Network Vision/LTE - Phoenix Market (including Flagstaff, Prescott)

MaxPower

For the past 3 days I've been experiencing much faster data speeds throughout the Phoenix metro area. Last week the highest speeds I would get were about 900kbps and that was standing a few feet from Sprint's tower, now I can get over 1000kbps standing 2 miles from that tower.

The apartment complex I live in is almost a dead zone, speeds there have always been around 10-40kbps, standing outside. It has been that way since I first got Sprint about 1.5 years ago but last Friday night I hit about 1400kbps and my phone showed almost all bars, typically I get anywhere from 0-2 bars. The speeds did drop on Saturday and Sunday but not by much, I'm getting about 500kbps.

So what gives? Did Sprint flip on some sort of switch or was there some issue with my phone or am I going crazy?

• Like 2

For the past 3 days I've been experiencing much faster data speeds throughout the Phoenix metro area. Last week the highest speeds I would get were about 900kbps and that was standing a few feet from Sprint's tower' date=' now I can get over 1000kbps standing 2 miles from that tower.

The apartment complex I live in is almost a dead zone, speeds there have always been around 10-40kbps, standing outside. It has been that way since I first got Sprint about 1.5 years ago but last Friday night I hit about 1400kbps and my phone showed almost all bars, typically I get anywhere from 0-2 bars. The speeds did drop on Saturday and Sunday but not by much, I'm getting about 500kbps.

So what gives? Did Sprint flip on some sort of switch or was there some issue with my phone or am I going crazy?[/quote']

Switch? Wouldn't that be nice. Sprint has been spending over a billion dollars on network upgrades since the iPhone announcement to try to get things improved to tie us over until Network Vision arrives. Sounds like some of the band aids have shown up in your area of Phoenix.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Switch? Wouldn't that be nice. Sprint has been spending over a billion dollars on network upgrades since the iPhone announcement to try to get things improved to tie us over until Network Vision arrives. Sounds like some of the band aids have shown up in your area of Phoenix.

It's not unsual for those bandages to be applied at the same time? It seems weird that all of a sudden I'm getting decent speeds everywhere I go.

It's not unsual for those bandages to be applied at the same time? It seems weird that all of a sudden I'm getting decent speeds everywhere I go.

If those increased speeds are because of increased backhaul coming online, then no. It wouldnt be unusual.

Network Vision upgrades will even come online tower by tower and cluster by cluster.

• Like 1

Indianapolis area is pretty much upgraded by now but I remember similar experiences when the changes swept through. It seemed very sudden. I never had a lack of bars, just a lack of speed like they were over capacity. Now it's great though. I'm glad to see Sprint finally repairing it's image. I'm seeing more and more excitement for the carrier even just among my friends and family.

• Like 2

Indianapolis area is pretty much upgraded by now but I remember similar experiences when the changes swept through. It seemed very sudden. I never had a lack of bars, just a lack of speed like they were over capacity. Now it's great though. I'm glad to see Sprint finally repairing it's image. I'm seeing more and more excitement for the carrier even just among my friends and family.

Yes, I rarely lack bars but download speeds are really slow. The increased speeds haven't made all across the city though, I was at a park Saturday morning and had full bars with upload speeds of about 900kbps and dl speeds of just under 100kbps. I even lost connectivity twice.

I was in Phoenix last week to watch Spring Training. I probably gobbled up enough bandwidth insta-posting pics to Flickr of Ryan Braun and Zack Greinke to create an outage. My departure freed up that bandwidth and thats why Phoenix seems faster.

• Like 2

I rooted my phone with HTC's tool and it did a factory reset. My speeds are back down to 10-30kbps even after doing a profile and PRL update. I was getting 200kbps+ before the factory reset. What gives?

I rooted my phone with HTC's tool and it did a factory reset. My speeds are back down to 10-30kbps even after doing a profile and PRL update. I was getting 200kbps+ before the factory reset. What gives?

Are there newer radios for it? If you had them installed before reset and reset wiped them out, that could be why...

Probably tower saturation or something like that on the tower end. There's no "magic" to radio versions that people seem to think there is.

I already have the latest radio from what I can see.

I have had the same issue with some Custom MOD's I have used in my E4GT. I then installed a couple of different "radios" until one seemed best.

Robert

My speeds are fluctuating a lot, I can get anywhere from 1-300kbps. I'm trying to download all my apps again but I get a lot of network errors. I ran a speed test in the restroom (in the middle of the building away from all windows) and averaged about 900kbps. I usually get higher speeds in that restroom but never that high. My EVO has S-ON so IDK if I should flash a radio, XDA says not to. Maybe I'm just going crazy and I should leave the phone alone and see what happens tomorrow.

• Like 1

My speeds are fluctuating a lot, I can get anywhere from 1-300kbps. I'm trying to download all my apps again but I get a lot of network errors. I ran a speed test in the restroom (in the middle of the building away from all windows) and averaged about 900kbps. I usually get higher speeds in that restroom but never that high. My EVO has S-ON so IDK if I should flash a radio, XDA says not to. Maybe I'm just going crazy and I should leave the phone alone and see what happens tomorrow.

Yeah, I wouldn't do anything rash. No harm in waiting a day or two and see what shakes out.

Robert

Still in it.

Speedtest full bars with 0.05 mbps down.

And they say we aren't throttled. Pretty pathetic.

You aren't throttled. The EVDO network is overloaded. Sprint's Network Vision will fix those issues permanently.

Robert

• Like 1

Still in it.

Speedtest full bars with 0.05 mbps down.

And they say we aren't throttled. Pretty pathetic.

Use RootMetric's app "Coverage Map" as it is more reliable.

Also, 50k is weak even for a capacity-strained tower. Use the other app and take measurements around town.

For the past 3 days I've been experiencing much faster data speeds throughout the Phoenix metro area. Last week the highest speeds I would get were about 900kbps and that was standing a few feet from Sprint's tower, now I can get over 1000kbps standing 2 miles from that tower.

So what gives? Did Sprint flip on some sort of switch or was there some issue with my phone or am I going crazy?

I am seeing similar results in Tampa Bay, I know Network Vision / LTE is not here yet but as of late, data speeds have increased drastically. I am consistently getting 1-2.5 mbps on 3G.

Edited by cervonim
  • Like 2

I put a support ticket into Sprint a while back for my neighborhood, since we were getting 0.01 down with 5 bars showing.

I got a call yesterday telling me they serviced the tower over the weekend.

Speedtest last night was 0.09 down.

I guess they can document that they increased the speed 9X.

Figures--so pathetic.

I can't wait for Q4 when the supposed 3G improvements are supposed to be realized.