Network Vision/LTE - Phoenix Market (including Flagstaff, Prescott)

MaxPower

I think someone else mention a tower being turn on by Intel site off of Chandler Blvd. in the other thread.

I myself am by Germann and Dobson and am getting LTE broadcasted. I think a tower was turned on down here. Never had a signal before at this strength. Will go driving/mapping in a bit lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

uploadfromtaptalk1380761975453.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380761991526.jpg

I'm pretty sure the tower I'm connected to is the one at Gatling Way and Arrowhead Drive. it's adjacent to a church. I saw an Alcatel-Lucent van there like mid august? I know they had a cherry picker around in July.

I've ran by this site everyday the last 60+ days and no LTE, even early this morning! but it came on sometime during the day. so cool.

here's some more phone screenshots in and around the area.

uploadfromtaptalk1380773986545.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380773998710.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380774011511.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the tower I'm connected to is the one at Gatling Way and Arrowhead Drive. it's adjacent to a church. I saw an Alcatel-Lucent van there like mid august? I know they had a cherry picker around in July.

I've ran by this site everyday the last 60+ days and no LTE, even early this morning! but it came on sometime during the day. so cool.

here's some more phone screenshots in and around the area.

Pretty slow speeds sitting in front of the tower.  Try a different sector at that site.  Usually be getting 30Mpbs+ here in San Diego if sitting in front of a site.  Have gotten 37Mpbs+ at many sites at your signal level.   ;)

Pretty slow speeds sitting in front of the tower. Try a different sector at that site. Usually be getting 30Mpbs+ here in San Diego if sitting in front of a site. Have gotten 37Mpbs+ at many sites at your signal level. ;)

Yeah I've gotten faster speeds from the other side of where I took those screenies from. Wish this was near my work though!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

For the Phoenix market, is Sprint upgrading all towers to LTE? Also, does this process add any towers to their count, or only retrofit?

I ask because my house on the outskirts of the southeast valley in Queen Creek (near Rittenhouse and Ocotillo Rd) where I barely get 1-2 bars of 3G service now. Knowing that the 4G service is on a higher frequency band I'm worried it might leave me with no data at all.

Per an article i just read, Sprint will be utilizing their 4G across all 3 spectrums. Their 1.9GHz, the old Nextel 800MHz, and Clearwire's 2.5GHz. So we should be able to get 4G data with both range and building penetration. You will need to upgrade to the new Tri-Band phone, though. No big deal.

For the Phoenix market, is Sprint upgrading all towers to LTE? Also, does this process add any towers to their count, or only retrofit?

I ask because my house on the outskirts of the southeast valley in Queen Creek (near Rittenhouse and Ocotillo Rd) where I barely get 1-2 bars of 3G service now. Knowing that the 4G service is on a higher frequency band I'm worried it might leave me with no data at all.

Out of ~38000 towers all but about 100 will get LTE. Sprint has added a few towers and plans on converting another 100 former Nextel sites to NV. However the general push is to upgrade the existing footprint, not expand it. The 800 MHz and the use of RRUs (on all bands) should help improve the signal strength in general. 

Chandler Ave & Rural Tower Work (Intel Parking Garage)

Came to work today and saw the crew up on the tower working.  I presume to install vision enhancements.  I would have expected this to have happened sooner, since Intel uses Sprint exclusively for their production service.  Will post speed tests once it's online

So for the very first time I run a speed test from my iPhone 5 of 4g LTE out of curiosity and pulled like 17mbs. Then I got home and tested the 3 bars of 3G I normally get and pulled like 4kbs! Seriously can't wait for that tower to get some love.

I ask because my house on the outskirts of the southeast valley in Queen Creek (near Rittenhouse and Ocotillo Rd) where I barely get 1-2 bars of 3G service now. Knowing that the 4G service is on a higher frequency band I'm worried it might leave me with no data at all

This is where 800 lte will help u, u probably will get 4g outside your house from 1900. But 800 lte will really help in this matter, so I wouldn't worry that u won't be covered. It is the nice thing about sprint having three different specturms, 2600 for dense areas with high crowds, 1900 for small 1-2 mile cells and 800 to cover inside buildings and long distances. 800 voice can go for miles over 1900 sites, so as long as you are willing to upgrade to tri-band phone. U won't have a problem

This is where 800 lte will help u, u probably will get 4g outside your house from 1900. But 800 lte will really help in this matter, so I wouldn't worry that u won't be covered. It is the nice thing about sprint having three different specturms, 2600 for dense areas with high crowds, 1900 for small 1-2 mile cells and 800 to cover inside buildings and long distances. 800 voice can go for miles over 1900 sites, so as long as you are willing to upgrade to tri-band phone. U won't have a problem

Unfortunately I just extended my 5 line plan with 4 HTC Ones and an SIII a few months ago.  So tri-band is at least 20 months away for me.

Unfortunately I just extended my 5 line plan with 4 HTC Ones and an SIII a few months ago.  So tri-band is at least 20 months away for me.

That and currently the only thing going up in phx is 1900.. tribal will be nice but we are no where near that yet... that's why I went ahead and one upped with the note 3... bummed it's single band.. but currently for phx and az it's gonna fit... now a year or or so down the line... When our network is more complete... i mean we are currently 71% of known permits complete.. With 3g/1x only... and 8% of them active 1900 lte... we are no where near completion... so not having a tri-band phone. . Is not the end of the world right now...

Now the above is not a slam on phx or sprint it's a statement of current fact... With that said...

As back haul is increased on the valley if you gave a signal Now you will have the same or better later.. we need back haul that's phx,s biggest issue.. even with 3g only and completed back haul you speeds increase multitudes.. we are still very early on in the process in phx don't compare with completed cities and don't get frustrated.. it's coming... i know ppl in phx have been saying that for a while.. but at least large parts of phx is purple on sensorly...

What would be Sprint's maximum realistic 3G speed in this area once backhaul is completed?  

Right now I average 250ms ping/1Mbit down/.76Mbit up at my desk on Country Club and 60 freeway in Mesa where there is LTE to the front of our building, but not reaching the back into my concrete warehouse.  Speeds at my house are about 1/10th that (except ping).

Even if I didn't get 4G everywhere, I'd be stoked for reliable enough 3G to make it from Queen Creek to Mesa without having high quality Pandora buffer out.

Edited by kx250ryder

What would be Sprint's maximum realistic 3G speed in this area once backhaul is completed?  

Right now I average 250ms ping/1Mbit down/.76Mbit up at my desk on Country Club and 60 freeway in Mesa where there is LTE to the front of our building, but not reaching the back into my concrete warehouse.  Speeds at my house are about 1/10th that (except ping).

Even if I didn't get 4G everywhere, I'd be stoked for reliable enough 3G to make it from Queen Creek to Mesa without having high quality Pandora buffer out.

Post NV 3G should average somewhere between 1 and 2Mbps. Of course congestion can still occur dragging speeds down, but it's not as likely.

My contract with 4 phones ends at the end of this month. I pre-ordered a G2 from BestBuy and have not heard anything. Bought two Nexus 5 and got two SIM cards from chat link in one of the posts. All came in yesterday.

I stopped by Walgreens to buy T-Mobile SIM ($10) and signed up for $30 plan and I am shocked at LTE speeds and availability here in Phoenix. Today I went in to transfer service to Nexus 5 without issues but sadly my speeds are back to non-existent.  Took Sprint SIM out and put T-Mobile SIM back and I think I may stick with T-Mobile as there is no comparison. I've been a Sprint customer for close to 15 years but the reality is that my bill will also be less now that I own the phones. My airave just died and without it I have to use wifi calling from home (Google Voice).

Sorry for rant and thank you all for your help!