Is there band 26 available in LA?

I was wondering if anyone has noticed band 26 in LA. So far I have been unable to connect to band 26 in Santa Monica, Westwood, Sherman oaks and Beverly Hills. I noticed band 41 a few times in Westwood with subpar download speeds (about 13 with 3 bars, similar upload speeds which is good). But i have not noticed band 26 at all yet. 

In Houston band 26 is widely available. 

I was wondering if anyone can comment on this. Getting frustrated with Sprint. I'm using iPhone 6

Edited by mc4spr

No and not for a while.

Give your thanks to San Bernardino County who is cockblocking the entire southern California and southern Nevada region.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Why is that? how come nextel could use the frequency? band 26 in Houston fills in a lot of areas quite nicely. Is 800 MHz frequency blocked in SoCal for voice/3g as well?

Can u explain on the timeline a little

Thanks so much

Why is that? how come nextel could use the frequency? band 26 in Houston fills in a lot of areas quite nicely. Is 800 MHz frequency blocked in SoCal for voice/3g as well?

Can u explain on the timeline a little

Thanks so much

SMR was interleaved with Nextel sharing it with public safety organizations.

Sprint has been paying and paid these said organizations to vacate the spectrum so sprint can use wideband carriers on it (ie. 1x and LTE vs Iden and etc).

San Bernardino County PSO has not vacated the spectrum and has been constantly applying for extensions from the fcc where they've been arguing that it's been very costly and time consuming to move form the existing spectrum.

Fcc along with sprint has gotten sick of them but can't do much until they finally finish rebanding sometime next year.

• Like 1

1x800 exists in Los Angeles. It's ubiquitous anywhere North of LAX. Someone else can explain the details, but CDMA can use narrow enough channels that it doesn't interfere with the stragglers in San Bernardino County.

South of LA has IBEZ issues with Mexico.

thats unfortunate, without the low frequency, there is never a hope for a consistent LTE connection on sprint. More surprisingly was the speed that I noticed on band 41 (13 down and up). Was kind of hoping for more for such a high frequency 

thats unfortunate, without the low frequency, there is never a hope for a consistent LTE connection on sprint. More surprisingly was the speed that I noticed on band 41 (13 down and up). Was kind of hoping for more for such a high frequency 

What does frequency have to do with speed?

• Like 1

What does frequency have to do with speed?

not so much with speed but more bandwidth and capacity. so naturally it can accommodate more people and less decrease on data speeds. Maybe I'm wrong

not so much with speed but more bandwidth and capacity. so naturally it can accommodate more people and less decrease on data speeds. Maybe I'm wrong

It's all about the amount of spectrum used. 5MHz at 800 has the same speed and capacity as 5Mhz at 2500. Band 41 uses 20MHz (TDD-LTE) whereas 5x5MHz (FDD-LTE) is used for 800 and 1900.

Sent from my LG G3

• Like 3

It's all about the amount of spectrum used. 5MHz at 800 has the same speed and capacity as 5Mhz at 2500. Band 41 uses 20MHz (TDD-LTE) whereas 5x5MHz (FDD-LTE) is used for 800 and 1900.

Sent from my LG G3

I understand your point. But higher frequency has a higher energy and propagates less than a lower frequency signal. so given the same amount of spectrum, a higher frequency should be able to carry more data. otherwise, whats the tradeoff between 2.5 GHz vs 800 Mhz frequency? when 800 penetrates better than 2.5? 

I understand your point. But higher frequency has a higher energy and propagates less than a lower frequency signal. so given the same amount of spectrum, a higher frequency should be able to carry more data. otherwise, whats the tradeoff between 2.5 GHz vs 800 Mhz frequency? when 800 penetrates better than 2.5?

The tradeoff is more spectrum. Frequency has no bearing on speed or capacity. The wider the pipe, the more capacity/speed.

Sent from my LG G3

• Like 3

No and not for a while.

Give your thanks to San Bernardino County who is cockblocking the entire southern California and southern Nevada region.

So is san Bernardino county the only spectrum squatter left that is preventing LTE 800 from being deployed? All of the OC has already rebanded to allow Sprint to deploy LTE 800?

So is san Bernardino county the only spectrum squatter left that is preventing LTE 800 from being deployed? All of the OC has already rebanded to allow Sprint to deploy LTE 800?

The OC is subjected to the IBEZ blackout, so San Bernardino county isn't affecting them too much. 

I'm not an EE, nor do I pretend to be, but this formula for channel capacity might help.  Notice how channel capacity is related to bandwidth not frequency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon–Hartley_theorem

Yep, the Shannon-Hartley theorem is the historical foundation for modern digital communications.

AJ

• Like 4

And for the record, I, too, am not an EE -- but I regularly am mistaken for one -- even though I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

AJ

• Like 2

Yep, the Shannon-Hartley theorem is the historical foundation for modern digital communications.

AJ

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't say the same thing.  Like maybe between 20-25 times. 

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't say the same thing.  Like maybe between 20-25 times. 

You should also add the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem to your daily recitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem

AJ

• Like 2

AJ, you and I both know that the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem is complete and utter horse dung. 

The vinyl LP adherents would certainly say so.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I only took basic physics for premedical requisites but from what I remember the higher the frequency the higher the energy. How does that play in wireless industry? there has to be an advantage to a higher frequency where as in lower frequency the electromagnetic wave travels longer and penetrates better

I only took basic physics for premedical requisites but from what I remember the higher the frequency the higher the energy. How does that play in wireless industry? there has to be an advantage to a higher frequency where as in lower frequency the electromagnetic wave travels longer and penetrates better

For all intents and purposes, higher frequency spectrum has no advantages over the lower frequencies. In fact, higher frequencies are at a disadvantage to lower frequencies. That's why there was such a fight over the 700 holdings, and such drooling over the supposed 600 auctions (that may or may not happen). The only reason Sprint is gung ho about it's 2.5GHz holdings is because it has so much of it. 

• Like 1