Karma Go

MarshieZ

From June 18th... very good update and now just some small things to double check!

https://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-go-interoperability-testing-finished

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of 6 pm, July 2nd:

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c5d349c9d6&id=7fdb628a37&e=8dccbb209b

YAY! I actually might get it by the end of the month! I really can't wait to have it in my hands, it'll be a useful business partner for me.  :)

• Like 1

I've been messaging Karma and asking about possible carrier aggregation on the Go... 

When I asked they said "We won't support carrier aggregation for now, but we do support band 41." 

So... It could be a possibility that it could become compatible in the future. When they finish getting back to me, I'll update the O.P. with their answer. 

O.P. updated.

Here... We... Gooooooo!

As of today, shipping will start in 10 days, all of the pre-orders will be fulfilled within 45 days.

While they didn't mention it in this article, Karma sent me an email saying they are having a BOGO sale on data where what you buy (either 1GB, 5GB or 10GB) they will include the same amount that you bought for FREE! I'm not sure if this is for everyone or just people who pre-ordered a Go.

But anyways you can get 20GB of data for $99... :tu: 

https://blog.yourkarma.com/karma-go-shipping-starts-in-10-days  

Here's a great little "Getting Started" video they put together too... I'm soooo looking forward to seeing how the RF performance is on it!

I'm quite happy they are doing this... "Updating our login process"

For some, people like that they can use Facebook to do a quick log in to a website. However as they mentioned in the article, there is a security risk as well as a possible hiccup in trying to get on to the hotspot because of the Facebook pop-up window. 

So hovering over some of the Twitter comments on Karma's page, it looks like pre-orders from October (like mine) will arrive within 2-3 weeks...

https://twitter.com/yourKarma/status/624302938865946624

Got my Karma Go in today. Works like a charm, to the point that I went ahead and dropped my data-only postpaid lines (eating the ETF, but I can live with that, particularly since I still have 3GB of tethering on my phone).

It's been a long road since I ordered the Go back in September (the 23rd). But having a hotspot that doesn't cost me per month to keep going...that will work wherever Sprint has 3G or LTE...is nice.

• Like 1

Got my Karma Go in today. Works like a charm, to the point that I went ahead and dropped my data-only postpaid lines (eating the ETF, but I can live with that, particularly since I still have 3GB of tethering on my phone).

It's been a long road since I ordered the Go back in September (the 23rd). But having a hotspot that doesn't cost me per month to keep going...that will work wherever Sprint has 3G or LTE...is nice.

That is AWESOME to hear!

The same reason why I wanted one. Seeing as I'm going to use mine more for my business, it's nice to know I'll have as much as I need when I need it.

Did you have any hiccups or slow points in setting up or activation? How long did it take for you? Also, how is RF performance on it?

Finally got mine - I really hate FedEx Home delivery especially with Mondays being a day off for them and slow turnaround. Looks like someone stepped on mine, but turned out to be in good condition. I am at least happy it works since I lost my WiMax 'Classic' Karma.

Haven't tested it much except checking if it works indoors in a building built in 1907 and retrofitted to be used for office space - it seems to connect okay and got crappy speeds and reception (expected, it is indoors in a 100+ yo building built with brick and steel). Odd placement of the power button and USB port (which no longer has a cover). One of the Karma videos showcased the LEDs running like KITT's scanner alongside with the Knight Rider theme - yeah, its here to stay.

I think the Karma blog states is that there were issues just before shipping, which required Karma to do some quick testing and ultimately, for now, activate all of the hotspots at the warehouse just before shipping them out. I think the CEO said that it 'saves 30 seconds' or something another, and this 'issue' at some point soon.

Depending if I get up in a few hours to take the train (or not), I'll test it with a few apps (Speedtest, Ingress (app and Intel page), Netflix, and GP Music) and see how it fares. Its probably still capped at 8 Mb/s plus the VPN overhead, it'll be more like 2-4 Mb/s to me, but that's okay.

Seems to be similar in looks to the 'Classic' except maybe 5-10% bigger, and definitely has a bit more weight. Nice touches with the included charging cable (no brick) and felt case.

Seeing how this hotspot has Sprint's LTE and 3G network capability, it already has some promise. Just wondering if it has access to the other LTE bands. What would really be nice if it had CA. But, that's wishful thinking and I'll take what I can get.

If this goes well, I might get a second or third, though this would take away from S4GRU funds :D

• Like 1

Hooray! Just one hour ago I received my shipment email that my Karma is heading my way - finally - so I hope I'll have it to use for work on the 14th!?

Also found a great YouTube Review:

• Like 2

I'm absolutely AMAZED (good amazed, not sarcastic amazed) at the comments on Karma's blog! The speedtest numbers are very, very good and people are giving awesome feedback. Which I was really hoping is what would happen...

Because as we see more positivity, the more and more we can keep saying: "And remember, it's on SPRINTS network!"

I'm in line to receive mine this Tuesday and not a moment too soon either, because I will be able to use it for work the same weekend.  :)

• 1 month later...

So I have now had my Karma for about a month... so here's my review on it.

The day I got it I was so extremely busy I never updated this thread so I decided to get some road use on it first and then update. So right now it's been my business buddy. I keep it so I have a secure connection for my laptops and tablet as I go meet with clients and while I'm working so I don't need to rely on finding/holding onto Wi-Fi. It's one of my biggest pet peeves to use open Wi-Fi.

The moment I turned it on it took me about 5 minutes total to get online with all my devices. After the setup, every time I need to connect it's super fast and easy. I also noticed that every time I looked at the device itself, I never had less than 3 rings (full signal). As for speeds I was first connected to a full NV complete tower with B41 - which I usually get 30-40 mbps on - I pulled about 15 down which is plenty for what I'm using it for. From there on I was mainly pulling 5-12 mbps down, which still is plenty fast for what I bought it for. It also is the advertised speeds. All towers that I were on had minimum of B25/B26.

I have had only one person connect to it while I was working, but everything on that end has worked flawlessly. I received an email letting me know I had a new person connect and I got a free 100 mb. Not bad!

It was well worth the wait for me, and is a great way to give clients and guests Wi-Fi with my business name in without digging into my bucket of data. The battery life is also as advertised though I have gotten 6 hours out of it a couple times. So far, a month in, I'm pleased and hope I can get a lot of use out of it!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ordered  mine today, Can't wait :)

Did they give you an estimated delivery date? 

Let me know how you like it & if you have any questions with it. I've gotten a lot of road use out of it already!  :D

Yes, I just am now able to post about this... but you guys beat me too it!  :P

For all the nay-sayers of Karma out there, now what do you think? This opens up a whole lot of options for people now, and seeing as it's truly unlimited at a maximum speed of 5 mbps, this is an awesome deal for people.

If they were to disable everything but Band 41, they might as well not even bother selling the device or service. There is currently not enough B41 coverage for it yet. LTE only device, maybe. But B41 only at this stage of the game would kill them. Even using it as is, I only average about 8-15 mbps even on a tower I get 40-60 mbps from on my G3. It's not a free for all with this hotspot.

I will be updating the original post to reflect the new plan once it comes out. I very well may be doing this for my business in the future... And if any of you do decide to switch to this option please give us your review and how well it works for you.

This new $50 plan is perfect for those who could only get service from Clearwire before.

Absolutely, and in fact when I saw the title of the article in my email, that's the exact thought I had!

This plan should give those who want truly unlimited what they want, while keeping the network safe from strain for those who worry about unlimited plans.