New coverage map posted for 8/21 -- Changed -- 8/25

dkyeager

Nothing new that I could spot in my areas on 8/25, please recheck your areas.

The Austin map is laughable. There are plenty of LTE holes even on highways in town/outdoors. Also interesting that my Nexus 5 isn't listed as a Spark device.

So is the Nexus 5 a Spark device or not?  If not currently is there still a pending update?  Doesn't affect me but DiL has  Nexus 5 in what the DFW maps ID as a Spark Turbo area. 

So is the Nexus 5 a Spark device or not?  If not currently is there still a pending update?  Doesn't affect me but DiL has  Nexus 5 in what the DFW maps ID as a Spark Turbo area. 

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?deviceSKUId=78200232

It is listed as a Spark device by Sprint so yes. The coverage map device tool is just outdated.

So is the Nexus 5 a Spark device or not? If not currently is there still a pending update? Doesn't affect me but DiL has Nexus 5 in what the DFW maps ID as a Spark Turbo area.

Yes it is a Spark device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

ROBERTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

Thought I am weeks behind this had me ROTFLMAO!!!!! Oh hey... another acronym....  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Let's not call it a lie. That's very harsh. It's more like, "So far from the truth, that it cannot be relied upon or believed in any fashion whatsoever."

Maybe make that an acronym? SFTTTICBRUOBIAFW.

Well, that's wonky. OK, how about 'not very representative of reality.' NVRR. As in never! NeVeRR!!!

Maybe lie isn't so bad after all? :)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

ROBERTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

Thought I am weeks behind this had me ROTFLMAO!!!!! Oh hey... another acronym....  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I aim to please!   :ty:

LOL! It shows the whole lima and surrounding areas have 4G LTE. being that i live in this area that is dead wrong. there is no 4G in lima  at all. you need to go south out of lima then you get a weak signal. 

The area code is 45801 if you are interested.

The only question i have is how is this even calculated? do they just take what a tower is throwing out and map it or do they actually have someone out taking readings?

I know a few people with tri band phones and there is no 800 LTE or 1x800 in lima just yet either.

Edited by stuckinohio1

LOL! It shows the whole lima and surrounding areas have 4G LTE. being that i live in this area that is dead wrong. there is no 4G in lima  at all. you need to go south out of lima then you get a weak signal. 

The area code is 45801 if you are interested.

The only question i have is how is this even calculated? do they just take what a tower is throwing out and map it or do they actually have someone out taking readings?

I know a few people with tri band phones and there is no 800 LTE or 1x800 in lima just yet either.

The zoomed out Sprint LTE maps are worthless.  You need to zoom in on the LTE maps to where it shows color gradients for BEST and FAIR coverage.  And then ignore the FAIR all together.  The BEST coverage areas are typically pretty accurate for outdoor coverage.  This is also true of Verizon, where I ignore the light red and only count on service in the dark red areas.  And on Tmo, you can only count on coverage in the darkest two colors, the lightest two colors are not accurate for LTE.

At least on Sprint, Verizon and Tmo you can zoom in and see different color gradients and ignore the lightest colors.  On AT&T, they just have LTE orange everywhere.  And I find it awfully inaccurate.  They need to graduate their LTE coverage so we have some chance of being able to tell where LTE coverage actually is.

• Like 1

The zoomed out Sprint LTE maps are worthless.  You need to zoom in on the LTE maps to where it shows color gradients for BEST and FAIR coverage.  And then ignore the FAIR all together.  The BEST coverage areas are typically pretty accurate for outdoor coverage.  This is also true of Verizon, where I ignore the light red and only count on service in the dark red areas.  And on Tmo, you can only count on coverage in the darkest two colors, the lightest two colors are not accurate for LTE.

At least on Sprint, Verizon and Tmo you can zoom in and see different color gradients and ignore the lightest colors.  On AT&T, they just have LTE orange everywhere.  And I find it awfully inaccurate.  They need to graduate their LTE coverage so we have some chance of being able to tell where LTE coverage actually is.

i took your advice and zoomed in to where it showed different color gradients and it did change a bit but shows most of the area in the "best" category i am in lima and around it daily and you cant get 4G LTE anywhere inside or out of lima at this point. i only have my Note 3 which is single band but i have a few friends with Tri band phones and its the same.

Im not aggravated one bit. i know we have been waiting on backhaul since all of the towers were actually upgraded like 6 months ago. i am just a bit peeved that whoever makes the maps jumped the gun and decided to add all that 4G LTE when there never was any. 

When people in my area look at this and go OOO 4GLTE FROM SPRINT? and find out its not true sprint could have a bit of a backlash from the people around here. not to mention its borderline false advertising to wich other more pro active people may take up with the FCC or BBB. (not me though to lazy lol)

Edited by stuckinohio1
  • Like 1

When people in my area look at this and go OOO 4GLTE FROM SPRINT? and find out its not true sprint could have a bit of a backlash from the people around here. not to mention its borderline false advertising to wich other more pro active people may take up with the FCC or BBB. (not me though to lazy lol)

They get away with out the false advertising by having the small text saying something about you may not get coverage in all advertised areas for x & y Reasons. They are "highly accurate". But all the carriers need new ways they get their coverage information. Way overstated in my opinion.

i took your advice and zoomed in to where it showed different color gradients and it did change a bit but shows most of the area in the "best" category i am in lima and around it daily and you cant get 4G LTE anywhere inside or out of lima at this point. i only have my Note 3 which is single band but i have a few friends with Tri band phones and its the same.

Im not aggravated one bit. i know we have been waiting on backhaul since all of the towers were actually upgraded like 6 months ago. i am just a bit peeved that whoever makes the maps jumped the gun and decided to add all that 4G LTE when there never was any. 

It is true that the maps exaggerate coverage. We all know that.

Taking a closer look a Lima, it would appear the LTE coverage they are showing is coming from one site that is live south of town on I-75. Since no sites in the immediate Lima area have LTE live, it will make it very difficult for you to pick up any of that coverage. However, if you were to take a Tri-Band device and put it into LTE only mode (this means no calls or texts) while outside in one of the "best" zones on the map, you would probably pick up a weak B26 signal. However, with a Note 3, you're likely out of luck. It sucks, and I hope sites near you get LTE soon so the map will be more representative. 

It is true that the maps exaggerate coverage. We all know that.

Taking a closer look a Lima, it would appear the LTE coverage they are showing is coming from one site that is live south of town on I-75. Since no sites in the immediate Lima area have LTE live, it will make it very difficult for you to pick up any of that coverage. However, if you were to take a Tri-Band device and put it into LTE only mode (this means no calls or texts) while outside in one of the "best" zones on the map, you would probably pick up a weak B26 signal. However, with a Note 3, you're likely out of luck. It sucks, and I hope sites near you get LTE soon so the map will be more representative. 

its no big deal really. 3G is still fast enough to web brows and download small things without a problem. i know what tower the signal is coming from to as i have driven past it and it was almost completely unloaded. i was able to get like 35/10 from it.

i bet the reason is simply because it was built for the highway and there are actually very few houses around that tower. i just dont get how it was upgraded so fast because its like in the middle of a field and it doesnt have wireless backhaul. but eh whatevs 4G will be here sooner or later, hopefully before the end of the year though.

its no big deal really. 3G is still fast enough to web brows and download small things without a problem. i know what tower the signal is coming from to as i have driven past it and it was almost completely unloaded. i was able to get like 35/10 from it.

i bet the reason is simply because it was built for the highway and there are actually very few houses around that tower. i just dont get how it was upgraded so fast because its like in the middle of a field and it doesnt have wireless backhaul. but eh whatevs 4G will be here sooner or later, hopefully before the end of the year though.

It's often much easier to run fiber to rural sites than urban sites believe it or not. It's also possible that it has a different backhaul provider than the sites in Lima. Hopefully whoever it is gets on it soon. 

It's often much easier to run fiber to rural sites than urban sites believe it or not. It's also possible that it has a different backhaul provider than the sites in Lima. Hopefully whoever it is gets on it soon. 

its all good. i know work is going on as i see trucks of all sorts at the the towers around here. they seem to be very busy. my guess is they are trying to get backhaul in before the end of the year.

They did the same in the Hocking Hills southeast of Columbus.