Sprint to enforce roaming data limits, send SMS notifications

Rocket87

I think I only went over my 300MB limit once. I don't think this is a big deal, really. As long as CCA LTE is treated native, or at least differently.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I understand the need for this, but it is also a little frustrating. I got a nastygram from Sprint back in April or May that I was over my limit even though I had never left town. Very often my phone would switch to roaming in town when inside buildings. Listening to Pandora a few hours a week at work (no wifi there), and I would be pushing the roaming limits.

So, part of the problem is being a victim of the network issues.

I understand the need for this, but it is also a little frustrating. I got a nastygram from Sprint back in April or May that I was over my limit even though I had never left town. Very often my phone would switch to roaming in town when inside buildings. Listening to Pandora a few hours a week at work (no wifi there), and I would be pushing the roaming limits.

So, part of the problem is being a victim of the network issues.

It will cause some users to revalulate how Sprint works for them. That's for certain. But the roaming limits have always existed. Now there will just be enforcement.

In a roundabout way, if churn increases are logged as a result of excessive roaming being denied, this is a beautiful source of data to remind sprint where its biggest issues are with inadequate organic coverage. It should have always been this way, rather than letting customers go unmetered and sweeping the roaming bill under the rug

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Smart way to lower costs, lower prices, and still be able to afford the network deployment schedule.

Great point. Marcelo said they were going to have to cut costs to compete on price. And this is low hanging fruit. This is one of the easy decisions. Cut people from roaming beyond what they're given in their TOS.

• Like 2

In a roundabout way, if churn increases are logged as a result of excessive roaming being denied, this is a beautiful source of data to remind sprint where its biggest issues are with inadequate organic coverage. It should have always been this way, rather than letting customers go unmetered and sweeping the roaming bill under the rug

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

But wasn't that the reason Virgin Mobile/ Boost Mobile exist? There are different tiers of service between Sprint and Virgin Mobile/Boost and they priced differently.

But wasn't that the reason Virgin Mobile/ Boost Mobile exist? There are different tiers of service between Sprint and Virgin Mobile/Boost and they priced differently.

Boost and Virgin simply attract a different market base.

Sprint as whole needed to get smart on the roaming abusers, and now they are set.

Seems like a great way to stop the d-bags from slamming a bunch of roaming traffic through to get out of contract.

Will all roaming traffic be EVDO now since it is capped?

Some sit under the coverage of a broken legacy site. Sprint shows no efforts to remediate this issue for them. Not the customers fault by any means.
  • Like 6

Some sit under the coverage of a broken legacy site. Sprint shows no efforts to remediate this issue for them. Not the customers fault by any means.

It's not.  And Sprint should just let these people go if they are not going to rectify their problem.  I received an email the other day from a Sprint site acquisition attorney.  I will get around to sending you a message about it later today or tomorrow.  It will explain some of the dilemma you're having Downtown.

Robert

It's not. And Sprint should just let these people go if they are not going to rectify their problem. I received an email the other day from a Sprint site acquisition attorney. I will get around to sending you a message about it later today or tomorrow. It will explain some of the dilemma you're having Downtown.

Robert

Fortunately they forced my hand to go a different direction so I am not having that issue anymore. Just speaking for others with high 1+gb roaming in this area.
  • Like 1

It's not. And Sprint should just let these people go if they are not going to rectify their problem. I received an email the other day from a Sprint site acquisition attorney. I will get around to sending you a message about it later today or tomorrow. It will explain some of the dilemma you're having Downtown.

Robert

Enquiring minds want to know ????

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Enquiring minds want to know

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's not public knowledge, but it is something I'm willing to share with digiblur because it speaks speaks specifically to an issue he was having.

Robert

• Like 4

According to the new Sprint Family Shared Pack that went into effect today, there is now a 25¢/MB charge for exceeding the 100MB roaming data limit of the new plans.  It's in very fine print, and the plan info is in the form of an image on their site, making it even harder to read.

Link

According to the new Sprint Family Shared Pack that went into effect today, there is now a 25¢/MB charge for exceeding the 100MB roaming data limit of the new plans. It's in very fine print, and the plan info is in the form of an image on their site, making it even harder to read.

Link

Not really cool if true. I have used roaming data in the past and did not even know I was roaming. I guess I will just have to turn data roaming off.

I personally would like to be able to pay to roam over my limit rather than be turned off. I like that option, myself. 25 cents though is steep! That's $250/GB. That's ridiculous. They don't pay rates like that. They should charge no more than double what they pay.

• Like 4

According to the new Sprint Family Shared Pack that went into effect today, there is now a 25¢/MB charge for exceeding the 100MB roaming data limit of the new plans.  It's in very fine print, and the plan info is in the form of an image on their site, making it even harder to read.

Link

Owch. An overage of 1GB will set you back $250. Imagine that massive bill shock. >.<

Edit: Robert beat me to it.

• Like 1

Yikes, that sounds like a big step back as far as roaming goes. I can see that blowing up in their face sometime down the road too. I like the idea of having it cut off at the limit and then give you the option to purchase a reasonably priced roaming data bucket.....and while I'm being idealistic, have that roaming bucket rollover until it's used up with say for example a 1 year expiration date.

Well this is weid here is the playbook about roaming.963003e9563d83fbce584a00505eeeb3.jpg

And here is the family family share fine print. Im not sure what to tell you guys. Im not sure which to believe. 4e2881b8cfa99c73f66e24794138a310.jpg

They'll probably charge for roaming data over 100MB, up to 300MB when they'll just cut it completely.

After reading it again suspension happens at 300mb no matter the limit. So im guessing they could charge the .25 on family share from 100 to 300mb.

That's still a hefty roaming bill of up to $50 for roaming. Yikes!

I personally would like to be able to pay to roam over my limit rather than be turned off. I like that option, myself. 25 cents though is steep! That's $250/GB. That's ridiculous. They don't pay rates like that. They should charge no more than double what they pay.

I concur. It's never a bad idea to give people the flexibility to pay for what they need. My beef with this is also the price.

Ideally, the FCC would require that the details of these roaming arrangements be made public. If their wholesale roaming rate was public knowledge, perhaps Sprint would think twice before trying to charge their customers such rates. That goes for the company providing the roaming as well.