Off the map - Sorry Las Vegas

orangeblue

I received a message. Apparently the new maps were used with static data when they were creating them. When it was decided to go with the new maps, there was not a map refresh done before going live. They are scrambling to correct this. Someone has egg on their face. Because lots of people make buying decisions based on this map.

They may revert back to the old maps temporarily until they can figure this out. What a mess.

I hope they have some sort of version control in place with their web tech (Git or SVN). They'd just need to roll back the changes and redeploy.

I hope they have some sort of version control in place with their web tech (Git or SVN). They'd just need to roll back the changes and redeploy.

The person that messaged me made it sound like the rollback was imminent and going to happen any minute.  That was over 24 hours ago.   :scratch:

The person that messaged me made it sound like the rollback was imminent and going to happen any minute. That was over 24 hours ago. :scratch:

I know someone who works on sprint.com as a usability analyst. I'll send a message & ask what's up. (And also ask if they can surface an API to get coverage info overlaid on better map tiles.)

• Like 3

Sprint's coverage map seems to be corrected now, it shows the latest update as of today.

One thing I have discovered about this map is that the LTE coverage isn't always as overstated as we think it is. If you zoom in enough to get the "Turbo/Best/Fair" ranges, it seems fairly accurate to me -- with one major caveat. You need to have your device in LTE-only mode to see these results. It seems as if their "fair" LTE areas should really be labeled "you will be kicked back to 3G here". Also, this is with my experience with a Nexus 5, a stellar RF performer.

-Mike

If you see Robert's post earlier, this is an old map version. All the launches from the last several months were lost. They're working on a fix.

Sent from my LG G3

Yes I Know that it was a broke link from a few months ago. I was just saying it looks like central Illinois barley has LTE.

I was just saying it looks like central Illinois barley has LTE.

What about central Illinois wheat and corn?

AJ

• Like 3

I do web development. Everything is usually stored in a content management system but sometimes to do upgrades you have to break things and it makes it difficult to go back depending on where you are in the process. Sometimes even version control won't help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do web development. Everything is usually stored in a content management system but sometimes to do upgrades you have to break things and it makes it difficult to go back depending on where you are in the process. Sometimes even version control won't help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also do enterprise web application development, with crazy complex applications for a fortune 100 company... We have mechanisms in place to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen - version control is the most basic; we also have three environments that we can promote to prod at any time.

I'm kinda surprised that there wasn't a snapshot somewhere they could roll back. Just seems like a miss on a very important feature.

Glad it's fixed now.

• Like 1

I also do enterprise web application development, with crazy complex applications for a fortune 100 company... We have mechanisms in place to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen - version control is the most basic; we also have three environments that we can promote to prod at any time.

I'm kinda surprised that there wasn't a snapshot somewhere they could roll back. Just seems like a miss on a very important feature.

Glad it's fixed now.

You are right though the first step is usually a snapshot. I work for a university so we don't have as robust of an environment. 

They might have been trying to figure out if they could fix it easily before they rolled back.