Sprint Says It Won’t Take Part in U.S. Airwaves Auction (AWS-3)

KD8JBF

Found an article on FierceWireless speculating that Sprint may not jump into the AWS auction...Thoughts?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-sprint-might-pass-fccs-spectrum-auctions/2014-04-04?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

It certainly gives the impression that the rural roaming partnership would be treated as native coverage for Sprint customers. Bring on the USC coverage!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It certainly gives the impression that the rural roaming partnership would be treated as native coverage for Sprint customers. Bring on the USC coverage!

I agree, or if the T-Mobile deal fails, I hope they just buy USC. lol  But...LTE roaming with USC would not work with current handsets like the NExus 5 correct?  Possibly in addition to USC LTE we would also get USC EVDO.

I think that even with native rural roaming coverage in the future probable I would think sprint would still compete for some spectrum in the 600mhz auction just because they don't have much of it and also probably the last auction for prime sub 1ghz spectrum to be gotten. Doesn't necessarily mean they go all in on the auction but I would think they would still like to have a at least a 10 to 20mhz in total for volte on down the road.

I agree, or if the T-Mobile deal fails, I hope they just buy USC. lol But...LTE roaming with USC would not work with current handsets like the NExus 5 correct? Possibly in addition to USC LTE we would also get USC EVDO.

I believe USC uses band 5 for LTE (correct me if I'm wrong), which the nexus 5 supports. So I'd assumed if its not programmed to allow it that could be changed via a software update?

Sprint and consortium will bid together as one for the 600 mhz auction. The recent CCA announcement is just the prelude to all access roaming and native network coverage in the coming year(s).

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Sprint and their rural partners should go like gangsters for the 600mhz.at minimum they need to get a 10x10 channel and if it's possible they could go further.

Sprint and their rural partners should go like gangsters for the 600mhz.at minimum they need to get a 10x10 channel and if it's possible they could go further.

Hopefully they have at least 15 billion to outbid others to get 10x10.

Hopefully they have at least 15 billion to outbid others to get 10x10.

If SoftBank/sprint can get 45 billion to buy tmobile then I'm sure they have 15billion to outbid others. Money is not an issue anymore...for now

If SoftBank/sprint can get 45 billion to buy tmobile then I'm sure they have 15billion to outbid others. Money is not an issue anymore...for now

Not the same thing. That 45 b comes with 40 some odd million paying customers, tens of thousands of cell sites ect...

USCC uses 700A B12 + CL 850 B5 for LTE and 1900 / 850 for EVDO / voice.

If memory serves, don't USCC LTE devices support 4 LTE bands? Don't they also support PCS and AWS too? I seem to recall an AJ article or post explaining how USCC devices were Quad Band long before Sprint's Triband devices came out.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

If memory serves, don't USCC LTE devices support 4 LTE bands? Don't they also support PCS and AWS too? I seem to recall an AJ article or post explaining how USCC devices were Quad Band long before Sprint's Triband devices came out.

I found this older topic that looks like at least some of them do.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1382-us-cellular-galaxy-siii-lte-bands/

• Like 1

Their phones support Band 12 / 5 / 4 / 2 or 25 but they've not yet deployed anything on Band 4 or Band 2/25. 

They've got at least 90-95% of their existing LTE 700 coverage overlaid with CL 850 about now. It was about 80% at the end of the year. 

Their phones support Band 12 / 5 / 4 / 2 or 25 but they've not yet deployed anything on Band 4 or Band 2/25. 

They've got at least 90-95% of their existing LTE 700 coverage overlaid with CL 850 about now. It was about 80% at the end of the year.

I thought I recall members finding USCC PCS LTE in the LTE Engineering screens but unable to authenticate with it?

Robert

I thought I recall members finding USCC PCS LTE in the LTE Engineering screens but unable to authenticate with it?

Robert

I don't recall but I'm sure pretty sure they have not yet deployed PCS LTE. They've been pretty busy working on CL 850 and getting rid of Galaxy S3s which crushed their network equipment. 

From what I recall, they've prepared themselves for PCS LTE but are looking more into building out their AWS spectrum to fulfill buildout requirements. 

• Like 1

Robert

I think there where some members finding C-Spire PCS LTE but not USCC...

• Like 1

I think there where some members finding C-Spire PCS LTE but not USCC...

I've shown USC before when my n5 is scanning for LTE at my house(it shows b25 too but never connects). Its probably due to there being a USC tower not even 500 yards from my house.

• Like 1

I don't recall but I'm sure pretty sure they have not yet deployed PCS LTE. They've been pretty busy working on CL 850 and getting rid of Galaxy S3s which crushed their network equipment. 

From what I recall, they've prepared themselves for PCS LTE but are looking more into building out their AWS spectrum to fulfill buildout requirements. 

How did Galaxy S3s crush their network equipment?

• 5 months later...