Google Nexus 6 by Motorola (Was "Nexus X talk leaked?")

smorcy11

Yeah, I think the entire ordeal was constructed just to create desire for the device.

I doubt it.  Not that many people are interested in Nexus handsets -- the mindshare is just too small outside of our industry/tech enclave.  And my estimate is that Google Play yesterday sold only a few thousand units.  This is not on the scale of an iPhone launch in which millions want one, and many of those millions may have to wait while supply works to meet demand.

AJ

So this article I read earlier today states that the reason the nexus 6 was out so quickly is because the majority of the purchases was made previously by the carriers thus depleting the amount Google had in stock to sell. Whether true or not, it probably makes sense.

Ahem…

And if this really was the launch, my guess is that the wireless operators got a much, much larger proportion of the stock this year.  The Nexus 6 price is just too high to warrant as many off contract or non financed sales through Google Play.

AJ

I doubt it.  Not that many people are interested in Nexus handsets -- the mindshare is just too small outside of our industry/tech enclave.  And my estimate is that Google Play yesterday sold only a few thousand units.  This is not like an iPhone launch in which millions want one, and many of those millions may have to wait while supply works to meet demand.

AJ

Cough Cough

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/10/29/nexus-6-hands-on-video-canada/

This is the most expensive Nexus device ever created, intended to be sold almost exclusively through the carrier channels, with only a small sliver of inventory available via Google Play. Robert Hamilton, product lead for the Nexus program, said that despite the conception by early adopters that the Nexus 4 and 5 were predominantly purchased from the Play Store, most were sold through the carrier channels.

I doubt it.  Not that many people are interested in Nexus handsets -- the mindshare is just too small outside of our industry/tech enclave.  And my estimate is that Google Play yesterday sold only a few thousand units.  This is not on the scale of an iPhone launch in which millions want one, and many of those millions may have to wait while supply works to meet demand.

AJ

I read an article that stated the 32 GB white sold out in 20 seconds whereas the blue sold out in 45 seconds. 

Cough Cough

I hope you feel better.  From the site you linked, you should take some of that MobileSyrup to treat your cough.

And, by timestamp yesterday, I win the Internet.  See my response above to twospirits.

AJ

I read an article that stated the 32 GB white sold out in 20 seconds whereas the blue sold out in 45 seconds. 

That tells us very little -- especially if only a few hundred to a few thousand were available for sale.  Nexus handset sales via Google Play may seem like a big deal, but they are a tempest in a teapot in the grand scheme of handset sales.  A supply limitation would not significantly "create desire." 

AJ

That tells us very little -- especially if only a few hundred to a few thousand were available for sale.  Nexus handset sales via Google Play may seem like a big deal, but they are a tempest in a teapot in the grand scheme of handset sales.  A supply limitation would not significantly "create desire." 

AJ

Do you think that the carrier's supplies will be somewhat limited as well?  I'm sure all of us that want a Nexus 6 will eventually get one - it's just a waiting game now.

I hope not, since I plan on getting it at Sprint mid Nov. The same for the Galaxy Note Edge which should be out on Nov 17-24 since T-Mobile will have it out on the 17

the app icons under the Edge don't look right/weird.

I just wish samsung didnt mess the Note lineup. 1 model every year is more than enough

I hope not, since I plan on getting it at Sprint mid Nov. The same for the Galaxy Note Edge which should be out on Nov 17-24 since T-Mobile will have it out on the 17th.

TS

I really hope Sprint will carry the 64 GB version, but I am doubtful. 

If non-Sprint carriers get it first, or some carriers have the 64GB model and Sprint doesn't, is there any reason why we couldn't just buy it from a different carrier and use it on Sprint? Or do they usually force you to have an active account with them? I'm guessing T-Mobile would be the easiest carrier to do this with.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If non-Sprint carriers get it first, or some carriers have the 64GB model and Sprint doesn't, is there any reason why we couldn't just buy it from a different carrier and use it on Sprint? Or do they usually force you to have an active account with them? I'm guessing T-Mobile would be the easiest carrier to do this with.

That's a good question.  Anybody know the answer?

Caveat emptor.  Last year, Nexus 5s purchased from T-Mobile were not in the Sprint database.  Only those purchased from Google Play or from Sprint could be activated on Sprint.

AJ

• Like 2

I really hope Sprint will carry the 64 GB version, but I am doubtful.

It would be nice to know.

T-Mobile is communicating with people on Twitter and answering peoples questions with real answers while Sprint says they have no idea. You have to appreciate what T-Mobile is doing as they act just add excited as there users are. They are carrying only mystic blue 32 and 64.

Does Sprint really not know yet when the phone will be available and/or which models they'll be carrying?

• Like 1

It would be nice to know.

T-Mobile is communicating with people on Twitter and answering peoples questions with real answers while Sprint says they have no idea. You have to appreciate what T-Mobile is doing as they act just add excited as there users are. They are carrying only mystic blue 32 and 64.

Does Sprint really not know yet when the phone will be available and/or which models they'll be carrying?

It seems they're actually clueless.

I tried preemptively ordering a nano SIM from Sprint International. They at first said OK and I ended up receiving a micro SIM yesterday. I contacted them and said they sent the wrong one, but they insisted it was correct for a Nexus 5 (my original request had it in writing that it was for an unreleased Nexus 6 that took a nano SIM).

After a back and forth where I explained again that it wasn't for a Nexus 5, they refused to send a nano SIM saying it wasn't in their database and they didn't know what size it took.... I said that it was a regular nano SIM and they made some excuse saying to prevent damage to my equipment and ensure optimal performance they can't send it out until it's in their database.

I'm tempted to just call and ask for a SIM for a Moto X. I'm guessing that takes the same nano SIM?

I litterally ordered as well, i double checked the order status and low and behold she too put in an order for a 3FF simcard. I restarted the chat and told them If I could use the 3FF in the phone I want to activate I would have done so. So Please cancel the order and send me the correct one i initially requested. I didn't mention the phone i was activating.

Regarding a SIM for the Nexus 6, guys, do not get your panties in a bunch over this.  And do not impugn Sprint CS over it.  No consumer has this handset yet, so it is not a pressing Sprint CS concern.  You can compare to T-Mobile CS all you want, but that is not a fair comparison.  T-Mobile deals with SIMs all the time.  Sprint does not.

So, ask for a nano SIM (4FF) for the Moto X.  Say you just bought a used one and need a new SIM.  Done.

AJ

• Like 3

It seems they're actually clueless.

I tried preemptively ordering a nano SIM from Sprint International. They at first said OK and I ended up receiving a micro SIM yesterday. I contacted them and said they sent the wrong one, but they insisted it was correct for a Nexus 5 (my original request had it in writing that it was for an unreleased Nexus 6 that took a nano SIM).

After a back and forth where I explained again that it wasn't for a Nexus 5, they refused to send a nano SIM saying it wasn't in their database and they didn't know what size it took.... I said that it was a regular nano SIM and they made some excuse saying to prevent damage to my equipment and ensure optimal performance they can't send it out until it's in their database.

I'm tempted to just call and ask for a SIM for a Moto X. I'm guessing that takes the same nano SIM?

I litterally ordered as well, i double checked the order status and low and behold she too put in an order for a 3FF simcard. I restarted the chat and told them If I could use the 3FF in the phone I want to activate I would have done so. So Please cancel the order and send me the correct one i initially requested. I didn't mention the phone i was activating.

Here is the correct Sprint part number:  760492013512 

ITEM DESCRIPTION:  SIMCARD  USIMLTEGSM4FF REMOV

Mine came about a week ago.  I called Sprint International 1-888-226-7212.  They will gladly help you.

Now, I've got the SIM, Have a Case coming next Monday along with a horizontal pouch.  I just need to get a Nexus 6 64 GB Midnight Blue into my hands!

• Like 2

Are we sure the current UICC/SIM cards being used are the same as the one needed for the Nexus 6?

I remember somewhere saying a new SIM would be required for LTE roaming. Could this phone be the first requiring a different type of SIM?

Here is the correct Sprint part number:  760492013512

ITEM DESCRIPTION:  SIMCARD  USIMLTEGSM4FF REMOV

Mine came about a week ago.  I called Sprint International 1-888-226-7212.  They will gladly help you.

Now, I've got the SIM, Have a Case coming next Monday along with a horizontal pouch.  I just need to get a Nexus 6 64 GB Midnight Blue into my hands!

Where did you get a case from so fast. I have a 3 piece iBlason case coming in 3 weeks; which is as fast as I could get it.

Are we sure the current UICC/SIM cards being used are the same as the one needed for the Nexus 6?

I remember somewhere saying a new SIM would be required for LTE roaming. Could this phone be the first requiring a different type of SIM?

CCA/RRPP compliant devices use CSIM's.

• Like 1

You bring up a valid question. The 760492013512 physically fits, but as for 100% rural roaming compatibility, I don't know.

EDIT: I didn't see Lilotimz post before I replied.

Here is the correct Sprint part number: 760492013512

ITEM DESCRIPTION: SIMCARD USIMLTEGSM4FF REMOV

Mine came about a week ago. I called Sprint International 1-888-226-7212. They will gladly help you.

Now, I've got the SIM, Have a Case coming next Monday along with a horizontal pouch. I just need to get a Nexus 6 64 GB Midnight Blue into my hands!

Where did you get a case from so fast. I have a 3 piece iBlason case coming in 3 weeks; which is as fast as I could get it.

I don't have the case yet. It will be released on Monday from a seller on Amazon.

Here is a link in-case you want to check it out. It should ship to me on Monday. I've been using the same case on my LG G3 and really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/TUDIA-Ultra-Bumper-Protective-Google/dp/B00OMMLL8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414714118&sr=8-1&keywords=Tudia+nexus+6