Network Vision/LTE - Phoenix Market (including Flagstaff, Prescott)

MaxPower

Recently, I've noticed "4g" on my phone. However, when I run speed tests, it seems to be even slower than the speeds on 3G. Can anyone provide any insight into this? Does this mean this tower is LTE ready and I should expect it soon? Or, will I maintain these speeds at "4g" until mid 2014 when every tower is ready and LTE is launched? I'm in the chandler area by the tower on Dobson and Ray. 

I've skimmed this thread, as well as a couple others, for an answer, but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Glenn

Recently, I've noticed "4g" on my phone. However, when I run speed tests, it seems to be even slower than the speeds on 3G. Can anyone provide any insight into this? Does this mean this tower is LTE ready and I should expect it soon? Or, will I maintain these speeds at "4g" until mid 2014 when every tower is ready and LTE is launched? I'm in the chandler area by the tower on Dobson and Ray. 

I've skimmed this thread, as well as a couple others, for an answer, but couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Glenn

More than likely, you have a weak signal. LTE speeds are very signal dependent. We would need a shot of your engineering screen (or as Samsung calls it, the enginerring screen ) to properly diagnose what's going on. Or a screen shot using the app SignalCheck Pro would work too.

I'm seeing this problem as we have scattered LTE sites. My phone will lock on to weak 4g signals and have no data access. I assume this WI self correct when (if) we get to blanket LTE coverage. I own a condo that is right on the edge of a LTE tower and I have to disable LTE when I'm there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I'm seeing this problem as we have scattered LTE sites. My phone will lock on to weak 4g signals and have no data access. I assume this WI self correct when (if) we get to blanket LTE coverage. I own a condo that is right on the edge of a LTE tower and I have to disable LTE when I'm there.

Yup, nature of the beast.  I guess another option would be for Sprint to block all LTE sites until each market has x amount of LTE coverage. I'll gladly take the method they are using now, though!

Edit: Also, I don't think the "if," in regards to whether we get blanket LTE coverage, is really necessary.  

We you get to about 30-40% of towers broadcasting LTE, you will start seeing much more consistent coverage and speeds. When they are all complete, it will be fantastic. 

Yup, nature of the beast. I guess another option would be for Sprint to block all LTE sites until each market has x amount of LTE coverage. I'll gladly take the method they are using now, though!

Edit: Also, I don't think the "if," in regards to whether we get blanket LTE coverage, is really necessary.

Is the end state goal that we never see the 3g symbol on our phones at some point or will there always be gaps?

Is the end state goal that we never see the 3g symbol on our phones at some point or will there always be gaps?

I'm sure there will be exceptions, but, essentially, the entire Sprint network will receive LTE. Approx 99.9% of Sprints sites are in the process of getting LTE. So, only on rare (if ever) occasions will you see 3G on a LTE device. If there are any gaps in LTE coverage, The 800mhz LTE spectrum that Sprint should start deploying in Phx late 2013/early 2014 will solve that problem.  Edit: Just keep in mind, you'll need one of the  soon-to-be-released devices (such as the LG G2) which are capable of 800LTE if you want to be able to take advantage of that.  

We you get to about 30-40% of towers broadcasting LTE, you will start seeing much more consistent coverage and speeds. When they are all complete, it will be fantastic.

If I sound skeptical it's because I recently traveled to Austin and San Antonio, both launched 4g markets and LTE coverage and speeds were not good at all and unusable many times. Usually the issue was in the downtown areas. So this was a bit of a let down as we wait here in Phoenix. I think a lot of it is due to the 1900 mhz LTE and I have faith that as 800 comes online these gaps in coverage will get filled in.

I have tmobile LTE on my tablet and see the same coverage issues on 1900. Grass isn't any greener on their network.

• Like 1

If I sound skeptical it's because I recently traveled to Austin and San Antonio, both launched 4g markets and LTE coverage and speeds were not good at all and unusable many times. Usually the issue was in the downtown areas. So this was a bit of a let down as we wait here in Phoenix. I think a lot of it is due to the 1900 mhz LTE and I have faith that as 800 comes online these gaps in coverage will get filled in.

I have tmobile LTE on my tablet and see the same coverage issues on 1900. Grass isn't any greener on their network.

Difference is Austin and San Antonio area is spectrum starved compared to Phoenix. IIRC, that area is now the most spectrum starved region with only 20mhz of PCS now after the USCC spectrum buyout in the midwest. Arizona has no such spectrum issues. 

• Like 2

Hey guys.

I'm currently out of contract, and have some decisions to make.

Have any of you travelled to cities that have LTE turned on?

What's the service like and what kind of speeds were you getting.

It might help to know what possibly to expect once things get moving here.

Thanks.

Hey guys.

Thanks.

Well, I am with Virgin which uses Sprint towers at a bit less of the cost. Or sprint has a no contract plan which is also great that I would definitely recommend getting. Both are much better than the prices for other carriers in my opinion and with this overhaul and my experience with using the 4g LTE, it's certainly super fast and worth the price.

EDIT: and to answer your speed test question...I don't have the stats yet. I got a new iPhone 5 after being an android guy for several years and haven't gotten the hang of everything yet. But it is so much faster than 3G just from loading YouTube videos and pages.

Edited by Tejer

Hey guys.

Thanks.

I have been through both San Diego and the Bay Area, both markets only partially complete but further along than Phoenix and the difference is night and day. Even when I was in 3G areas the network preformed well above what it does here, rarely did I have data issues. The one exception to this was in down town SF where lte was useless but when I switched to 3G the speed where good for evdo. I don't have speed test from my trip because I didn't really take any, I was more worried about usability.

Thanks for the replies.

If Sprint's LTE in other towns that are working are nice, that gives me a little more patience to renew my contract here (since I could use a new phone) and wait for our towers to be turned on.

The wait continues to be painful, though, as all of you know.

Thanks for the replies.

If Sprint's LTE in other towns that are working are nice, that gives me a little more patience to renew my contract here (since I could use a new phone) and wait for our towers to be turned on.

The wait continues to be painful, though, as all of you know.

It's not all roses. I've also been to the Bay area, Portland and Seattle. 4G seemed to work fine, but was not blazing fast, you can expect about 5MB from my experience.

However visit Austin and San Antonio and you'll be begging for your 3G service back. In the downtown areas LTE was completely unusable IMHO.  If your phone actually went into 4G mode, typically there would be no data actually working, or speeds worse as bad as 3G..  I've been told on this forum that the Texas markets are spectrum  constrained more than other parts of the country, and I can say that the Texas experience was worse than Portland or Seattle. 

Why not drive to one of the local towers in Phoenix and check the speeds  ? When I get LTE in Phoenix it seems to work ok, but I still don't see the speeds I do on AT&T or even Tmobile LTE. 

I don't yet have an LTE phone. It's Wimax, which isn't going to help.

I'm off contract and thinking of getting new phones.

I've been optimistic along with everyone else, patiently waiting with delay after delay.

I don't have an issue with resigning as long as things are expected to work.

I'll be happy with getting 5 megs--it's usable.

The .01-.50 I'm getting now isn't.

It's not all roses. I've also been to the Bay area, Portland and Seattle. 4G seemed to work fine, but was not blazing fast, you can expect about 5MB from my experience.

However visit Austin and San Antonio and you'll be begging for your 3G service back. In the downtown areas LTE was completely unusable IMHO.  If your phone actually went into 4G mode, typically there would be no data actually working, or speeds worse as bad as 3G..  I've been told on this forum that the Texas markets are spectrum  constrained more than other parts of the country, and I can say that the Texas experience was worse than Portland or Seattle. 

Why not drive to one of the local towers in Phoenix and check the speeds  ? When I get LTE in Phoenix it seems to work ok, but I still don't see the speeds I do on AT&T or even Tmobile LTE. 

Unless you are using the service as a hotspot for computers or you are torrenting, 5mbps is perfect for phones.  As for the Northwest, it's going to be hit and miss with the landscapes.   

I've been optimistic along with everyone else, patiently waiting with delay after delay.

Just keep up with what everyone is doing in the sponsor sections and you'll know what's going on.  As for LTE, when I get it here in LA, as long as i'm not on the edge, it works well.  the worst though is at games or stadiums that are overwhelmed.

FYI - LTE active on the tower at Cave Creek and Tatum.

Also, the tower just south of there - Cave Creek just north of Pinnacle Peak (24325 N Cave Creek Rd) is 3g NV active. 

I know that is kind of in your neck of the woods...

BR

• Like 2

I was getting over 19mbps DL's at St. Josheph's hospital this morning (3rd and Thomas).  My LTE signal was -98.

One thing many forget to take into account is the signal strength when they're complaining about the speeds. There's a very good chance you are pulling from a distant tower and and as the network becomes more dense, signal gets stronger, speeds get faster.  Someone posting one speed test really means nothing if they don't consider other factors such as signal strength.  

I was getting over 19mbps DL's at St. Josheph's hospital this morning (3rd and Thomas). My LTE signal was -98.

One thing many forget to take into account is the signal strength when they're complaining about the speeds. There's a very good chance you are pulling from a distant tower and and as the network becomes more dense, signal gets stronger, speeds get faster. Someone posting one speed test really means nothing if they don't consider other factors such as signal strength.

I was down at St. Joseph hospital all day today with my dad, no 4g for me though. I was on the 6th floor. I did go outside and briefly connected but lost it.

I'll be there tomorrow all day..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Getting LTE on the 101 north from the I-10 on the west valley! So far it's lasting from on ramp from the 10 and I'm passing Glendale now with a decent connection still! Whoo hoo, West Valley!

Edited by Tejer
  • Like 2