New gadget lets police detect when you're texting while driving

SpenceSouth

I don't know if you guys have heard about this or not, but I'm not sure how well something like this would work in real world scenarios.  Even if they knew what channels every voice network operated on in every market, this would never be able to distinguish Hangout and iMessages sent over data (unless they start packet-sniffing, in which case I believe intercepting wireless communication is still illegal).  

Also, how are they going to distinguish between you getting a text and sending one?  Is that even possible?

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/texting-while-driving-gun/

With at least SMS on CDMA and GSM, a text being sent from your phone does look quite unique in the way it fills the channel only in the vicinity of your phone in a burst.  I've seen it occur while watching a spectrum analyzer on the uplink channel.  It could be distinguished easily with specialized equipment.  

Remember, this is just SMS sent from your phone.  It would not be able to tell anything sent to your phone from the tower.  So receiving texts would not impact you.  Also, as noted above, SMS sent via data would look quite differently (like Hangouts and TextFree, etc.) and not likely would be able to be detectable the same way.  It would appear like how background data being sent from your phone would appear.

The bummer for me is I use voice text a lot in the car to send texts.  My stereo reads texts aloud to me and I respond back through Bluetooth.  Works great when I need it.  Sometimes with humorous voice transcribing mistakes.  However, this would put me in a bad position with cops using something like this.  It would appear like I am texting.  And they won't care if it is disruptive as talking with someone in the car.  I'll get a ticket all the same.  And in some states, it would be reckless driving.

• Like 3

We DON'T NEED MORE GOVERNMENT in OUR lives. This is just another way for them to intrude and take hard earn money away from us where they can go do other things that are more important things.

Let us limit this discussion to the RF technology involved.  Tinfoil hat, anti government rhetoric is unnecessary.

AJ

• Like 4

Let us limit this discussion to the RF technology involved.  Tinfoil hat, anti government rhetoric is unnecessary.

AJ

Not saying I totally agree with him, but this is the General Topics forum, isn't it? There are quite a few topics with literally 0 to do with any kind of RF technology or networks or anything of the sort. Why is discussing the politics of it suddenly against the rules?

• Like 1

Not saying I totally agree with him, but this is the General Topics forum, isn't it? There are quite a few topics with literally 0 to do with any kind of RF technology or networks or anything of the sort. Why is discussing the politics of it suddenly against the rules?

It's not sudden.  We have always discouraged political or religious conversation.  Too many people get pissed off that way, all for off topic conversation.

• Like 5

I don't know if you guys have heard about this or not, but I'm not sure how well something like this would work in real world scenarios.  Even if they knew what channels every voice network operated on in every market, this would never be able to distinguish Hangout and iMessages sent over data (unless they start packet-sniffing, in which case I believe intercepting wireless communication is still illegal).  

Also, how are they going to distinguish between you getting a text and sending one?  Is that even possible?

http://www.dailydot.com/technology/texting-while-driving-gun/

They can tell a diffenece calls and text over streaming music?  What happens VoLTE comes?

• Like 1

It's not sudden.  We have always discouraged political or religious conversation.  Too many people get pissed off that way, all for off topic conversation.

It is literally impossible to discuss politics, religion or net neutrality (which is basically politics and religion combined) on the internet. It always involves someone getting butthurt and going bananas and unpleasantness for those that arent amused by it :) IIRC this is actually in the rules here or something similar. It's a very sensible rule, even if I do come from a state overly dependent on government *cough* don't I Robert ;) (I jest, don't ban hammer meeeee)

With respect to the detection device, how can it tell if you are using siri (or google now or ms sultana) to send a text? Cars are also beginning to put in lte connections and routers so occupants could be routing everything via wifi calling. It seems like a half baked solution 10 years too late. The current solution of having police spot you and use cell records in court is a little more reliable but still doesn't take into account using it hands free. I don't see it as a valid alternative to just having more police out doing their jobs. 

• Like 1

All this hullabaloo over texting while driving. What about a radar gun that detects women putting on makeup while driving or men shaving while driving? How about drinking hot coffee while driving as you may spill boiling hot coffee on your crotch and lose control. You can't control any of it. It's a social problem Just like checking out hot girls in skimpy bikinis at the beach.

• Like 3

All this hullabaloo over texting while driving. What about a radar gun that detects women putting on makeup while driving or men shaving while driving? How about drinking hot coffee while driving as you may spill boiling hot coffee on your crotch and lose control. You can't control any of it. It's a social problem Just like checking out hot girls in skimpy bikinis at the beach.

This! Just replace airbags with a 6 inch sharpened spike. Then see who puts on makeup etc. This is an area where technology can't replace cops out on patrol.  

• Like 1

This is silly. I use Agent, and when I receive a text, the app automatically replies that I'm driving and unable to respond. This text detection would not be able to distinguish between an automatic reply and a regular text. Moreover what if my teenage daughter is texting away in the passenger seat? How would they know which phone is used by the driver?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a lost cause. The Supreme Court even passed a law saying they can't search your phones without a warrant so the whole texting while driving thing is moot. Even if you were visibly doing it and the officer stopped you for it he has no way to prove that it happened without checking your phone. Granted I don't text and drive anyway so I'm not really affected.

Voice to text is also worth noting like Robert said. There's so many different variances to the implied issue that this whole thing is just wasted money and can't possibly come to fruition. That's my piece anyway. Tried not to offend anyone with the post and will apologize here in advance if anything I said did offend anyone. :)

Cheers.

• Like 2

I text all the time while driving but I use voice to text and therefore it is legal. If police would scan my car, yes they would see a text but send the legal way.

That depends on the state. In MA, drivers cannot "send or read any electronic messages" while driving. Hands free does not matter. It's not only about the hands on the wheel, but also about the distraction it causes.

-Mike

• 2 months later...

Because it is better not to even start a convo on it. To only open a can of worms. When people start talking about such things feelings usually get involved. A lot of times to the point of threats. Not saying it will happen but from experience.... better to avoid such convos from most people.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1