Network Vision/LTE - Phoenix Market (including Flagstaff, Prescott)

MaxPower

Kind of off topic, but has to do with data speeds, and since I'm in PHX, here goes... I notice that when ever I run a speed test on my phone that the it is considerably slower then the speeds I get when I tether my phone to my laptop and run a speedtest. For example, when I run speed tests with my phone tethered to my PC (via speedtest.net) I get about 1000kbps DL, when I run the tests on my phone (via the speedtest.net App) I get about half that... 500kbps DL. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kind of off topic, but has to do with data speeds, and since I'm in PHX, here goes... I notice that when ever I run a speed test on my phone that the it is considerably slower then the speeds I get when I tether my phone to my laptop and run a speedtest. For example, when I run speed tests with my phone tethered to my PC (via speedtest.net) I get about 1000kbps DL, when I run the tests on my phone (via the speedtest.net App) I get about half that... 500kbps DL. Any ideas? Thanks!

Using the same servers?

Robert

Using the same servers?

Robert

That could be the issue... would that make it increase by 100% though? I'll definitely make sure the servers are the same next time. Thx.

That could be the issue... would that make it increase by 100% though? I'll definitely make sure the servers are the same next time. Thx.

yes, it easily could.

When you use the PC version, it actually pings servers to see which one is likely to be fastest.

The mobile app does not.

Speedtest servers are all different - one may be overloaded, one may be poor routing to sprint, etc.

Test all the servers around you - it's amazing how different they all are.

• Like 2

yes, it easily could.

When you use the PC version, it actually pings servers to see which one is likely to be fastest.

The mobile app does not.

Speedtest servers are all different - one may be overloaded, one may be poor routing to sprint, etc.

Test all the servers around you - it's amazing how different they all are.

Good info! Thank you!

I too have noticed this. I'll tether my phone on my laptop and get better speeds while tethering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if there were any update for Phoenix? I heard rumors that they were going to start on about 30 sites next month. Is that true? Thanks for any info!

Where did you hear this rumor? I don't think that is true. Last time I heard Phoenix is scheduled for late 2nd round and probably won't start breaking ground until early 2013.

I live in Phoenix and have always been puzzled by Sprint leaving the SIXTH Largest City in America out when it comes to 4G.

I remember reading that Sprint and Clear were even testing WiMax / LTE here about a year ago.

Testing but no deployment.

I have been a Sprint customer for about 12 years and have had no problem with the service. I just thought it odd.

I was wondering if there were any update for Phoenix? I heard rumors that they were going to start on about 30 sites next month. Is that true? Thanks for any info!

This is not accurate. The design for Phoenix is just wrapping up now. And it takes months to work out the logistics of a market after design is complete before deployment starts. Also, I have schedules of the first 20,000 sites and Phoenix is not in it.

On another note, Sprint is not using Phoenix as a 'test market' for its LTE.

The last real source of info on LTE deployment in Phoenix is: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-148-silver-lining-for-phoenix-and-tucsonyuma-marketsthe-schedule-appears-to-be-moving-up-for-the-grand-canyon-state/

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have been without data for the better part of 2 days. I was on the phone with Sprint Customer Support twice today. The second CSR informed me that there is a service bulletin for Flagstaff due to LTE upgrades taking place on at least 2 towers.

Verizon hasn't even thought about Flagstaff yet, so I'm a happy camper if this is true.

I am not aware of any Network Vision/LTE work in Arizona, yet. I think the earliest we will see any activity in the Phoenix market (which includes Flagstaff) is this Winter. Sprint has not even finished a detail schedule of the market, yet.

Robert

I have been without data for the better part of 2 days. I was on the phone with Sprint Customer Support twice today. The second CSR informed me that there is a service bulletin for Flagstaff due to LTE upgrades taking place on at least 2 towers.

Verizon hasn't even thought about Flagstaff yet, so I'm a happy camper if this is true.

Sprint CSRs are these days using that excuse for everything.

"Bad signal? Network vision upgrades, wait a few weeks!"

"No voicemail? Network vision upgrades, wait a few weeks!"

"Billing error? Network vision upgrades, wait a few weeks!"

I just had a customer say CARE told him they were turning LTE on in this area on Sept 21st which thanks to this website I know is wrong.

Wow! Sprint needs to drive home with bulletins and training to make sure their employees know not to speculate ever about LTE availability. It's one of the biggest problems with customer dissatisfaction. It may get them off the phone happy now, but will be a bigger problem after that date comes and goes.

Robert

• Like 1

One odd thing. Just got back to Phx today. Not sure if this qualifies for anything but been getting mobile regestration errors. The same as when i'd be in a NV'd area. I thought its my phone but it happened to two deferent units on two different accounts. Figure that one out?

One odd thing. Just got back to Phx today. Not sure if this qualifies for anything but been getting mobile regestration errors. The same as when i'd be in a NV'd area. I thought its my phone but it happened to two deferent units on two different accounts. Figure that one out?

I have been having the same issues here in New Mexico for the past 3 or 4 days on my GS3 and EVO LTE. Been driving me nuts. So it must be something more network related. NV definitely has not started here in NM.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, in chandler, work has been going on this tower for past 2 months - off and on. Replacing those top gizmo's.

Sorry for the image Q, phone camera while driving...

Beginnings of NV? Sprint tower near Riggs and McQueen.

cNQLg.jpg

Edited by claypidgeon

OK, drove by with a real camera this time. Does it look like NV was installed?

btw, they did spend at least a week on the "boxes" at the base.

mjg6A.jpg

Negative. Looks like AT&T on there top where they are working. I don't see any NV work in this pic. :(

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk