Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

Does the spot show both while looking at it on your screen and on a computer or another device? If so, it sounds to me like a camera sensor problem. If the spot goes away when you look at on another device, it could be a screen problem. Does the spot show up when not taking a picture?

Sent from my Note 4.

I'm moving to the Nexus 6p. My Note 4 was excellent when I purchased it, but now it is slow and laggy. Sometimes when I open the phone to get a quick picture of my kids, my phone hangs for 10 to 15 seconds before the camera app will open after pushing the button. By that time, the moment has passed. The lag goes away after a factory reset, but only for about 2 weeks. Then it returns, often worse than before.

I hope that the Nexus device won't succumb to this lag after a year in. I seem to recall that my Nexus 5 was still flying when I sold it to purchase the Note 4.

Now that Samsung has gone away from removable batteries, I probably will be sticking to Nexus devices. 

• Like 7

Anyone notice serious GPS locking issues? It makes Maps, Waze, etc. unusable. It took almost 45 minutes this morning to lock on an adequate number of satellites.

I tried using GPS Tool to reset GPS data and pull xtra data to no avail. Some suggested tightening the phones screws. Does nothing for me.

My phone is not rooted. How did GPS get so bad? Is there a fix?

Interestingly my GPS is going nuts this weekend in VA.. Unless something in my fancy Cadillac SRX rental is throwing it off.

Not likely since a family members basic Samsung grand prime works fine.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I finally got around to doing a factory reset on my Note 4, the first since I picked it up on launch day last year. What a difference! I should've done it long ago, but last night was the first time I actually had a few hours to do it. If you haven't already, do it. Battery life is much better today and it's much smoother too. It's well worth the few hours it takes to do the reset and set your phone back up again.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Noticed something interesting..  had a cheap Sprint prepaid Moto E next to me in a fringe B41 signal area.  The Note 4 actually gets about 10db better signal on B25/26, however, the Moto E was still hanging onto B41 on -120dbm or less, and was still getting 30 mbps on a speed test.

Anyone notice similar, that the Note 4 drops off B41 when signal is low and switches to the other bands?

Noticed something interesting.. had a cheap Sprint prepaid Moto E next to me in a fringe B41 signal area. The Note 4 actually gets about 10db better signal on B25/26, however, the Moto E was still hanging onto B41 on -120dbm or less, and was still getting 30 mbps on a speed test.

Anyone notice similar, that the Note 4 drops off B41 when signal is low and switches to the other bands?

It's supposed to switch that way. The problem is with the Moto E. Which either is not properly reporting to the Sprint network, so the network is not telling it or allowing it to move bands. It probably won't switch until it scans on its own after it loses its LTE Connection. All things considered, that's not a good thing.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• 2 weeks later...

New update today! The install dialog did mention battery optimization.

I'm going to toss out one possibility for the battery life optimization in the last update. Website says Sprint Global Roaming and update popup mentioned battery.

When I was roaming in Europe on Global Roaming, my battery was draining like crazy. I wonder if those two enhancements go together.

Unfortunately the Wal-Mart Spark Spinner is still there.

• Like 2

I had updated my note on Friday, it started off good, with just one random restart. However, I still seem to be having issues. If it matters at all, it just doesn't happen on the same level as the previous update, but my phone still locks up and goes back to the lock screen.

I upgraded to a Note 5 about a month ago. I have my previous phone the Note 4 for sale. I own the Note 4. I bought it brand new on Ebay so it's fully paid for. Can this phone be unlocked? I called Sprint and they said "this phone can't be unlocked for another carrier. Can only be used on Sprint. It's not unlock capable". Then she put me on hold and came back with a MSL #. Is that the unlock number?

I upgraded to a Note 5 about a month ago. I have my previous phone the Note 4 for sale. I own the Note 4. I bought it brand new on Ebay so it's fully paid for. Can this phone be unlocked? I called Sprint and they said "this phone can't be unlocked for another carrier. Can only be used on Sprint. It's not unlock capable". Then she put me on hold and came back with a MSL #. Is that the unlock number?

I'd suggest listing on swappa.com or eBay as a Sprint phone.  While it is possible to unlock the SIM slot to possibly use with some GSM carriers, the LTE bands are Sprint only, so it wouldn't be very useful on other US networks.

There actually is a command in the menus "UICC Unlock".. I think that unlocks the SIM slot, but again, not much help.

Installed the update. Hopefully it does help the battery life. Now that I'm past the year mark with the phone, the battery doesn't seem to last as long as it used to.

Semi-random question: Does anyone else's phone get hot when it installs an update? Mine always does and i don't know if that's normal or if it's just mine.