Galaxy Note Edge (SMN915P)

z250kid

Soooo, Apparently my local Corporate Sprint store here in NY will not have the Note Edge on hand to purchase tomorrow. Only way to buy it is via online or in stores for delivery at a later date. Damn it.

TS

That is the case with every store. They are available for Direct Ship only. Same with the Nexus 6.

Sent from my Sprint LG G3

I called some stores and one of them said they will have them but to get there early.

You will still be in line behind Edward Furlong, Steven Tyler, and some green guy.

AJ

• Like 1

It's this or the Nexus 6, but the N6 lower nit screen performance is a slight deterrence for me. Who here is definitely buying this. rural agreement cat 6 device with great screen, and camera performance is as future proof as it gets. N6 and lollipop or this ehlp a brother make the rational choice. I know this cost more but I will only need to upgrade fora 64 bit CPU rather than have to upgrade for cat 6 future speeds this has it baked in. If this were 64 bit I would not even think about this. The Note 4 is omitted purely because it has no rural roaming or cat 6 feature.

It's this or the Nexus 6, but the N6 lower nit screen performance is a slight deterrence for me. Who here is definitely buying this. rural agreement cat 6 device with great screen, and camera performance is as future proof as it gets. N6 and lollipop or this ehlp a brother make the rational choice. I know this cost more but I will only need to upgrade fora 64 bit CPU rather than have to upgrade for cat 6 future speeds this has it baked in. If this were 64 bit I would not even think about this. The Note 4 is omitted purely because it has no rural roaming or cat 6 feature.

I am not sure where you got the idea that the Sprint variant Galaxy Note Edge supports CCA/RRPP LTE roaming bands.  It does not.  It is just a typical Sprint tri band handset.  In that regard, it is no different from the Sprint variant Galaxy Note 4.

AJ

• Like 1

I am not sure where you got the idea that the Sprint variant Galaxy Note Edge supports CCA/RRPP LTE roaming bands.  It does not.  It is just a typical Sprint tri band handset.  In that regard, it is no different from the Sprint variant Galaxy Note 4.

AJ

Nexus 6 it is then.

It's disappointing that uplink CA is not supported at all.

To my knowledge, not a single North American handset has ever supported uplink carrier aggregation -- not for DC-HSPA+, not for LTE.  Only downlink carriers may be aggregated.  And I do not see that changing soon.  Uplink carrier aggregation, since it would affect uplink transmission, would just be a big battery drain on handsets.

AJ

Nexus 6 it is then.

To my knowledge, not a single North American handset has ever supported uplink carrier aggregation -- not for DC-HSPA+, not for LTE.  Only downlink carriers may be aggregated.  And I do not see that changing soon.  Uplink carrier aggregation, since it would affect uplink transmission, would just be a big battery drain on handsets.

AJ

AJ

I was told this by some one but after reading this this morning I ordered a Nexus 6 that should arrive by Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for your always knowledgeable response.

I went to that store that told me they have them and it ended up being a lie. Luckily I had the day off otherwise i would be pissed that on any other work day I would drive there at lunch to end up with nothing but air and broken promises.

They took my info and said they will call me when it comes in but I'm not holding my breath. Fool me once...

I can't order it online since I'm placing it on easy pay and doing ein swaps on a few devices, so I'll just continue checking the stores.

TS out

Fool me once...

Shame on you. Fool me twice...you can't get fooled again.

At least, that is what George W. Bush thinks they say in Texas and Tennessee.

AJ

• Like 4

To my knowledge, not a single North American handset has ever supported uplink carrier aggregation -- not for DC-HSPA+, not for LTE. Only downlink carriers may be aggregated. And I do not see that changing soon. Uplink carrier aggregation, since it would affect uplink transmission, would just be a big battery drain on handsets.

Uplink CA is new to LTE-A (3GPP Rel 10+). Rel 10 specified 3 new UE categories- 6, 7, and 8. Rel 11 introduced two more- 9 & 10.

I'm not sure about Cat 8 (not that it really matters, since no mobile device is going to be supporting 8x8 MIMO anytime soon), but Cat 7 & 10 appear to support 2-way uplink CA as a prerequisite to reaching their theoretical upload spec of 102 Mbps.

After I wrote the post you've quoted, I did some digging, and it appears most if not all devices next year with a SD 808 or 810 should be Cat 7-ready:

Anandtech:

Both SoCs have a MDM9x35 derived LTE Category 6/7 modem. The SoCs feature essentially the same modem core as a 9x35 discrete modem, but with one exception: Qualcomm enabled support for 3 carrier aggregation LTE (up from 2). The discrete 9x35 modem implementation can aggregate up to two 20MHz LTE carriers in order to reach Cat 6 LTE's 300Mbps peak download rate. The 808/810, on the other hand, can combine up to three 20MHz LTE carriers (although you'll likely see 3x CA used with narrower channels, e.g. 20MHz + 5MHz + 5MHz or 20MHz + 10MHz + 10MHz).

Enabling 3x LTE CA requires two RF transceiver front ends: Qualcomm's WTR3925 and WTR3905. The WTR3925 is a single chip, 2x CA RF transceiver and you need the WTR3905 to add support for combining another carrier. Category 7 LTE is also supported by the hardware (100Mbps uplink), however due to operator readiness Qualcomm will be promoting the design primarily as category 6.

So thanks to a die shrink (28 to 20nm), Qualcomm has been able to move the Gobi 9x35 on-die, unlike the 805 package, where it is a separate part. If nothing else, this guarantees that a SD 808/810 device will support *at least* 2x20 downlink CA rather than being cheap and using an older Cat 4 modem (cough, cough, Galaxy Note 4).

While this updated Gobi 9x35 still only supports 2x20MHz downlink CA, there is now room for a second transceiver to aggregate one more 20MHz carrier. Since it is said that "the hardware supports Cat 7", and the standalone 9x35 modem (like the one in the Note Edge) does not, I believe it can be reasonably inferred that the additional transceiver- the WTR3905- adds support for another 20 MHz carrier for both the downlink *and* uplink, for a total of 3*20MHz down & 2*20MHz up. The WTR3905, while separate, is being shipped automatically alongside the new SoCs (at no extra cost), so an OEM is very unlikely to omit it, since it wouldn't lower their BOM.

So then it would come down to network support. Will Sprint enable aggregation in the uplink if devices support it? The new 8T8R radios, being Rel 10/11 certified, *should* support it.

Rel 12, due out soon, will add even more CA combinations, such as aggregating 2-3 *non-contiguous* uplink carriers (which the 8T8R radios may be able to support with a software update), B25 intra-band CA, and rudimentary FDD-TDD CA (e.g. B25+B41). I imagine those last two items are a long ways off, however, as they would likely require new PCS RRUs, since the current ones only support Rel 8 + some Rel 9 features via software patches.

• Like 1

Uplink CA is new to LTE-A (3GPP Rel 10+). Rel 10 specified 3 new UE categories- 6, 7, and 8. Rel 11 introduced two more- 9 & 10.

I'm not sure about Cat 8 (not that it really matters, since no mobile device is going to be supporting 8x8 MIMO anytime soon), but Cat 7 & 10 appear to support 2-way uplink CA as a prerequisite to reaching their theoretical upload spec of 102 Mbps.

After I wrote the post you've quoted, I did some digging, and it appears most if not all devices next year with a SD 808 or 810 should be Cat 7-ready:

So thanks to a die shrink (28 to 20nm), Qualcomm has been able to move the Gobi 9x35 on-die, unlike the 805 package, where it is a separate part. If nothing else, this guarantees that a SD 808/810 device will support *at least* 2x20 downlink CA rather than being cheap and using an older Cat 4 modem (cough, cough, Galaxy Note 4).

While this updated Gobi 9x35 still only supports 2x20MHz downlink CA, there is now room for a second transceiver to aggregate one more 20MHz carrier. Since it is said that "the hardware supports Cat 7", and the standalone 9x35 modem (like the one in the Note Edge) does not, I believe it can be reasonably inferred that the additional transceiver- the WTR3905- adds support for another 20 MHz carrier for both the downlink *and* uplink, for a total of 3*20MHz down & 2*20MHz up. The WTR3905, while separate, is being shipped automatically alongside the new SoCs (at no extra cost), so an OEM is very unlikely to omit it, since it wouldn't lower their BOM.

So then it would come down to network support. Will Sprint enable aggregation in the uplink if devices support it? The new 8T8R radios, being Rel 10/11 certified, *should* support it.

Rel 12, due out soon, will add even more CA combinations, such as aggregating 2-3 *non-contiguous* uplink carriers (which the 8T8R radios may be able to support with a software update), B25 intra-band CA, and rudimentary FDD-TDD CA (e.g. B25+B41). I imagine those last two items are a long ways off, however, as they would likely require new PCS RRUs, since the current ones only support Rel 8 + some Rel 9 features via software patches.

Remember the movie " A Fish Called Wanda"..a classic so after reading the above I have to ask

"what was the middle part"?   Man, this is deep stuff!!!

• Like 1

Remember the movie " A Fish Called Wanda"..a classic so after reading the above I have to ask

"what was the middle part"? Man, this is deep stuff!!!

One of my favorite movies of all time. "I looked at the clock... because I was saying to myself... It's five to seven, where could he be going with that sawed off shotgun?"

"Wa wa wa wa wa wa anda!  SHhhhh! Don't tell anyone about the key...Wa wa wa    wa nda..."

Great, Robert glad to see someone out there loves the classics..Planes Trains & Automobiles is another

of my alltime favs along with Caddy Shack...dating myself here

Stay warm up there...remember the Sioux managed to survive those winters for eons until someone

killed off all the Buffalo...( mild political statement here..apologies to those offended)

• Like 1

Stay warm up there...remember the Sioux managed to survive those winters for eons until someone

killed off all the Buffalo...

Robert ate them all for their wings.  The buffalo, not the Sioux.

AJ

• Like 2

I went to that store that told me they have them and it ended up being a lie. Luckily I had the day off otherwise i would be pissed that on any other work day I would drive there at lunch to end up with nothing but air and broken promises.

They took my info and said they will call me when it comes in but I'm not holding my breath. Fool me once...

I can't order it online since I'm placing it on easy pay and doing ein swaps on a few devices, so I'll just continue checking the stores.

TS out

If you used the same avatar here as in sprint id realized who i was talking to lol 

Your comment made it sound like the 805 not having a modem was a die size limitation. The Snapdragon 800 and 801 have integrated modems already. The 808 / 810 getting an integrated modem isn't purely about die shrink - the 805 didn't have one for a couple reasons.

1. It was originally developed towards targeting tablets with high performance needs. An integrated modem part is wasted on such products as most tablets are sold without a modem.

2. Rather than die size, the die shrink means the 808/810 are built on the same die process as the 9x35 - both are 20nm parts and thus can be done in one single monolithic SOC.