Karma Go

MarshieZ

I wish I had the money for it, and Sprint LTE use it on.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

Well, they do the "$50 off sale" a lot. Like a lot, a lot. So don't feel bad if you can't do it right now!

I need to do a better job of looking to see when thy do sales and post it here... I've even missed out on some of their sales when it's BOGO for their data. 

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me if you get a static public IP address with the Neverstop?  I'm considering switching from an AT&T hotspot and hate that I only get a strict NAT and can't use an IP camera because they don't give public IP addresses. 

Also, would a DDWRT repeater router work with the Karma hotspot?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if you get a static public IP address with the Neverstop?  I'm considering switching from an AT&T hotspot and hate that I only get a strict NAT and can't use an IP camera because they don't give public IP addresses. 

Also, would a DDWRT repeater router work with the Karma hotspot?

Thanks

I'd have to look into and check on the static public IP address. I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess yes it does because it remembers your devices so you do not have to sign-in every time.

And yes, if you would need to extend your signal, I have extended my signal before with one. But I don't encourage it, since I'm sure Karma put the "3 device policy" in place for a reason. That is if you plan to use it in a way to get more than 3 devices connected. 

this thing is pretty awesome.

that said, if you have more than 3 devices, be prepared for some extremely annoying behavior having to re-log in any time a 4th device wants to connect.

The device seems to remember only the last 3 devices, and when the 4th connects you must 'pause' one of those 3.

It does *not* seem to drop the device even when it is no longer connected.

and of course you must re-log in every time that device gets 'paused'.

some of you may think that is a small price to pay for unlimited 5 meg service, and it is.

that does not make it any less annoying and unfriendly.

• Like 2

this thing is pretty awesome.

that said, if you have more than 3 devices, be prepared for some extremely annoying behavior having to re-log in any time a 4th device wants to connect.

The device seems to remember only the last 3 devices, and when the 4th connects you must 'pause' one of those 3.

It does *not* seem to drop the device even when it is no longer connected.

and of course you must re-log in every time that device gets 'paused'.

some of you may think that is a small price to pay for unlimited 5 meg service, and it is.

that does not make it any less annoying and unfriendly.

I'm still on Refuel myself, so I haven't experienced this yet. When you have multiple devices connected, do each of your devices still get the 5 Mbps? I've been curious about this...

And about the debug, I was thinking about that when I first got it myself. I would love to peek at what band it camps on and such. But I don't have the foggiest idea and truthfully don't even know how you could do it. So if anyone else figures it out, count me in on that info!

Glad you like it though! After you have had it for a while and played around with it, would love to hear an update.

I'm still on Refuel myself, so I haven't experienced this yet. When you have multiple devices connected, do each of your devices still get the 5 Mbps? I've been curious about this...

And about the debug, I was thinking about that when I first got it myself. I would love to peek at what band it camps on and such. But I don't have the foggiest idea and truthfully don't even know how you could do it. So if anyone else figures it out, count me in on that info!

Glad you like it though! After you have had it for a while and played around with it, would love to hear an update.

If there is enough capacity left on Band 25 or 26 Yes each will get 5Mbps.. Band 41 - you bet each one will get 5Mbps

Looks like data is being tunneled through a VPN or proxy with some compression.. and their metering of data usage

• Like 1

Data Sale! Just got an email from Karma, starting today and going until next Monday, you can get double your data for the same price.

Buy 5 GB at $59, get 5 GB free & Buy 10 GB at $99, get 10 GB free.

I will post this too in the OP.

I've tested a few times now, and it appears the 5mbs is shared for all your active devices.

I've done a few app updates simultaneously on separate devices and it consistently seems to split evenly across any active downloads.

On idevices, you can use imonitor to see download speeds, and android I use internet speed meter.

I've tested a few times now, and it appears the 5mbs is shared for all your active devices.

I've done a few app updates simultaneously on separate devices and it consistently seems to split evenly across any active downloads.

On idevices, you can use imonitor to see download speeds, and android I use internet speed meter.

Are you sure you're connected to Band 41 and not Band 25/26 where capacity is limited?

There is no way, that I'm aware of, to be sure of anything on this karma go device.

But I can tell you that in all locations I have tested, that my other devices are consistently on b41 at the same time as my karma go testing.

This also fits with kama's FAQ's which state that your 5mbs is shared across your devices (while not interfering with a different accounts 5mbs).

Now the pay as you go plan may very well be different, but the unlimited plan is definitely, in my experience, 5mbs shared across all your devices.

I tested this like;

start a large app update on android, note that speed varies between 500-600k (~5mbs).

start a large app update on ios, note that speed on both varies between 200-300k each.

every time I've done simultaneous downloads, it works out the same.

If you are experiencing something different, please elaborate on the details involved.

edit: karma faq @ https://yourkarma.com/help/neverstop/how-does-the-5Mbps-speed-work

There is no way, that I'm aware of, to be sure of anything on this karma go device.

But I can tell you that in all locations I have tested, that my other devices are consistently on b41 at the same time as my karma go testing.

This also fits with kama's FAQ's which state that your 5mbs is shared across your devices (while not interfering with a different accounts 5mbs).

Now the pay as you go plan may very well be different, but the unlimited plan is definitely, in my experience, 5mbs shared across all your devices.

I tested this like;

start a large app update on android, note that speed varies between 500-600k (~5mbs).

start a large app update on ios, note that speed on both varies between 200-300k each.

every time I've done simultaneous downloads, it works out the same.

If you are experiencing something different, please elaborate on the details involved.

edit: karma faq @ https://yourkarma.com/help/neverstop/how-does-the-5Mbps-speed-work

Ah that may be why, I'm on pay as you go.

It's been almost a week since I've been on here to go through everything, but here is a "somewhat late" update on sales. Remember to look at the first original post for any sales going on! And if you find a sale that's not listed, please let me know and I'll add it.

Double Your Data - (December 14th-24th):

Purchase 5GB of data at $59, get another 5GB free (10GB for $59)

Purchase 10GB of data at $99, get another 10GB free (20GB for $99)

Extra $50 off Karma (December 14th-???)

Extra $50 off a Karma device when you choose the Neverstop plan at checkout

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NEVERSTOP UPDATE

We launched Neverstop two months ago and the usage has blown our minds.

We couldn’t be more excited about your appetite to be online while on the go. But we were surprised to learn how many of you are also using it heavily at home. We've seen lots of you binge watch Netflix in HD all day, back up your hard drives over the internet, and even connect your Xboxes through ingenious means. It’s a glimpse of how the internet should be, and we love it… but it's putting a strain on the service and it’s not what the product is meant for today.​

So, to make sure that Neverstop continues to work seamlessly for as many people as possible, we have to make some changes to the service. We began running tests to optimize the service, including lowering speeds. Our engineers are working hard to find the right balance of always accessible worry-free internet, at a fair price, so you'll likely see speeds change over the next few days while we try to fine-tune that balance.

We will continue to get you online so you can do what’s most important to you when on-the-go: things like email, streaming, and browsing. But, we need to reduce the extreme usage cases. If you find that Neverstop doesn’t fit your needs, use our mobile apps to switch to Refuel, or head here for a refund.

As we figure this out, we want to take into account what is most important to you as a Neverstop customer. To get your input, we put together a survey so you can help us improve Neverstop.

Ultimately our goal is that you never have to worry about getting online whether you’re at the office, home or the spaces in between. That’s Neverstop’s future. Today, we will make Neverstop the right solution for your on-the-go needs.

Thanks,

Steven van Wel

Just got this email from Karma today, speeds for me have been limited to half of the 5Mbps promised all day. Should be interesting to see where this leads. So much for "no catch unlimited".

I do not have one of these but let's think about the business model of NeverStop a little:

• Unlimited internet at 5mb/s
  • 5 mb/s symmetrical is more than fast enough for most current home use other than multiple simultaneous video streams but it should work well for 1 HD stream. 
  • Easy to defeat limit of 3 devices in the logon process by putting a WiFi extender in front of it and then logging in through that to provide access to all the devices in a home or business.
  • Works anywhere the Sprint network reaches including places where there is no land line internet.  You do want LTE on Sprint to get the fastest speeds but it even works at a slower speed on Sprint 3G.
  • Better ping time and more cost effective than Satellite internet.
  • Faster upload speed and similar download speed to AT&T's fastest DSL speeds of 6mb/s down and 1 mb/s up - http://www.att.net/speedtiers
  • Price point equal to about 10GB of their data which means they do not make the money they planned on if their average usage is above 10GB of data per month.

In my honest opinion, they should have made NeverStop a $20 per month add on to their refuel data packages that runs at 512kb/s whenever your refuel data runs out.  There still would be some abuse but I cannot see NeverStop being profitable for them any other way.

• Like 3

In my honest opinion, they should have made NeverStop a $20 per month add on to their refuel data packages that runs at 512kb/s whenever your refuel data runs out.  There still would be some abuse but I cannot see NeverStop being profitable for them any other way.

I don't really care about uncapped speeds but I would gladly pay for tiered data speeds. Eg. 512kbps for $50 or $100 for 1.5mbit/s, etc.

I don't use it as a home internet replacement (I have FTTH), I just don't want to have to worry about caps when I'm on the go.

Edited by whfsdude

Wireless abusers go and find their next host, and then destroy it for everyone else.  If you are a large home based user, get a viable landline option.  If it was just rural customers with no options, this probably wouldn't be a problem for wireless companies.  It's the urban/suburban people who use wireless for their exclusive high usage ISP replacement.  There are a lot more of them and they are on networks that are already well taxed.

It's a shame really.  We just can't have nice things.  At least Karma is being pretty reasonable in how they are handling this.

• Like 8

Wireless abusers go and find their next host, and then destroy it for everyone else.  If you are a large home based user, get a viable landline option.  If it was just rural customers with no options, this probably wouldn't be a problem for wireless companies.  It's the urban/suburban people who use wireless for their exclusive high usage ISP replacement.  There are a lot more of them and they are on networks that are already well taxed.

It's a shame really.  We just can't have nice things.  At least Karma is being pretty reasonable in how they are handling this.

Next best thing would be a Verizon Grandfathered UDP..

But rental on those could be 150$ / month.. Those data abusers too cheap to shell out that much

In the back of my mind and deep in my gut, I had a sinking feeling this would happen "eventually." 

However, as mentioned, Karma IS being responsible and handling it well to keep everyone happy. I hope the end result will be decent and it doesn't kill this business model. Many of you are against unlimited data, and I see your point. However there are many who have no other choice for internet in some cases and NEED something like this.

It's very unfortunate that the people who do have 50+ Mbps internet, have to abuse this for the many who don't have it. I'm rooting for Karma here because the next move they make with this will either make a lot of people unhappy or possibly kill this entire thing because nobody will want it. 

It's too bad people had to be greedy and ruin neverstop for everyone else.

I've been contemplating replacing my Sprint LivePro with a karma go. Their plans would fit my sporadic usage a lot better, but the device itself is rather lackluster when compared side by side. I suppose I could always carry both and WiFi tether the LivePro. It would be really cool if they could do a byod program like Ting has for their service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/8/10736326/karma-neverstop-data-speed-reduced

I guess too many people cutting the cord in favor of the Karma with never stop

interesting that the verge sees a time when home internet can be provided via wireless networks,  i don't really see that as a possibility or even a need, other than very rural areas without access to wire line internet.

• Like 1