 15x15 of it in those areas.

Yet, T-Mobile said they will have up to $10 billion to spend on this auction, with a possible extra (up to) $5 billion from DT. That is alot of money to spend where T-Mobile really needs it. If they decide to get 15x15 of the 600mhz spectrum, at least in all of the major markets, T-Mobile will be set.

If T-Mobile can get a nationwide 10x10 or at least in the top 100 cities. Sprint executes the NGN project correctly. T-Mobile and Sprint will put alot of pressure on the big two.

• Like 2

I'm going to add to this an idea I have, even if it isn't likely, is something I'd at least like to see T-Mobile try for with their spectrum holdings. Reminder, I'm giving my opinion here, not saying they must do this, etc.

I'd like to see T-Mobile have LTE in both mid to major markets at 15x15 AWS and 15x15 600, with 4g/3g/Voice using 5x5 on 700 (once 600 is fully deployed, if VoLTE hasn't fully replaced GSM by then) or in areas without 700 have 5x5 PCS for 4g/3g/Voice. If VoLTE has replaced GSM by then, have the 5x5 700 or PCS used for LTE.

Small markets would do fine with 10x10 AWS and 10x10 600 with either 5x5 700 or 5x5 PCS used as needed.

Furthermore, it would be good if T-Mobile could sell or trade excess PCS for more AWS in mid to major markets where there isn't more than 15x15 AWS. Since there are quite a few of those markets with 20x20 AWS, if T-Mobile could use that PCS in order to gain more AWS, it would be nice for them to have 20x20 AWS in all mid to major markets, while keeping 5x5 PCS for older technologies.

If T-Mobile can get a nationwide 10x10 or at least in the top 100 cities. Sprint executes the NGN project correctly. T-Mobile and Sprint will put alot of pressure on the big two.

I do hope so. Since Sprint isn't going to be in this auction, the more T-Mobile gets of it, the better it is for T-Mobile, and possibly even for Sprint, if they ever do merge together.

I do hope so. Since Sprint isn't going to be in this auction, the more T-Mobile gets of it, the better it is for T-Mobile, and possibly even for Sprint, if they ever do merge together.

Sprint has potential to be great the Orlando, Florida market is an example of how Sprints network should be. Hopefully NGN will make every market like the Orlando, Fl market.

• Like 1

The lower 700 A block is specifically for LTE. It cannot be used for UMTS. Plus, no devices would support UMTS on that frequency.

-Anthony

Thank you for that information.

I'll modify my idea to say keep 5x5 PCS everywhere for Voice/4G/3G, and negotiate for 5x5 PCS in places where they may not have PCS. Athough I'm not sure negotiating for PCS is necessary, since I'm fairly certain T-Mobile has PCS in their complete network since they built upon it just as Sprint did.

Then T-Mobile could use the excess PCS to negotiate for added AWS spectrum to get to 15x15 in low to mid areas, and 20x20 in metro areas. In terms of 600mhz, 10x10 in low to mid areas, 15x15 in metro areas. T-Mobile should continue as they seem to be, in getting as much 5x5 700 as possible for 3g (based on AJ's information).

I got this idea after reading about how T-Mobile is doing some deals with AT&T spectrum swapping, which I believe is a great thing. I'd like to see carriers put aside their competitive differences when dealing with spectrum, so they can trade spectrum that would work best for them in the most efficient, streamlined system possible for their networks, rather than having a mishmash of different spectrum bands differing in various markets.

The lower 700 A block is specifically for LTE. It cannot be used for UMTS. Plus, no devices would support UMTS on that frequency.

No, it is not specifically for LTE.  The Lower 700 MHz A block could be used for W-CDMA -- it is 3GPP standardized as band 12, just as with LTE.  The Lower 700 MHz A block even could be used for two way, narrowband analog radio communication if that is what a licensee wanted to do with it.

AJ

• Like 3

No, it is not specifically for LTE. The Lower 700 MHz A block could be used for W-CDMA -- it is 3GPP standardized as band 12, just as with LTE. The Lower 700 MHz A block even could be used for two way, narrowband analog radio communication if that is what a licensee wanted to do with it.

AJ

Thank you for the updated information, AJ.

Since the 700mhz band can be used for 3g, then I'll modify to say that if T-Mobile were to go by my suggestions, they could use their 5x5 700mhz as a 3g backup, instead of LTE, as its better to have LTE on wider bandwidth.

Although, it would be nice if 700mhz were possible for regular voice, though as long as VoLTE is used on 600mhz, T-Mobile could deploy that in rural areas where they don't currently have coverage and be able to match Verizon's coverage without having to add nearly as many towers as they would with both AWS and PCS.

As an added opinion, I wasn't impressed at all with T-Mobile's AWS-3 auction results. Since AT&T and Dish got the most of the AWS-3 liscenses, followed by Verizon, I think T-Mobile eventually ought to swap those, in exchange to make for more 20x20 AWS markets, and also to make back some of their spending on the 600mhz spectrum.

Well...there goes the idea that Verizon will sit out the 600 MHz auction after today's article even though Verizon is more interested in AWS spectrum at this point. Not surprised that Verizon would take any chance to gobble up any remaining low band spectrum that would be available in a long time. AT&T will most likely participate in the auction to keep up with Verizon and Tmobile is confirmed to be in the auction. We will see in several years how the long term strategy decision for Sprint to skip the 600 MHz auction pays off. It just feels weird that Sprint is so confident in their low band spectrum portfolio that they don't need to add 600 MHz to their portfolio.

Obviously Marcelo has a different opinion than Dan Hesse has on the need for low band spectrum to Sprint's spectrum portfolio because I remember Hesse pushing hard for regulation on low band spectrum and the need for the smaller carriers to compete for coverage. I believe if Hesse were still running things, sprint would be participating in the 600 mhz auction.

• Like 1

Well...there goes the idea that Verizon will sit out the 600 MHz auction after today's article even though Verizon is more interested in AWS spectrum at this point. Not surprised that Verizon would take any chance to gobble up any remaining low band spectrum that would be available in a long time. AT&T will most likely participate in the auction to keep up with Verizon and Tmobile is confirmed to be in the auction. We will see in several years how the long term strategy decision for Sprint to skip the 600 MHz auction pays off. It just feels weird that Sprint is so confident in their low band spectrum portfolio that they don't need to add 600 MHz to their portfolio.

Obviously Marcelo has a different opinion than Dan Hesse has on the need for low band spectrum to Sprint's spectrum portfolio because I remember Hesse pushing hard for regulation on low band spectrum and the need for the smaller carriers to compete for coverage.

I know that initially I was against Sprint's decision, which I later got to agreeing with it, based on all of the complexities and costs, where it could better be spent on NGN.

However, now looking at it again, I think this is a bad decision made by Sprint and on which could drag them behind the other three carriers.

Besides, my outlook on T-Mobile has fluctuated over the past year, with me being enthused by the Dish merger possibility, then backed away when that didn't happen.

Although now knowing DT is finally after all this time backing T-Mobile gives hope they will be serious in getting as much of the reserved spectrum they can, which will improve T-Mobile alot and as a viable third carrier, without a merger.

That leaves Sprint, which may be using the strategy of being in dire need of a merger, though by then it might be too late to get T-Mobile. I'm wondering then if it'll be one of the other carriers which acquire Sprint, or at least its assets.

Obviously Marcelo has a different opinion than Dan Hesse has on the need for low band spectrum to Sprint's spectrum portfolio because I remember Hesse pushing hard for regulation

While the official story is that they feel their spectrum position is adequate I have no doubt that the true motivation is one of cost cutting and Masa/BOD not approving the expenditure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint has potential to be great the Orlando, Florida market is an example of how Sprints network should be. Hopefully NGN will make every market like the Orlando, Fl market.

I still cant get over how great Sprint was in Orlando. I was beyond impressed with the progress as a whole. Im going to be in Tampa most of Friday so lets see how well Sprint fairs there. I know last time I went to Tampa Tmobile had so much band 12 cranked up to the max that it made Sprint's coverage look subpar and that was 5 months ago.
  • Like 6

I still cant get over how great Sprint was in Orlando. I was beyond impressed with the progress as a whole. Im going to be in Tampa most of Friday so lets see how well Sprint fairs there. I know last time I went to Tampa Tmobile had so much band 12 cranked up to the max that it made Sprint's coverage look subpar and that was 5 months ago.

tourists...

I know that initially I was against Sprint's decision, which I later got to agreeing with it, based on all of the complexities and costs, where it could better be spent on NGN.

However, now looking at it again, I think this is a bad decision made by Sprint and on which could drag them behind the other three carriers.

Besides, my outlook on T-Mobile has fluctuated over the past year, with me being enthused by the Dish merger possibility, then backed away when that didn't happen.

Although now knowing DT is finally after all this time backing T-Mobile gives hope they will be serious in getting as much of the reserved spectrum they can, which will improve T-Mobile alot and as a viable third carrier, without a merger.

That leaves Sprint, which may be using the strategy of being in dire need of a merger, though by then it might be too late to get T-Mobile. I'm wondering then if it'll be one of the other carriers which acquire Sprint, or at least its assets.

I agree wholeheartedly on the first paragraph. I think T-Mobile's investment in the 600mhz auction is going to be a lot LESS than their fans wish it will be because it would be extremely short sighted to blow their lead on something that wont even be usable for 4-5 years. They've already mentioned they only plan on buying 600mhz where they can't get 700mhz. 4-5 years is more than enough time for Sprint to catch up AND take the lead. If T-Mobile falls back to 4th place, how will they even build out their 600mhz spectrum? If Sprint actually needs the spectrum, they can just buy it from T-Mobile after they dig themselves into a hole.

It's a surprisingly smart strategy.

• Like 3

I'd love to see T-Mobile end up buying all of the 600 mhz spectrum I mentioned... 15x15 in mid and metro markets, 10x10 in low markets. I was disappointed in what T-Mobile claimed they were only going to purchase 600mhz where they didn't already have 700mhz, which sounds as if they might be going with a 5x5 nationwide lowband strategy.

However, I am hoping that will change with DT's influence, now that they finally seem willing to be helpful towards T-Mobile here. They ought to seperate the 700mhz from the 600mhz, get all the 5x5 700mhz they can around the country for LTE now, then use it for 3g backup later on when the 600mhz is active.

At least have 15x15 in metro markets, 10x10 in mid markets, and 5x5 in low markets, even though I'd like to see them have no less than 10x10 of it for LTE.

The more they get of 600mhz, the better it is for Sprint, if Sprint is able to merge with T-Mobile. I definitely believe that is Sprint'S strategy right now.

I'd love to see T-Mobile end up buying all of the 600 mhz spectrum I mentioned... 15x15 in mid and metro markets, 10x10 in low markets. I was disappointed in what T-Mobile claimed they were only going to purchase 600mhz where they didn't already have 700mhz, which sounds as if they might be going with a 5x5 nationwide lowband strategy.

However, I am hoping that will change with DT's influence, now that they finally seem willing to be helpful towards T-Mobile here. They ought to seperate the 700mhz from the 600mhz, get all the 5x5 700mhz they can around the country for LTE now, then use it for 3g backup later on when the 600mhz is active.

At least have 15x15 in metro markets, 10x10 in mid markets, and 5x5 in low markets, even though I'd like to see them have no less than 10x10 of it for LTE.

The more they get of 600mhz, the better it is for Sprint, if Sprint is able to merge with T-Mobile. I definitely believe that is Sprint'S strategy right now.

I just don't see a nationwide license; I see them buying 600 where they can't buy 700. It would be nice to have nationwide but if they're going into this bidding on reserve (the fact that they even NEED a reserve means something), I just don't see them sweeping the auction like people wish. I see nationwide 600 AND 700mhz no problem though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe sprint is after the 700. Since all phones have all bands it's probably more cost effective to push coalition hub buddies than drop 20+ billion in purchasing and deploying 600

At the price tag above I am sure than can put up enough small cells for us all

• Like 1

Maybe sprint is after the 700. Since all phones have all bands it's probably more cost effective to push coalition hub buddies than drop 20+ billion in purchasing and deploying 600

At the price tag above I am sure than can put up enough small cells for us all

No way is Sprint after the 700 MHz spectrum despite the B12 support.  They would have to deploy new antennas and RRUs for a subset of markets and not to mention certain markets still have TV station interference issues.  Sprint is getting hell just from the San Bernardino 800 MHz reband effort and Mexico/Canada IBEZ alone.  Most of the prized markets for 700A block have been scooped up by Tmobile already that I just don't see it.

• Like 1

What would make more sense is for TMUS to try and get 10x10 nationwide. If they can't do that, then you give up the most expensive markets first (probably urban markets where they already have dense AWS plus 700Mhz anyhow). If you can get the rest of the reserve in the market for very cheep, due to low competition, then you go ahead and get it.

Basically, You buy 600Mhz for coverage first. And anywhere you get 10x10 or greater in 600Mhz, you go ahead and offer to sell the 700Mhz license to Sprint at a profit.

I could totally see Sprint buying 700Mhz licenses down the road in parts of the western US to build out interstate/highway coverage. I'm sure ATT, or other smaller carriers like Cellcom, USCC, C-Spire, et al would be willing to buy some of the remaining licenses.

• Like 1

What would make more sense is for TMUS to try and get 10x10 nationwide. If they can't do that, then you give up the most expensive markets first (probably urban markets where they already have dense AWS plus 700Mhz anyhow). If you can get the rest of the reserve in the market for very cheep, due to low competition, then you go ahead and get it.

Basically, You buy 600Mhz for coverage first. And anywhere you get 10x10 or greater in 600Mhz, you go ahead and offer to sell the 700Mhz license to Sprint at a profit.

I could totally see Sprint buying 700Mhz licenses down the road in parts of the western US to build out interstate/highway coverage. I'm sure ATT, or other smaller carriers like Cellcom, USCC, C-Spire, et al would be willing to buy some of the remaining licenses.

I really like your idea, all except for that I'm now thinking it would be better for T-Mobile to go for a nationwide 15x15 of 600mhz, but then sell all of their 700mhz to Sprint, as a way of making back any extra cash for the 600 mhz purchase.

Then, I think T-Mobile ought to sell all of their PCS spectrum, except for keeping a 5x5 of it for Voice and 3G. In placement of that spectrum, T-Mobile could get a nationwide 15x15 AWS to match their nationwide 15x15 600mhz, then sell their minimal AWS-3 spectrum for extra AWS spectrum to equal 20x20 AWS in large markets and 25x25 AWS in major markets.

I'd also like the idea of if T-Mobile were to just get 10x10 600mhz nationwide, and sell their 700mhz to Sprint, if they also were to sell their minimal purchases of AWS-3 spectrum, along with their PCS spectrum other than keeping 5x5 of it for Voice and 3G, for them to use that extra cash to make major deals for more AWS spectrum.

T-Mobile could have a nationwide 5x5 PCS for Voice and 3G, nationwide 10x10 600mhz for LTE, nationwide 15x15 AWS for LTE that expands to 20x20 for mid/large markets, and 25x25 for major metro markets.

Then use the extra cash not spent on the additional 5x5 of 600mhz for more cell sites. Otherwise, I think the idea of 15x15 600mhz still is good.

I really like your idea, all except for that I'm now thinking it would be better for T-Mobile to go for a nationwide 15x15 of 600mhz, but then sell all of their 700mhz to Sprint, as a way of making back any extra cash for the 600 mhz purchase.

Then, I think T-Mobile ought to sell all of their PCS spectrum, except for keeping a 5x5 of it for Voice and 3G. In placement of that spectrum, T-Mobile could get a nationwide 15x15 AWS to match their nationwide 15x15 600mhz, then sell their minimal AWS-3 spectrum for extra AWS spectrum to equal 20x20 AWS in large markets and 25x25 AWS in major markets.

I'd also like the idea of if T-Mobile were to just get 10x10 600mhz nationwide, and sell their 700mhz to Sprint, if they also were to sell their minimal purchases of AWS-3 spectrum, along with their PCS spectrum other than keeping 5x5 of it for Voice and 3G, for them to use that extra cash to make major deals for more AWS spectrum.

T-Mobile could have a nationwide 5x5 PCS for Voice and 3G, nationwide 10x10 600mhz for LTE, nationwide 15x15 AWS for LTE that expands to 20x20 for mid/large markets, and 25x25 for major metro markets.

Then use the extra cash not spent on the additional 5x5 of 600mhz for more cell sites. Otherwise, I think the idea of 15x15 600mhz still is good.

Welcome to wireless Fantasy Island...

222E61968-D0E3-6805-1975E16764467B9B.jpg

AJ

• Like 8