Operation Gigaspeed!

Destroyallcubes

CenturyLink has being using West Omaha as a large-scale FTTH 1 GB/s testbed for about a year now.

centurylink-map.jpg

Fierce Article on their current deployments from last month

Centurylink must dislike its Southeast territory. Even Prism has had a very slow roll out in the south east compared to the rest of CL's service areas.

Not 75 ohm? Impedance mismatches cause visible artifact in analog television, so I doubt that.

Ingress on cable is also very hard to track down sometimes, as are ground loops.

Well when it says 50ohms on cable lol. I disconnect it. Especially intermittent ingress. Could be an old TV when turned on. No ingress when off

I've seen reflection, which can cause similar issues to ingress, caused by a loose cable, too.  Most of the coax wiring I work with is 50 ohm, not 75.  Would be strange to see someone run that cable in CATV uses because it's a lot more expensive.

Corrections incoming...

GFiber isn't available anywhere yet.

Grande is limited to 110/11 outside their FTTH area toward the center of town, but $65 gets you a gig if it's available.

AT&T is at a full gigabit now where they have GigaPower (a friend lives near 35 and Riverside and his apartment complex has GigaPower).

Suddenlink is available in Pflugerville, Georgetown and parts of Leander, and recently their standard tiers went from 15/30/50/107 to 30/50/107/300 from what I understand. Upload speeds are 2/3/5/15 IIRC. Thing is, I think that their 300M is cheaper than TWC's, though that isn't saying much (I pay ~$100 per month including modem rental for 300M).

SL could offer 200M to everyone by running 16 channel modems on a 24 channel system...though they'd probably have to settle for 10M up in that case. Gigabit? Probably selective FTTH, at a pretty penny per month ($150+). DOCSIS 3.1 won't be ready soon enough to deliver a gig that way.

FYI Google Fiber is available in like 2 or 3 places downtown now. I didn't know AT&T had places that were full gigabit yet so that is cool to know. I wonder what TWC's long term plans will be once Google Fiber is actually available. I guess the wifi hotspots could be compelling for people on limited data cellphone plans.

I'm happy on TWC with my 100/10 with my paid for modem so far. Unsurprisingly, my actual usage has gone up about 30% since I got the speed increase last month.

FYI Google Fiber is available in like 2 or 3 places downtown now. I didn't know AT&T had places that were full gigabit yet so that is cool to know. I wonder what TWC's long term plans will be once Google Fiber is actually available. I guess the wifi hotspots could be compelling for people on limited data cellphone plans.

I'm happy on TWC with my 100/10 with my paid for modem so far. Unsurprisingly, my actual usage has gone up about 30% since I got the speed increase last month.

From the information I am hearing in Nashville, GFiber could start whenever Google is ready.  It seems that our local power company several years ago decided to run fiber along with the power lines for their use at some point.  Thing is, they are using it but have so much capacity left they can lease the space.

I hope Google decides to move forward with this very soon.  I would love to dump Comcast.

I work with Suddenlink and we are currently receiving training on running fiber to the door. From what I hear it is gonna be in new build areas but even over coax we are pushing 4gbps when you consider TV, phone and internet going over that one line into the home. Biggest problem with internet speed is noise on the lines! Hardest part is keeping the systems clean of noise! We will get there!

I work with Suddenlink and we are currently receiving training on running fiber to the door. From what I hear it is gonna be in new build areas but even over coax we are pushing 4gbps when you consider TV, phone and internet going over that one line into the home. Biggest problem with internet speed is noise on the lines! Hardest part is keeping the systems clean of noise! We will get there!

In newly acquired northland cable areas, they may have to replace coax, so if any major replacements need done, just run fiber to the houses. Would be a huge performance jump for us users who were abused by northland's lack of maintenance.

Here in Austin we have 3 companies "offering" gigabit speeds.

Grande Communications offers it downtown in a small area but elsewhere the speeds have not even gone up.

AT&T currently maxes at 300 down and the advertised price also includes a $20 rebate for letting them spy on you and requires a 2 year contract.

Google Fiber is still building out and I only know of a few downtown apartment buildings and a couple libraries.

TWC on the other hand is offering 300 down BUT they have doubled everyone's speeds for free and their free wifi across town is actually really nice and fast.

Yeah Cox here has also doubled for "free" their upper two tiers of internet speeds and rolling out "free"

wifi in spots for its customers...something tells me these cable monopolies are starting to run scarrrred!!

Cable companies giving out freebees...never believed I'd live long enough to see it...good old

capitalistic competition at work here....

Yeah Cox here has also doubled for "free" their upper two tiers of internet speeds and rolling out "free"

wifi in spots for its customers...something tells me these cable monopolies are starting to run scarrrred!!

Cable companies giving out freebees...never believed I'd live long enough to see it...good old

capitalistic competition at work here....

Yeah the 100/10 I have now is nice but the process involved 2 weeks of almost total downtime. It is actually the reason I came BACK to Sprint from Ting because I realized if I had to rely on my home internet for work which often involves some quite large files I might not have a reliable connection in an emergency.

My internet went out for an hour today during the rain storms we are having.

Ouch..two weeks of downtime; cannot even fathom that in this day & age!

I'm keeping my Zing on Ting for the exact same reason->emergency & travel wifi;

I'm not even sure what I would do with 100 mbit downloads let alone 500 mbit or more;

guess everybody expects streaming content to replace ownership or cable

subscriptions at some point in the future..OK..bring it on..

Hmm imagine that a special cable company, that sells services like unlimited Netflix streaming, but no p2p access, no web access, it just uses a certain app and work only with certain streaming services. Can pay for web page access. People could bug what they need. Some use only web pages/email, make a cheaper package for them, streaming more expensive.

Hmm imagine that a special cable company, that sells services like unlimited Netflix streaming, but no p2p access, no web access, it just uses a certain app and work only with certain streaming services. Can pay for web page access. People could bug what they need. Some use only web pages/email, make a cheaper package for them, streaming more expensive.

This already exists to an extent. Those who need p2p use the highest speed tier, those who want to stream youtube/netflix use the middle tier, those who just want to email/web browse use the slowest speed tier.

Is this a good thread to post about the Onion's tech team open-sourcing a js library that slows down image loading called ComcastifyJS?

With all this internet going around, sometimes you just want to experience the thrill of a long page load. Give your users the chance to enjoy a little slice of the future by slow loading your website's images with ComcastifyJS!

http://theonion.github.io/comcastifyjs/

I have heard of sudden link spying on their customers downloads. Why do they do that?

I have heard of sudden link spying on their customers downloads. Why do they do that?

It's the same people that got DMCA cancelation mail. basically they are pissed that Suddenlink cut service to them for life due to them being a repeat DMCA reported seeder. Suddenlink doesn't care what you download. Its what you share across their network is what they care about.

Because not enough care about their privacy anymore. It used to be an American distinctive. One we'd fight to protect. Now it's just accepted. I'm sure it will work out for us. There's no way this will backfire. Right? ;)

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Because not enough care about their privacy anymore. It used to be an American distinctive. One we'd fight to protect. Now it's just accepted. I'm sure it will work out for us. There's no way this will backfire. Right? ;)

I think after 9/11 a lot of Americans have conceded that losing some privacy will ensure at least some level of protection.

I think after 9/11 a lot of Americans have conceded that losing some privacy will ensure at least some level of protection.

Yes and that seems to make sense. But now they have swung the opposite direction to not caring. And we will see if that works out for us in the long run.