Google Nexus 6 by Motorola (Was "Nexus X talk leaked?")

smorcy11

I'm pretty sure the Nexus 5 is still pure and android and the built-in wireless charging is not going to be deactivated once the N6 comes out...

Just saying...

LOL....I never implied that the Nexus 5 lost those features now did I. Since My daily driver is a Nexus 5 I would know this 1st hand. I was making a list of why it is a good phone to buy as an upgrade from a Nexus 5 and listing why I would buy it in comparison to the Note 4.

I originally wanted the Note 4 all year I waited for it's launch until this came out. The higher price makes me really inspect why I should buy this instead of a Note 4. My main reason for wanting a Note 4 was screen size, and soft ware suite. The Note is more than just a big screen...that is my reason for looking solely at it. This phone comes out and complicates things, and with a higher price at 1st glance the Note starts to look more appealing until you really dissect what the Nexus 6 is offering.

LOL....I never implied that the Nexus 5 lost those features now did I. Since My daily driver is a Nexus 5 I would know this 1st hand. I was making a list of why it is a good phone to buy as an upgrade from a Nexus 5 and listing why I would buy it in comparison to the Note 4.

I originally wanted the Note 4 all year I waited for it's launch until this came out. The higher price makes me really inspect why I should buy this instead of a Note 4. My main reason for wanting a Note 4 was screen size, and soft ware suite. The Note is more than just a big screen...that is my reason for looking solely at it. This phone comes out and complicates things, and with a higher price at 1st glance the Note starts to look more appealing until you really dissect what the Nexus 6 is offering.

I know, I was joking. I was interested in the Note 4 as well when the rumors of the N6 were for a 5.2" screen. Now that it is phablet sized with dual front facing, I want the N6. I'm a hater of TouchWiz so my opinion is highly biased. I bought the M7 but wanted pure android and switched to the N5 but really missed the dual speakers. Glad they are making their way to the N6 and N9. Before the M7 I was saying HTC should build dual front speakers since the HTC Touch Pro 2, but I was saying that since they marketed that phone for conference calls/work purposes. Never though media... but N6 for the WIN!

I know, I was joking. I was interested in the Note 4 as well when the rumors of the N6 were for a 5.2" screen. Now that it is phablet sized with dual front facing, I want the N6. I'm a hater of TouchWiz so my opinion is highly biased. I bought the M7 but wanted pure android and switched to the N5 but really missed the dual speakers. Glad they are making their way to the N6 and N9. Before the M7 I was saying HTC should build dual front speakers since the HTC Touch Pro 2, but I was saying that since they marketed that phone for conference calls/work purposes. Never though media... but N6 for the WIN!

Lol...Hate Touch Wiz huh....I had HTC and loved sense then I went GS3, and was not fond of Touch Wiz. but as updates rolled out I began to like it.  I owned the Moto Photon, and liked the GS3 over it. I wanted a Note but the Note 3 did not offer Spark so I went Nexus 5 when I cracked the screen of my GS3. The Note 4 was on my radar all year long, as well as the Note Edge until this showed up.

No matter what the Note is the king of phablet, but since it does not have roaming  on the rural carriers I would have to buy another phone sooner than later. The Moto addresses the screen size and roaming but in the suite department , and camera department merely shows up as a phablet, but it has dual speakers, and fast updates from Google. If the Note had roaming for the rural carriers built in I would probably get it since the Nexus is priced so high, with less front and rear camera, and true software to take advantage of the screen size as the note and it's sty;us pen does.

• Like 1

So getting back the advantages of the Nexus 6 over the Nexus 5. All bands for CCA/RRPP are supported by the 6. Presumably the Nexus 5 doesn't have this capability?

The N5 doesn't support B12.

So getting back the advantages of the Nexus 6 over the Nexus 5. All bands for CCA/RRPP are supported by the 6. Presumably the Nexus 5 doesn't have this capability?

Doesn't matter until LTE roaming is actually available  <_<

Doesn't matter until LTE roaming is actually available  <_<

That's correct so make sure you address this thought when you purchase your next daily driver. This makes the Nexus a bit more desirable than the note. I need to have service capabilities where ever I go so having the roaming without having to buy another phone in a year if I don't have to appeals to me.

• Like 1

Weren't we thinking this fall LTE roaming was going to begin?

That's what I thought as well. We must have missed something...

The N5 doesn't support B12.

Since the Nexus 6 is so ridiculously huge, the Nexus 5 should stay in the lineup and receive a band 12 revision.  The antenna would not need to be upgraded.  The only hardware that might need to be upgraded would be the RF amplifier, which may be limited to band 17.  Or if the amp already covers band 12, then the Nexus 5 would need just a firmware update to support band 12.

AJ

• Like 3

Since the Nexus 6 is so ridiculously huge, the Nexus 5 should stay in the lineup and receive a band 12 revision. The antenna would not need to be upgraded. The only hardware that might need to be upgraded would be the RF amplifier, which may be limited to band 17. Or if the amp already covers band 12, then the Nexus 5 would need just a firmware update to support band 12.

AJ

On google play store the nexus 5 is prominently listed next to the nexus 6 and 9 on the product menu with the nexus 7 and 10 nowhere to be found. I take it as that is google intention to have a phablet and normal 5'' flagship but I could be wrong...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe Google is gonna start releasing on the same cycle as the major manufacturers with a "normal sized" flagship in the Spring and a phablet in the Fall? (I hope)

I went to Sprint today, and I played with the Note 4, and the iPhone 6, and 6+. The better looking phone is the Note 4 when you compare it to the iPhone 6+ in my opinion. There was no lag in the Note 4 the unit looked clean and the screen was fabulous. Although it had an aluminum side I think that the aluminum is a step in the right direction, but could have been better designed.

The Note 4 compared to my Nexus 5 is just a few millimeters wider, and mostly longer. The screen may just be one of the most vibrant on the market. Touchwiz was smooth, and fluid and I tried hard to find lag, but I found none at all. Touchwiz for the Note is loaded with features that you either love or hate, but the stylus will always set the Note above all other Phablets in my opinion.

"If" the Nexus 6 is just a bit taller than the Note 4 so be it since after holding the iPhone 6+ was more taller than it was wide the Nexus 6 will be a worthy competitor to the iPhone 6+. I think that pure Android, and rural roaming will keep me satisfied for the next two years no doubt!  If it doesn't it won't be because the I have to upgrade to receive the new rural partner signal! If the Nexus 6 were the size of the Note for it would be a bit more appealing, but remember the dual speakers and you can see the possible need to have a larger form factor to handle a larger screen and speakers. That said I think that I will enjoy watching Netflix when I take long trips, or just browse the web with the Nexus 6.

Maybe Google is gonna start releasing on the same cycle as the major manufacturers with a "normal sized" flagship in the Spring and a phablet in the Fall? (I hope)

That would make sense as opposed to refreshing every other year each version. Or, keep the Nexus 5 until next Fall, and release both at the same time. Either way, having 2 versions of pure Android Nexus directly from Google would be a great move for Nexus fans.
  • Like 2

Since the Nexus 6 is so ridiculously huge, the Nexus 5 should stay in the lineup and receive a band 12 revision. The antenna would not need to be upgraded. The only hardware that might need to be upgraded would be the RF amplifier, which may be limited to band 17. Or if the amp already covers band 12, then the Nexus 5 would need just a firmware update to support band 12.

AJ

Any indications for this or just a hopeful wish?

Did anyone notice on the specs page for the N6 it will be using a nano sim? I wonder how hard it will be to get a hold of one since it was a pain to get a hold of a micro sim for the N5...

Last year I called Sprint International and asked for a Sim for the N5 and they sent it at no charge. Should be just as easy for this one.

Last year I called Sprint International and asked for a Sim for the N5 and they sent it at no charge. Should be just as easy for this one.

You were one of the lucky ones like I was. If you look back at the N5 thread around launch and a few months after launch some members here were having trouble getting a hold of one. Some stores were uneducated about the sim situation or simply didn't want to part ways with one. Some members here had better luck at 3rd party retailers vs. Sprint corp. owned...

You were one of the lucky ones like I was. If you look back at the N5 thread around launch and a few months after launch some members here were having trouble getting a hold of one. Some stores were uneducated about the sim situation or simply didn't want to part ways with one. Some members here had better luck at 3rd party retailers vs. Sprint corp. owned...

Is there a reason you couldn't reuse your existing SIM and just get it cut to the right size? Looks like you can buy a cutting tool online for $5. I'm surprised the stores don't have SIM cutters for the reps to use actually.

Is there a reason you couldn't reuse your existing SIM and just get it cut to the right size? Looks like you can buy a cutting tool online for $5. I'm surprised the stores don't have SIM cutters for the reps to use actually.

That is an option worst case scenario. Personally, I don't think it should have to come to that though. If you get tires too small for your rims do you cut them wider and force the rims in? No, you get bigger tires. You expect to be able to buy the correct tires for your rims (I have no problem paying a few extra dollars for the correct sim). You should be able to get the correct parts needed for the product you bought. Regardless of proportion to cost, size, or how easy it is to modify a sim, we shouldn't have to. Just saying...

• Like 1

Did anyone notice on the specs page for the N6 it will be using a nano sim? I wonder how hard it will be to get a hold of one since it was a pain to get a hold of a micro sim for the N5...

My Sharp AQUOS Crystal uses a Nano SIM and so does the iPhones. I don't think it will be too bad. And if you buy from Sprint, it will ship with it.

• Like 1

Assuming Google's pricing and Sprint's will be the same, I'd imagine the "buy from Play Store and then beg Sprint for a SIM" option won't be so popular this time around. (Hopefully Sprint will carry all the color/size combos.)

Plus my understanding is that the nano SIM isn't a simple trim; you have to shave down the height as well. This means a nano SIM is a bit better behaved when put in a tray adapter for the larger sizes, but that modifying by hand is hard.

The other big question is whether Sprint goes to SIM-based CDMA authentication for the Nexus 6.

• Like 2