Network Vision/LTE - Phoenix Market (including Flagstaff, Prescott)

MaxPower

This is inline with the mid 2014 completion date Sprint recently announced.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

What's inline?

And that announcement is for everything to be totally complete. Every market should be launched long before the project is actually complete.

Hi everyone, I've been following for a while and finally decided to make an account. I've been following the LTE rollout for Phoenix. I'm in the West Valley and was curious, I am with Virgin Mobile and know they use Sprint towers so will this LTE work for Virgin as well? I want to drive out to the Camelback tower but it's like 20 miles from me and I'm not even sure it would work. I ask because apparently Sprint has 4g Wiimax here in Phoenix yet on Virgin you cant access those Wiimax towers for whatever reason. I know because I had a Wiimax phone for Virgin about a year ago and Virgin still shows no coverage in this state for that too even though Sprint covers it.

EDIT: According to Virgin's FAQ on Network Vision I should be able to use 4G LTE where available and as it becomes available. I think i'll be a nerd and drive out there sometime today to see what happens maybe. Any feedback before I go is appreciated :)

Edited by Tejer

Hi everyone, I've been following for a while and finally decided to make an account. I've been following the LTE rollout for Phoenix. I'm in the West Valley and was curious, I am with Virgin Mobile and know they use Sprint towers so will this LTE work for Virgin as well? I want to drive out to the Camelback tower but it's like 20 miles from me and I'm not even sure it would work. I ask because apparently Sprint has 4g Wiimax here in Phoenix yet on Virgin you cant access those Wiimax towers for whatever reason. I know because I had a Wiimax phone for Virgin about a year ago and Virgin still shows no coverage in this state for that too even though Sprint covers it.

EDIT: According to Virgin's FAQ on Network Vision I should be able to use 4G LTE where available and as it becomes available. I think i'll be a nerd and drive out there sometime today to see what happens maybe. Any feedback before I go is appreciated :)

Virgin might not show coverage in AZ because I don't think WiMAX is offical here.

COX can be better than Century/Qwest/Us West/Ma Bell. The other metro fiber links are few and far between. 

While Cox can be better than CenturyLink, it's usually not. Anywhere a cell site would be located, CenturyLink normally has fiber stranded not too far away, and from what i've seen them do with bonded VDSL2 (i have it at home in downtown Phoenix), they can provide some serious bandwidth if necessary to the places fiber is not so close, and the advantage of using them over Cox is it's a real fiber link not the metro ethernet crap through a coax line that Cox runs (we have it at work, and it's reliability leaves a little to be desired)

Qwest gave DSL a bad name here in Phoenix, but ever since CenturyLink has taken over, i've had nothing but great experiences with it everywhere i've lived in the valley, and with the upgrades they're having to do for Prism, pretty much the whole network is going to have fiber readily available for companies like Sprint to tap into if necessary.

Make sure your phone supports band 25 or you will be disappointed.

While Cox can be better than CenturyLink, it's usually not. Anywhere a cell site would be located, CenturyLink normally has fiber stranded not too far away, and from what i've seen them do with bonded VDSL2 (i have it at home in downtown Phoenix), they can provide some serious bandwidth if necessary to the places fiber is not so close, and the advantage of using them over Cox is it's a real fiber link not the metro ethernet crap through a coax line that Cox runs (we have it at work, and it's reliability leaves a little to be desired)

Qwest gave DSL a bad name here in Phoenix, but ever since CenturyLink has taken over, i've had nothing but great experiences with it everywhere i've lived in the valley, and with the upgrades they're having to do for Prism, pretty much the whole network is going to have fiber readily available for companies like Sprint to tap into if necessary.

I think you are the first person I've seen on this board that has good things to say about CenturyLink.

Well good news, I went out to Camelback and 19th ave and to my pleasure the LTE showed up on my iPhone 5! So yes, Virgin also is able to get this. Must support band 25 I'd guess then too.

I think you are the first person I've seen on this board that has good things to say about CenturyLink.

They've always done me right, i still have a legacy Sprint landline dryloop DSL account i've had since 2006 set up at my sisters place in Ohio. It's price locked for $20/mo for 3/512k and has been solid since installed.

Here in Phoenix they've always worked quite well anywhere i've used them. The tech support is awful at times but my speeds are a consistent 40/5 (speed i'm currently on), up until last month i was on 80/40 bonded VDSL2 and it was solid 78/38 even during peak times, Cox even with Docsis 3 would usually drop packets like crazy around here and slow down to a crawl at times even when i was bonding 8 channels on my modem.

So overall i have no complaints, and i'm not giving my money to lame Cox (i really hate that cable company after three different places in the valley i experienced lots of error packets on my lines and it took Cox around three months each time to actually finally fix it, and then it'd usually come back randomly)

They've always done me right, i still have a legacy Sprint landline dryloop DSL account i've had since 2006 set up at my sisters place in Ohio. It's price locked for $20/mo for 3/512k and has been solid since installed.

Here in Phoenix they've always worked quite well anywhere i've used them. The tech support is awful at times but my speeds are a consistent 40/5 (speed i'm currently on), up until last month i was on 80/40 bonded VDSL2 and it was solid 78/38 even during peak times, Cox even with Docsis 3 would usually drop packets like crazy around here and slow down to a crawl at times even when i was bonding 8 channels on my modem.

So overall i have no complaints, and i'm not giving my money to lame Cox (i really hate that cable company after three different places in the valley i experienced lots of error packets on my lines and it took Cox around three months each time to actually finally fix it, and then it'd usually come back randomly)

You may have no complaints but there's a reason the entire New Mexico backhaul contract that Centurylink won got rejected for non compliant backhaul and put back out to bid during the summer. 

• Like 1

Wow I had no idea they even offered speeds that high. But that should probably be it for Cox/CenturyLink discussion because the mods like to keep things on topic. 

Wow I had no idea they even offered speeds that high. But that should probably be it for Cox/CenturyLink discussion because the mods like to keep things on topic.

So long as it's not too far off topic or too long, it's fine.

Sent from my HTC ONE

You may have no complaints but there's a reason the entire New Mexico backhaul contract that Centurylink won got rejected for non compliant backhaul and put back out to bid during the summer. 

I would imagine that's because most of it's rural and CL has not bothered to upgrade many of the remote areas past ADSL/ADSL2 yet. Also, i'm not sure what the network is like there. I know plenty of places cable is fine to be used for backhaul but in my opinion Cox is not one company that should ever be used.

Honestly, i know Sprint has a fiber drop here in Phoenix for SprintLink. I really do not see why they just do not use gigabit microwave since it's a big valley and it's not like they'll have a hard time getting line of sight considering most buildings here are not that tall.

I would imagine that's because most of it's rural and CL has not bothered to upgrade many of the remote areas past ADSL/ADSL2 yet. Also, i'm not sure what the network is like there. I know plenty of places cable is fine to be used for backhaul but in my opinion Cox is not one company that should ever be used.

Honestly, i know Sprint has a fiber drop here in Phoenix for SprintLink. I really do not see why they just do not use gigabit microwave since it's a big valley and it's not like they'll have a hard time getting line of sight considering most buildings here are not that tall.

It's probably much cheaper and easier for them to have somebody else deal with it.