Clearwire Spectrum

Does anyone know which markets Sprint will attempt to bring a second 5mhz carrier? Also I noticed when Verizon installs XLTE panels that they only use 1 sector pointed with the most congested panel. Will Sprint use this method as well or will it cover all 3 sectors (full 360 degree) on that tower?

As a former math teacher, I'm a bit baffled at the 6:3 ratio. Can someone explain why it's not 2:1? I just don't get why it's not in lowest terms.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

10 time slots. 1 must be used to separate uplink from downlink. 

Subframes 0-9. First subframe must always be a downlink. Switching periodicity is 10ms. 

• Like 2

So if I understand you correctly, the data takes 6 units of time for download, 1 unit off, then 3 units for upload?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

If you're thinking mathematically, the ratio would truly be 6:3:1.  However, since the neutral time slot is a given, in the wireless industry it is simply omitted.  And that's why it is referred to 6:3.  Because if it was reduced to 3:2, then the whole 1 becomes a half.  And the ratio is no longer reduced to only whole numbers.

But this was an excellent question.  :tu:

• Like 6

If you're thinking mathematically, the ratio would truly be 6:3:1.  However, since the neutral time slot is a given, in the wireless industry it is simply omitted.  And that's why it is referred to 6:3.  Because if it was reduced to 3:2, then the whole 1 becomes a half.  And the ratio is no longer reduced to only whole numbers.

But this was an excellent question.   :tu:

I just didn't realize it was based off of 10 units of time. The 6:3:1 really makes sense to my logical thinking brain.  :)

• Like 3

I don't think they want to do carrier aggregation on PCS. Once they free enough EVDO and 1x channels on 1900MHz, they might add more channels. There are places that Sprint has a 15x15 MHz C block allocation so in those places it will eventually do a 15x15 channel and a 5x5 channel (G block). But that assumes that they have totally refarmed their PCS spectrum which might not be for a little while. It all depends on how fast they can get people using LTE and then VOLTE.

Interesting. I suppose Sprint could aggregate it's two 5x5 PCS LTE slices in places like Chicago and Shentel-Land if it wanted. But even if they do that, It kind of seems pointless because the capacity of two non-aggregated 5x5 channels and two aggregated 5x5 channels would be the same, the only difference would be a greater peak speeds. (and maybe better performance at the cell edge?)

From how I understand it, with all the congestion on PCS LTE already CA at this point would likely not make much difference in peak speeds and little to no difference would be seen in the eyes of the average user.

Interesting. I suppose Sprint could aggregate it's two 5x5 PCS LTE slices in places like Chicago and Shentel-Land if it wanted. But even if they do that, It kind of seems pointless because the capacity of two non-aggregated 5x5 channels and two aggregated 5x5 channels would be the same, the only difference would be a greater peak speeds. (and maybe better performance at the cell edge?)

From how I understand it, with all the congestion on PCS LTE already CA at this point would likely not make much difference in peak speeds and little to no difference would be seen in the eyes of the average user.

Even without aggregation, having a second 5x5 PCS allows for a more consistent experience for your B25 customers. 

• Like 4